This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
|Area served||United States, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Australia|
|Founder(s)||Sam Shank, Jared Simon, Chris Bailey|
|Native client(s) on||iOS, Apple Watch |
HotelTonight is an online travel app that allows users to find discounted hotel accommodations throughout the Americas, Europe and Australia. Due to the last minute nature of the bookings, the app can offer deep discounts off the listed hotel rate. Since its launch in 2010, HotelTonight has been downloaded by more than 15 million users.
HotelTonight was founded in December 2010 by the entrepreneurs Sam Shank, Jared Simon, and Chris Bailey. Shank, the company's CEO, had previously founded two travel startups, DealBase.com and TravelPost. TravelPost, founded in 2004, hosts hotel reviews, and DealBase, founded in 2008, aggregates and compares hotel deals. Shank said he wanted to create a "service that can solve the problem of 'I need a hotel right now' and getting you quickly into a room at a great price."
When it first launched in January 2011, the app was only available in the US and on Apple products. The app launched on Android devices in July 2011 and now includes cities in Europe, Canada, Central America and South America . HotelTonight has raised $80.7 million in funding from U.S. Venture Partners, Accel Partners, Battery Ventures, First Round Capital, GGV Capital, Sean Grusd and Coatue Management.
After several years of losing money, in August 2016, HotelTonight began planning for an IPO after beginning to break even.
- Perlroth, Nicole (December 11, 2012). "Wallflowers of Silicon Valley Get Asked to Dance". The New York Times.
- Leo, Jen (February 20, 2011). "Web Buzz: Hotel Tonight app alerts travelers to same-day deals". Los Angeles Times.
- Brady, Paul (February 4, 2013). "Mobile Booking Taking Off As Early Adopters Become Evangelists". Huffington Post.
- "Take the Worry Out of Same-Day Mobile Hotel Booking". Bloomberg.
- "Touch here for a bed". The Economist. February 4, 2013.
- Cohen, Jennifer. "Overwhelmed By Options? Try These 10 Must Have Apps for 2014". Forbes.
- "Co-Sign: How You Can Book Last-Minute Hotel Deals For SXSW Music". Vibe.
- "Touch here for a bed". The Economist. December 31, 2013.
- "2013 Year in Review". HotelTonight.
- Van Grove, Jennifer. "Same-day booking app HotelTonight predicts the future too". CNET.
- O'Shea, Dan (April 26, 2011). "How a New App Is Helping Hotels Fill Rooms". Entrepreneur.
- "HotelTonight About Page". HotelTonight.
- "Sam Shank CrunchBase". CrunchBase.
- Sanders, Adrienne (November 27, 2005). "Online travel takes off". San Francisco Business Times.
- Rao, Leena (May 4, 2009). "DealBase Finds $1 Million For Hotel Deal Database". TechCrunch.
- Shah, Semil (March 15, 2012). "TCTV: In the Studio, Sam Shank on Hotel Tonight's Extreme Focus on Mobile Travel". TechCrunch.
- Davis, Zach (May 4, 2012). "The Future of Travel Booking, An Interview with Hotel Tonight CEO Sam Shank". Tech.co.
- Demant, Jason (June 20, 2011). "Building 3 Companies in 7 Years with Sam Shank from HotelTonight". UnAnchor.com.
- Schaal, Dennis (May 31, 2011). "Hotel app finds great last-minute deals". USA Today.
- O'Neill, Sean (November 22, 2012). "A boom in same-day hotel booking apps". BBC.
- Price, Emily (June 20, 2012). "HotelTonight Expands Into Europe, Now Offering Deals in London". Mashable.
- Ha, Anthony (December 11, 2012). "HotelTonight Expands To Continental Europe, Adds Language Support, And Launches Gift Credits". TechCrunch.
- Mott, Nathaniel (April 26, 2012). "HotelTonight Expands to Europe and Canada, Partners With Look.io for Better Robo-Human Relations". PandoDaily.
- Rao, Leena (November 18, 2011). "Battery And Accel Put $9M In App For Last-Minute Hotel Deals, HotelTonight". TechCrunch.
- Ogg, Erica (June 5, 2012). "With $23 million in new funds, Hotel Tonight is going global". Gigaom.
- Shontell, Alyson (September 5, 2013). "HotelTonight Raises A $45 Million Round Led By A Hedge Fund To Help You Book Cheap, Last-Minute Rooms". Business Insider.
- LEE TREJOS, NANCY. "HotelTonight to let guests book hotels next week". USA TODAY.
- Huet, Ellen. "How HotelTonight Went From Burning Millions to Planning an IPO". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
|This article about a travel website is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|