Savanna High School
This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Savanna High School|
301 North Gilbert Street
|Type||Public high school|
|School board||Anaheim Union High School District|
|Superintendent||Michael B. Matsuda|
|Color(s)||Red & Gray|
Savanna High School (SHS) is a public high school in the Anaheim Union High School District (AUHSD), located in the city of Anaheim in Orange County, California, of the United States. Savanna was established in 1961 and is one of eight comprehensive high schools within the district. Their mascot was "Johnny Rebel", a statue of a Civil War era soldier that stood in the middle of the central courtyard of the school from 1964 until 2009 when it was removed due to deterioration. In 2017, a school-wide debate occurred after some students and parents questioned the racist background of the "Johnny Rebel" mascot. After a school-wide poll asking students whether to replace. rebrand, or keep the mascot, the school district board made a majority vote to rebrand the mascot, keeping the name to "Rebel" but altering the look and history. "Savanna High School Mighty Marching Band and Colorguard" have been to the Bands of America Field Tournament, Tournament of Champions, the Hawaii Invitational, and is the only school in the district to qualify in the SCSBOA Championships and place as they won first for their 2009-2010 show Medieval Motives.
- Don Aase, former major league baseball pitcher.
- Marty Castillo, former major league baseball catcher/infielder.
- Steve DeBerg, former National Football League quarterback.
- Stephen Hillenburg, creator of SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Glenn Hoffman, former major league baseball infielder, presently a coach for the San Diego Padres.
- Trevor Hoffman, major league baseball relief pitcher.
- Al Hrabosky, former major league baseball relief pitcher.
- Greg Mathews, former major league baseball pitcher.
- Bernice Orwig, water polo player who won silver medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics.
- Rick Ownbey, former major league baseball pitcher.
- Allen Shellenberger, drummer of the band Lit.
- John L. Valentine, Utah state senator.
- Cress Williams, Film and television actor.
- Savanna High School's "School Accountability Report Card" (SARC), p. 3, published during 2015-16, using data from the 2014-15 school year. Accessed 2016-08-12.
- "Savanna High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- Marroquin, Art (February 19, 2015). "School board rejects bid to restore 'Rebel' statue". Orange County Register.
- K.E.D. (April 2003). "Cover Biography for April 2003". Current Biography. H. W. Wilson Company. Archived from the original on August 14, 2011. Retrieved December 20, 2013.
- "Trevor Hoffman Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved November 18, 2012.