Savanna High School
||This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Savanna High School|
|301 North Gilbert Street
Anaheim, California 92801
|Type||Public high school|
|School board||Anaheim Union High School District|
|Superintendent||Michael B. Matsuda|
|Color(s)||Red & Gray|
Savanna High School (SHS) is a public high school in the Anaheim Union High School District (AUHSD), located in the city of Anaheim in Orange County, California, of the United States. Savanna was established in 1961 and is one of eight comprehensive high schools within the district. Their mascot is "Johnny Rebel" and a statue of a Civil War era soldier stood in the middle of the central courtyard of the school from 1964 until 2009 when it was removed due to deterioration. "Savanna High School Mighty Marching Band and Colorguard" have been to the Bands of America Field Tournament, Tournament of Champions, the Hawaii Invitational, and is the only school in the district to qualify in the SCSBOA Championships and place as they won first for their 2009-2010 show Medieval Motives.
The Mighty Marching Rebel Band and Color Guard
The Mighty Marching Rebel Band and Color Guard is one of the few high school bands in the AUHSD that has qualified for the SCSBOA championships all twelve years[clarification needed]. In 2008, their show "Letters from Home" won them 4th place. In 2009, their show "Medieval Motives" won them the championships with 1st place. In 2010, their show "Sacred Ground" won them 7th place. In 2011, their show "Danzas del Mundo" won them (again) 4th place. This Savanna band has been a 5A division band and only in the 2011-2012 season did the band moved up one division to compete against bigger bands.
During the 2002 field show season, the Savanna Mighty Marching Rebel Band and pageantry placed sweepstakes the highest score of the entire evening for the division 6A [clarification needed] which is the division for the biggest band for their show "The Wizard of Oz."[clarification needed]
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Don Aase, former major league baseball pitcher.
- Marty Castillo, former major league baseball catcher/infielder.
- Steve DeBerg, former National Football League quarterback.
- Stephen Hillenburg, creator of SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Glenn Hoffman, former major league baseball infielder, presently a coach for the San Diego Padres.
- Trevor Hoffman, major league baseball relief pitcher.
- Al Hrabosky, former major league baseball relief pitcher.
- Greg Mathews, former major league baseball pitcher.
- Bernice Orwig, water polo player who won silver medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics.
- Rick Ownbey, former major league baseball pitcher.
- Allen Shellenberger, drummer of the band Lit.
- John L. Valentine, Utah state senator.
- Cress Williams, Film and television actor.
- Savanna High School's "School Accountability Report Card" (SARC), p. 3, published during 2015-16, using data from the 2014-15 school year. Accessed 2016-08-12.
- Marroquin, Art (February 19, 2015). "School board rejects bid to restore 'Rebel' statue". Orange County Register.
- K.E.D. (April 2003). "Cover Biography for April 2003". Current Biography. H. W. Wilson Company. Archived from the original on August 14, 2011. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "Trevor Hoffman Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Savanna High School.|