Israeli–Mexican relations refers to the diplomatic relations between Israel and Mexico. Both nations are members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, United Nations and the World Trade Organization.
During the Partition of Palestine in November 1947, Mexico was one of ten countries to abstain from voting on the partition. Mexico recognized Israel in January 1950 and both nations established diplomatic relations on 1 July 1952. Since then, both nations have opened embassies in each other's countries, respectively, with Mexico opening its embassy in Tel-Aviv in 1959.
Today, relations between both nations mainly are based on international cooperation at the United Nations and mutual respect for each other. Over the years, Mexico and Israel have increased military cooperation between each other. In 2008, Mexico purchased $210 million USD of Israeli military equipment. There are also several cultural and touristic interchanges between both nations. In 2013, Mexican citizens were one of the biggest visitors to Israel for tourism and religious purposes. In 2012, both nations celebrated their 60th anniversary of establishing diplomatic relations. In October 2013, the Mexican Congress installed a section in their building dedicated to 'Mexico-Israel Friendship'.
Presidential visits from Israel to Mexico
- President Luis Echeverría (1975)
- President Ernesto Zedillo (2000)
- President Enrique Peña Nieto (2016)
On 6 March 2000, both nations signed a free trade agreement. In 2015, two-way trade between both nations amounted to $841 million USD. Israel is Mexico's 42nd biggest trading partner globally and biggest trading partner in the Middle East. Mexico's exports to Israel include: crude oil, automobiles, refrigerators and fruit. Israel's main exports to Mexico include: chemical based products, electronics and medicine.
Resident diplomatic missions
- "UN General Assembly Resolution 181". GxMSDev. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Israel's Diplomatic Missions Abroad: Status of relations". GxMSDev. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- 60º aniversario del establecimiento de relaciones diplomaticas entre Mexico e Israel (Spanish)
- "El Ejército, en la mira... de las Pymes". Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Christian tourism to Israel 2013". GxMSDev. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- 60th Anniversary of Diplomatic relations between Mexico and Israel
- "Grupo de Amistad México Israel es instalado en la Cámara de Diputados". Enlace Judío México - El sitio de expresión judía. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Bilateral relations between Mexico and Israel (in Spanish)
- President Luis Echeverría visits Israel (in Spanish)
- "Client Validation". Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Peña Nieto llega a Israel para homenaje de estado a Shimon Peres (in Spanish)
- "Israel and Mexico Sign Free Trade Agreement-6-Mar-2000". GxMSDev. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Mexican Ministry of the Economy: Israel (in Spanish)
- "Israel and Mexico mark 60 years of diplomatic relations". GxMSDev. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- ProMexico: Síntesis de la Relación Comercial México–Israel (Spanish)
- "Embajada de Israel en México". Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Bienvenidos a la portada". Retrieved 17 April 2016.