Dharamsinh Desai University
|Chancellor||N. D. Desai|
|Vice-Chancellor||H. M. Desai|
|Undergraduates||660 every year|
|Postgraduates||100 every year|
|Location||Nadiad, Gujarat, India|
|Campus||42 acres (170,000 m2)|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, NBA, AIU, AICTE|
|Website||Dharmsinh Desai University|
Coordinates: Dharmsinh Desai University(DDU) formerly known as Dharmsinh Desai Institute of Technology(DDIT) was founded in 1968 as an institution of higher learning in Nadiad, Gujarat, India in the fields of Engineering and Technology.
- 1 History
- 2 Recognition
- 3 Status
- 4 Campus
- 5 Industry and University links
- 6 Ranking
- 7 Faculty of Technology
- 8 Faculty of Management and Information Science
- 9 Faculty of Pharmacy
- 10 Doctoral programme
- 11 Notable alumni
- 12 Notable faculty
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Dharmsinh Desai Institute of Technology was founded in 1968 by Dharmsinh Dadubhai Desai, who then was a member of Parliament, as an institution of higher learning in the field of Engineering and Technology. It achieved autonomous status under Gujarat University in 1991, and Deemed University status in June 2000.
In 2005 the institute achieved full university status and was renamed as Dharmsinh Desai University (DDU). The university started a bachelor's course in Dental Surgery from 2005. Faculty of Pharmacy was established at University in 2006  It is the first university of Gujarat to get permission of start a Nanotechnology course from 2012.
- In November 2013, The organization in UK, the 'Oxford Summit of Leaders', chose Dharmsinh Desai University as the best regional university. This is the first time the Oxford group has given this award to a university outside Europe.
- On the 21st of May 2015 DDU was felicitated for being in the ‘Asia’s 100 Best and Fastest way Educational Institutes 2014-15’ by the WCRC Leaders Asian Education Excellence Summit & Awards.
DDIT achieved autonomous university status in 1991 which meant it could conduct exams and not follow the parent university, Gujarat University, examination schedule (though the degree certificate awarded still retained the name of Gujarat University). It achieved a Deemed University status in June 2000, which meant that the degree certificates show that they are awarded from DDIT. In April 2005, DDIT achieved full university status and was renamed DDU, an abbreviation for Dharmsinh Desai University. The entire academic process is certified by ISO 9001:2008 by KPMG,USA.
The university is located on the northern Bank of Mahi Canal and the southern outskits of Nadiad city about 3 km from Nadiad railway station and 2 km from Mahatma Gandhi Expressway Nadiad toll plaza. The nearest international airport Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad is 60 km from DDU. The DDU campus is spread over 42 acres of land. Library at university is adorned by LAN and all computer facility. There is a playground at campus for Cricket, Football, Volleyball and Basketball. One sport room is also available for all types of indoor games. Multimedia Hall, Seminar Hall and conference Room and placement cell are an integral part of the University.
The faculty has links with industries such as Reliance Industries for R & D, KHS GmbH Germany for training students abroad, and Infosys for students training under the campus network. The University further signed a MoU with Bosch Rexroth in 2013, under which special labs and training opportunities will be made available for students studying in Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Communications Engineering and Instrumentation and Control Engineering. It has a Memorandum of Understanding with the University of Iowa, USA, for the BE+MS five year integrated program.
Dharamsinh Desai University has been ranked as the 88th best Engineering College of India in the Edu-Rand Rankings of 2015. The survey was done jointly by Edu, an Indian company and Rand Corporation, a non-profit American thinktank.
Faculty of Technology
The Faculty of Technology of DDU grants Bachelor of Technology(B.Tech.) and Master of Technology(M.Tech.) in various engineering fields. The Faculty of Technology is headed by Dean D. G. Panchal. The faculty of technology started offering Degree and Diploma in Chemical Engineering(1968), then Degree courses in Civil Engineering(1981), Electronics and Communication Engineering(1981), Computer Engineering(1985), Instrumentation and control engineering(1985), and Information Technology(1999). It also added Post Graduate level programs like Master of Technology(M.Tech.) in Chemical Engineering(1981), then in Electronics and Communication Engineering(1986), Civil Engineering (1986), Instrumentation and control engineering(2002), Computer Engineering(2002). All engineering Degree is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE) and all its departments are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation(NBA).
There are different departments in faculty of technology listed below.
- Chemical engineering department
- Civil engineering department
- Computer engineering department
- Electronics and communication engineering department
- Information and technology engineering department
- Instrumentation and control engineering department
- Mechanical engineering department
Shah-Schulman Center for Surface Science & Nanotechnology
Shah-Schulman Center for Surface Science and Nanotechnology(SSCSSN) was established in April 2008 under a unique model: a partnership between Dharmsinh Desai University, Government and the Industry. SSCSSN is established in the Faculty of Technology, Dharmsinh Desai University (DDU), Nadiad, Gujarat, India with initial funding from Industries & Mines Department, Government of Gujarat. The SSCSSN is an R&D center that accommodates about 21 sophisticated instruments to carry out research and analysis in Surface Science and Nanotechnology. SSCSSN has entered in to tri-partite agreement with University of Florida and Columbia University under the IUCRC program of National Science Foundation, USA. Dept. of Science & Technology. India will support this program in India. Under this program 25 companies have joined SSCSSN as Industry Advisory Board Members for Industry oriented research activities. SSCSSN-DDU is one of the first such partners from Gujarat to enter into this NSF sponsored International program. Center also has collaborative projects with nearby Universities in these areas as well as overseas Institutions in Sweden, Taiwan and USA. Center also offers a unique Master of Technology(M.Tech.) Program in Surface Science and Nanotechnology.
Anchor Institute (Chemicals & Petrochemicals)
Anchor Institute (Chemicals & Petrochemicals) was established in 2008 with an objective of taking various initiatives in creating readily employable and industry responsive Man Power, at all level for chemicals & Petrochemicals across the State. This includes preparing Course curriculum and benchmarking and Training for the Trainers/Faculties.
R&D centre of Computer Science
DDU has a R&D centre since 1998 and its main objective is to carry out research activity in the area of Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Application and Electronics & Communication with the respective faculty members. R & D centre has guided several projects of under-graduate and post-graduate students in very diverse areas. The R&D Center undertakes real life IT based projects from Industry and Research organizations including Government and provides technical solutions to their problems. The R&D facility is also extended to final year students of our institute for their final year project work. The R&D centre of the University has developed a Portrait Building System which is successfully used at every District Police Headquarters in the Country to arrest criminals.
Indradhanush WordNet is a mission mode project funded by Ministry of Communications and Information Technology,Government of India, New Delhi and executed by a consortium of nine academic institutions from all over India. The title of the project is Development of Indradhanush: an Integrated WordNet for Bengali, Gujarati, Kashmiri, Konkani, Odia,Punjabi and Urdu. These WordNets are developed at different institutes in India and co-ordinated by IIT Bombay. These WordNets are constructed and linked to Hindi and English WordNets and amongst each other.The Institutions involved in this WordNet development activity were: Goa University, IIT Bombay,Indian Statistical Institute, University of Kashmir, University of Hyderabad, Punjabi University, Thapar University, Dharmsinh Desai University and Jawaharlal Nehru University. 
The ANUVADAKSH An Expert English to Indian Languages Machine Translation System [EILMT] is a state-of-the-art solution that allows translating the text from English to eight Indian languages namely Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Marathi, Tamil, Oriya, Gujarati and Bodo. The domains considered are Tourism and Healthcare. The project was funded by Department of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India under TDIL program - Technology Development for Indian Languages. This is a Multi-Lingual, Multi-platform & Multi engine hybrid System, being developed by Consortia of 13 Institutes in India C-DAC Mumbai, IIIT Hyderabad, IISc Bangalore, IIT Bombay, Jadavpur University, Amrita University, IIIT-A, Banasthali Vidyapeeth and Utkal University, Dharmsinh Desai University, North Maharashtra University and North Eastern Hill University where C-DAC Pune is working as a Consortia Leader.
Environmental Audit & Consultancy Service Cell
The University has a well-equipped Environmental Audit and Consultancy Service Cell with state-of-the-art technical know-how and equipment. The scope of environmental audit covers i) industrial data collection related to raw material, process, product, by-product and other inputs like water and power, ii) monitoring of environmental management system (air, water and waste water, noise, solid waste and bioassay test) and iii) preparation of audit report as per Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB) format.
The additional services extended by the Cell include Environmental Impact Assessment, Total Pollution Load Assessment, Designing and Monitoring of Common Effluent Treatment Plant (CETP), Evaluation of Environmental Management System etc.
Dr. M. A. Patel of Civil Engineering Department is the Co-Coordinator of Environmental Consultancy and Environmental Audit Cell. Some of the major clients are Reliance, IPCL, GNFC, GEB, L&T, UltraTech Cement, BASF, Bayer, Rallis India Ltd, Sun Pharma, Cadila Healthcare, Birla, Cellulosic, Cadila Pharma, GAIL, Kanoria chemicals, Wockhardt, Tata Chemicals etc.
Structural Design Center
Established in 2000, Structural Design Center at university caters to the structural analysis and design needs of the industry, government and non-governmental organizations.
The center provides consultancy works related to static and dynamic analysis, structural design and failure analysis of various Civil and Industrial/Infrastructure structures.
The facilities available at the center include STAAD III-Ver 18 on LAN, STADD Pro, Auto- CIVIL, NISA, Auto CAD, and in house programs developed by faculty. The center is also supported with adequate material testing facilities of the Department of Civil Engineering. Prof. D. G. Panchal and Prof. K. N. Sheth of Civil Engg. Department are the Coordinator and the Principal Engineer in the center.
Faculty of Management and Information Science
Faculty of Pharmacy
Faculty of Pharmacy was established at University in 2006 offering B.Pham course. Faculty of Pharmacy is approved by Pharmacy Council of India(PCI). It also offers M.Pharm in Pharmaceutics & Pharmaceutical Technology and Quality assurance and Doctoral programs in various disciplines of Pharmacy.
Doctoral level programmes in Engineering/Technology, Management, Pharmacy, Applied Sciences, Physical Sciences and Social Science were initiated in 2001.
- Shital Mehta, Chief Executive Officer, Pantaloons Fashion & Retail Ltd
- Shakeel Kadri, Head of US Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS) of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers(AIChE) 
- Manish Mathuria, co-founder and CTO of InfoStretch
- Manish Sheladia, co-founder of CIGNEX Technologies (Acquired by Datamatics Global Services)
- K.C. Jani, Executive Director, IDBI Bank Ltd
- Jaimin Shah, Founder and MD of Dev Information Technology Pvt. Ltd.
- Shailesh Gandhi, Dean (Programs) at Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Yatindra Sharma, Managing Director of KHS Machinery Private Limited
- Parindu Bhagat, Independent Director of Indian Oil Corporation
- Vijay Patel, an Indian lawyer and a former member of parliament
- Nitin Tailor, CEO & Founder, Serve Happiness Foundation(NGO)
- Jaimin Vasa, Managing Director of Vasa Pharmachem Pvt Limited and president of the Gujarat Chemical Association(GCA)
- Rupesh P. Vasani, Dean at Gujarat Technological University
- Dr. Dinesh O. Shah, Founding Director Shah-Schulman Center for Surface Science and Nanotechnology And Professor Emeritus Department of Chemical Engineering and Department of Anesthesiology, University of Florida, USA.
- Professor Tulsi Mukherjee, Director, Shah-Schulman Center for Surface Science and Nanotechnology, Dharmsinh Desai University. He retired as Director of Chemistry Group, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai and Distinguished Scientist, Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India as well as Senior Professor, Homi Bhabha National Institute, India, and succeeded Dr Shah as the Director of SSCSSN, DDU.
- Prof. H.S. Mazumdar, Head of R&D centre.
- Prof. (Dr.) P.A. Joshi, Chairman, Anchor Institute-Chemicals & Petrochemicals, FoT, DD University.
- Prof. H. B. Dave, the first head of the Computer Science department.
- "List of Universities in Gujarat". University Grants Commission of India.
- DDU University profile
- ICON-NANO 2013 International Conference
- Nadiad university honoured by British group
- DDU felicitated in Singapore
- Dharmsinh Desai University, Nadiad (Kheda)
- TargetStudy DDU
- Vibrant-Gujarat Vibrant-University DDU
- "Best engineering colleges in India". digit.in.
- "Case Studies, Leaders, Policy, Administration, Industry Focus, Campus, Technology". www.edu-leaders.com.
- About felicific
- Visit to Shah-Schulman Center for Surface Science and Nanotechnology
- Indradhanush WordNet
- DeitY ANUVADAKSH
- C-DAC ANUVADAKSH
- "New CEO at Pantaloons". Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Indian-American to head US Center for Chemical Process".
- "InfoStretch Leadership". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Manish Mathuria Profile". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "List of Alumni members Felicitated By Outstanding Alumnus Award". Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "idbi bank ltd (IDBI:Natl India)". Retrieved 1 Jan 2016.
- About DEV IT Management
- "IIMA director appoints two new deans". Retrieved 25 Nov 2015.
- "DDU Alumnus appointed the Dean of IIM Ahmedabad". Retrieved 25 Nov 2015.
- "Company Overview of KHS Machinery Pvt. Ltd". Retrieved 1 Jan 2016.
- "Our Leadership - IOC". Retrieved 1 Jan 2016.
- "Serve Happiness – A social venture".
- DDU Alumnus Awarded by Gujarat Government
- Global Engineering Dean Council