|Founded||2 August 2001|
|Headquarters||Tolyatti, Samara Oblast, Russia|
|Commonwealth of Independent States|
|Bo Andersson (President)
Jeffrey Glover (CEO)
General Motors (50%)
Number of employees
GM-AvtoVAZ is a joint venture in Russia between General Motors and AvtoVAZ set up in 2001 and began producing the Chevrolet Niva, based on the Lada Niva, at its factory in Tolyatti from 2002. Though both companies have an equal share of ownership, the venture is managed exclusively by General Motors.
The joint venture reached difficulties and production stoppages for a fortnight in February 2006 when AvtoVAZ was taken over by Rosoboronexport, the Russian state-owned arms-export agency, and a disagreement between the new owners and GM lead to stoppages of the supply of engines and other components.
The joint venture announced plans in September 2012 to expand by 2015, with an additional 1400 staff and increasing its annual production capacity from 100,000 to 120,000 vehicles.
The joint venture was created with investment from GM ($99.1m, 41.61%), AvtoVAZ ($99.1m, 41.61%) and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development ($40m, 16,78%, plus a loan facility for $100 million). In September 2012 GM and Avtovaz purchased EBRD's share, turning the joint venture into a 50/50 relationship.
As of December 2014, the joint venture has produced 571,852 vehicles since production at Tolyatti commenced in 2002.
- "«Когда-то Lada по сравнению с Dacia считалась люксовым брендом»". Vedomosti. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
– В этом СП «АвтоВАЗа» и GM по 50%, но фактически управляет им GM? – Да.Мы являемся для них важным поставщиком и обсуждаем условия по новой платформе.
- "GM: Learning the Ropes In Russia". Bloomberg Business Week. 8 February 2007. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "GM-AvtoVaz To Expand Capacity By 20% By 2015". Wall Street Journal. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "About Company". GM Avtovaz. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "2014 Production and Sales Results". GM AutoVAZ. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- Tolyatti Plant. Facts and Figures
- Official website (English)
- GM-AvtoVAZ on VK
- GM-AvtoVAZ on Facebook
|This article about an automotive industry corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|