12 June 1917|
|Died||24 October 2012(aged 95)|
|Years of service||1939–45|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
Eastern Front Medal 1941/42
Hans-Hermann Sturm (12 June 1917 – 24 October 2012) was an Hauptmann (captain) in the Wehrmacht during World War II who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, which was awarded to recognize extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership by Nazi Germany.
World War II
During the Soviet breakthrough in March 1944, Sturm and his unit defended a strategic height designated as Hill 154. After destroying 9 T-34s, his unit counter-attacked and after house-to-house fighting managed to secure the town of Parliti Sat. For these actions, he was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 June 1944.
Sturm died 24 October 2012 in Schondorf.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Eastern Front Medal (7 August 1942)
- General Assault Badge (2 October 1943)
- War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords (20 April 1943)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 9 June 1944 as Oberleutnant and chief of the 3./Sturmgeschütz-Brigade "Großdeutschland"
- Thomas & Wegmann 1985, p. 279.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 417.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz; Wegmann, Günter (1985). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil I: Sturmartillerie [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the German Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Part I: Assault Artillery] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-1447-2.
- Hans-Hermann Sturm's obituary (German)
|This biographical article related to the German Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|