It – Chapter Two
|It: Chapter Two|
|Directed by||Andrés Muschietti|
|Screenplay by||Gary Dauberman|
by Stephen King
|Edited by||Jason Ballantine|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
It: Chapter Two is an upcoming American supernatural horror film and the sequel to the 2017 film It. Both parts were adapted from the 1986 novel It by Stephen King. The second part is directed by Andy Muschietti and written by Gary Dauberman. Set in 2016, 27 years after the events of 1989 described in the first film, the film stars Bill Skarsgård, who reprises his role as Pennywise. James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain, Jay Ryan, Bill Hader, Isaiah Mustafa, James Ransone, and Andy Bean portray the adult versions of The Losers Club, while Jaeden Lieberher, Sophia Lillis, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Finn Wolfhard, Chosen Jacobs, Jack Dylan Grazer, and Wyatt Oleff return from the first film as the younger Losers, respectively.
Twenty-seven years after the horrific events of the summer of 1989, It (Bill Skarsgård) returns. The Losers' Club fulfill their promises and return to Derry to put an end to the shape-shifting beast once and for all.
- James McAvoy and Jaeden Lieberher as Bill Denbrough:
The stuttering yet resourcefully determined former leader of the Losers' Club who, out of revenge against It for killing his brother, lead them in their fight against Pennywise in 1989 and had them promise to return to Derry should It resurface. As an adult, Bill becomes a successful writer of mystery and horror while also married to film star Audra Phillips.
- Bill Skarsgård as It / Pennywise the Dancing Clown:
An ancient, trans-dimensional predator that awakens every twenty-seven years to feed on the fear of children that It kills. Pennywise was overpowered and seriously wounded by the Losers' Club in 1989, forcing It into early hibernation. This defeat motivates the being to rebuild Its strength and exact revenge against the Losers' Club once they return to Derry.
- Jessica Chastain and Sophia Lillis as Beverly Marsh:
The only female member of the Losers' Club who was abused physically and sexually by her father and was bullied at school over false rumors of promiscuity. As an adult, she has become a successful fashion designer in Chicago while enduring several abusive relationships that include her marriage to Tom Rogan.
- Jay Ryan and Jeremy Ray Taylor as Ben Hanscom:
A member of the Losers' Club who fought against It and was bullied as a child because of being overweight. As an adult, he is thin and is a successful architect living in Nebraska.
- Bill Hader and Finn Wolfhard as Richie Tozier:
Bill's bespectacled best friend and fellow member of the Losers' Club, whose loud mouth and foul language often get him into trouble. Richie becomes a successful disc jockey in Los Angeles.
- Isaiah Mustafa and Chosen Jacobs as Mike Hanlon:
A member of the Losers' Club who fought against It, Mike is the only one to stay behind in Derry and becomes the town librarian while summoning the other Losers back to Derry when It resurfaces. Mike also has a serious drug problem stemming from being traumatized by the events in his childhood.
- James Ransone and Jack Dylan Grazer as Eddie Kaspbrak:
A member of the Losers' Club who is the epitome of a hypochondriac, overly exaggerated by the immense number of objects in his medicine cabinet. Eddie runs a successful limousine business in New York City and is married to Myra, who is very similar to his overbearing mother.
- Andy Bean and Wyatt Oleff as Stanley Uris:
A member of the Losers' Club who fought against It. Stan becomes a partner in a large Atlanta-based accounting firm and married to Patty Blum, a teacher.
- Teach Grant as Henry Bowers:
A sociopath who terrorized the Losers' Club in the summer of 1989 before he was committed. He is determined to once again try to kill the Losers' Club.
- Jess Weixler as Audra Phillips: A successful actress and Bill's wife.
- Will Beinbrink as Tom Rogan: Beverly's abusive husband who sees her as a sex object.
- Xavier Dolan as Adrian Mellon: A young gay Derry citizen that is attacked with his boyfriend Don by a group of youths during a festival. He becomes the first victim of an awakened It, triggering the Losers' return to Derry.
- Taylor Frey as Don Hagarty: Adrian's boyfriend who is also attacked by a group of youths during a festival. He also witnessed Adrian being killed by It.
- Jackson Robert Scott as Georgie Denbrough: Bill's deceased younger brother, whose abduction and death by Pennywise in October 1988 culminated in the events of the summer of 1989. He reprises his role from the first film.
On February 16, 2016, producer Roy Lee, in an interview with Collider, mentioned a second film, remarking that: "[Dauberman] wrote the most recent draft working with [Muschietti], so it's being envisioned as two movies." On July 19, 2017, Muschietti revealed that the plan is to get production underway for the sequel to It next spring, adding, "We'll probably have a script for the second part in January . Ideally, we would start prep in March. Part one is only about the kids. Part two is about these characters 27 years later as adults, with flashbacks to 1989 when they were kids." On July 21, 2017, Muschietti spoke of looking forward to having a dialogue in the second film that does not exist within the first, stating, "... it seems like we're going to do it. It's the second half, it's not a sequel. It's the second half and it's very connected to the first one." Muschietti confirmed that two cut scenes from the first film will hopefully be included in the second, one of which being the fire at the Black Spot from the book.
On September 25, 2017, New Line Cinema announced that the sequel would be released on September 6, 2019, with Gary Dauberman and Jeffrey Jurgensen writing the script. Andy Muschietti was also expected to return to direct the sequel.
In September 2017, Muschietti and his sister mentioned that Jessica Chastain would be their top choice to play the adult version of Beverly Marsh. In November 2017, Chastain herself expressed interest in the project. Finally, in February 2018, Chastain officially joined the cast to portray the character, making the film her second collaboration with Muschietti after Mama.
In June 2018, Isaiah Mustafa joined the cast to portray the adult version of Mike Hanlon, while Xavier Dolan and Will Beinbrink were also cast as Adrian Mellon and Tom Rogan respectively. Later, Teach Grant was cast to play the adult version of Henry Bowers, previously played by Nicholas Hamilton in the first film, and Jess Weixler also joined the film to play Bill's wife. This also marks the second collaboration between McAvoy, Chastain, Hader, Weixler and Beinbrink after The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby. In July 2018, Taylor Frey joined the cast of the film.
Principal photography on the film began on June 19, 2018, at Pinewood Toronto Studios and on locations in and around Port Hope, Oshawa and Toronto, Ontario, and wrapped on October 30, 2018.
On December 9, 2018, during the CCXP 2018, the first teaser and footage of the film were divulged.
- "Evil Resurfaces in Derry as Cameras Roll on New Line Cinema's "IT CHAPTER TWO"". Business Wire. July 2, 2018. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (April 12, 2018). "James McAvoy, Bill Hader in Talks to Star in 'It: Chapter Two'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (February 20, 2018). "Jessica Chastain in Talks to Star in 'It' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (23 May 2018). "'It: Chapter Two' Cast Grows: Jay Ryan To Play Adult Ben Hanscom".
- Kroll, Justin (June 9, 2018). "'It: Chapter 2' Casts Isaiah Mustafa as Adult Mike". Variety. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (16 May 2018). "James Ransone & Andy Bean Join 'It: Chapter Two' – Update".
- Kroll, Justin (June 25, 2018). "'It: Chapter 2': Teach Grant to Play Adult Henry Bowers (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (June 21, 2018). "IT Chapter Two: Xavier Dolan & Will Beinbrink Cast In New Line Sequel". Deadline. Retrieved July 3, 2018.
- Javier Botet Has a Role in 'Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark' So Get Ready for the Nightmares
- Chitwood, Adam (February 19, 2016). "Exclusive: 'It' Movie Hopefully Shooting This Year; Will Be Rated-R". Collider. Archived from the original on June 26, 2016. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Foutch, Haleigh (July 19, 2017). "'IT' Director Andy Muschietti Says He's Coming Back for a Sequel". Collider. Archived from the original on July 20, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Zinski, Dan (July 19, 2017). "Second IT Movie Adaptation Aims to Start Filming Next Year". Screen Rant. Archived from the original on July 21, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Brew, Simon (July 20, 2017). "Stephen King's It sequel set to start filming next spring". Den of Geek. Retrieved July 20, 2017.[permanent dead link]
- Wax, Alyse (July 20, 2017). "STEPHEN KING'S IT ALREADY HAS A SEQUEL PLANNED". Syfy. Archived from the original on July 20, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Foutch, Haleigh (July 21, 2017). "'IT' Director Andy Muschietti on Reinventing Pennywise and Sequel Plans". Collider. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- O'Connell, Sean (July 22, 2017). "Why The IT Movie Left The Adult Storyline Out Of The First Film". CinemaBlend. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- Foutch, Haleigh (July 27, 2017). "The 'IT' Movie Had to Cut Two Crazy Scenes to Stay On-Budget". Collider.com. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (September 25, 2017). "'It' Sequel Sets September 2019 Release Date". Variety.com. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (September 7, 2017). "'It' Movie Sequel Plans Move Forward at New Line". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (December 6, 2017). "Are You Afraid Of The Dark? Movie Gets October 2019 Release". Variety. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (September 7, 2017). "'It' Sequel Moves Ahead With Screenwriter Gary Dauberman". Variety. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (September 11, 2017). "'It' Director on Box Office Shock, Sequel Plans". Variety. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- "Jessica Chastain Is Definitely Down to Play Adult Beverly in 'IT 2'". 6 November 2017.
- "'It: Chapter Two' Casts Andy Bean as Stanley Uris". 16 May 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (July 10, 2018). "'IT Chapter Two' Adds Taylor Frey To New Line Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Musnicky, Sarah (June 20, 2018). "Production Begins on IT: Chapter 2! - ComingSoon.net". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- "Hanging out in Port Hope with Pennywise: Stargazing". omegaunderground.com. September 2, 2018. Retrieved September 2, 2018.
- "'It: Chapter Two' Expected To Shoot In Port Hope/Toronto Next Year - Omega Underground". Durham Region. August 25, 2018. Retrieved September 2, 2018.
- Marc, Christopher (April 7, 2018). "'IT: Chapter 2' Enters Pre-Production and Will Shoot July–October - Omega Underground". omegaunderground.com. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Marc, Christopher (November 27, 2017). "'It: Chapter Two' Expected To Shoot In Port Hope/Toronto Next Year - Omega Underground". omegaunderground.com. Archived from the original on 2018-06-20. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 25, 2017). "'It' Sequel Carves Out 2019 Post-Labor Day Release". Deadline. Retrieved September 26, 2017.