Disney Theatrical Group
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2012)|
|Division of Walt Disney Studios|
|Headquarters||New York City, U.S.|
|Thomas Schumacher, Chairman|
|Parent||The Walt Disney Studios
(The Walt Disney Company)
|Divisions||Disney Theatrical Productions
Disney on Ice
Founded in 1993, as Walt Disney Theatrical Group, the division's Disney Theatrical Productions has produced critically and commercially successful stage performances, starting with the acclaimed Beauty and the Beast. The company is led by Thomas Schumacher, and forms a part of The Walt Disney Studios, one of the five units of The Walt Disney Company. The division also manages Disney Live Family Entertainment, which incorporates Disney on Ice and Disney Live, produced by Feld Entertainment.
Disney Theatrical Group is currently under the leadership of Thomas Schumacher. Their Disney Theatrical Productions division has been responsible for the production of many different musicals, touring events, ice shows and other live theatrical events. Acclaimed shows include; Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Elton John and Tim Rice’s Aida, Mary Poppins, Tarzan, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Newsies.
The Group also produces touring productions of their shows. They produced the show, On the Record which was a touring musical revue of many beloved Disney songs. DTG is also producing a tour of a stage version of High School Musical.
The ice shows, which are produced with Feld Entertainment, include shows like Finding Nemo on Ice, Princess Classics and High School Musical: The Ice Tour. Disney Theatrical and Feld also produce Disney Live. These shows are stage shows aimed at young children. They’re often interactive and invite the children to get involved in the performance. Some of these titles include: Playhouse Disney Live! and Mickey’s Magic Show!.
Currently Disney Theatrical Group is licensing its shows for performance by local school and community theatres through Musical Theatre International (MTI). Shows like Beauty and the Beast, Aida, and High School Musical are licensed. Disney also licenses special versions of shows for performance by younger children. Some of these shows include titles like Aladdin Jr., The Lion King Jr. or Mulan Jr.
- Beauty and the Beast (1994–2007)
- Alan Menken and Tim Rice's King David (1997)
- The Lion King (1997–present)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1999-2002, 2014-2015)
- Elton John and Tim Rice's Aida (1998-2009)
- On the Record (2004-2005)
- Mary Poppins (2004-2013)
- Tarzan (2006-2013)
- High School Musical on Stage! (2007-2009)
- The Little Mermaid (2007–2009)
- Peter and the Starcatcher (2009 - 2014)
- Aladdin (2011–present)
- Newsies (2011 -present)
- Shakespeare in Love (2014)
- Shaffer, Joshua C. (Sep 22, 2010). Discovering the Magic Kingdom: An Unofficial Disneyland Vacation Guide. Author House. p. 67.
- Rooney, David (November 13, 2013). "'Shakespeare in Love' Sets London Stage Premiere". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 26, 2014.