Location of Khanewal District (highlighted in orange) in Punjab
|• District Coordination Officer||Khalid Mahmood Sheikh|
|• Total||4,349 km2 (1,679 sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|Number of Tehsils||4|
Khanewal District (Urdu: ضِلع خانیوال) is a district of Punjab province of Pakistan. Its capital is Khanewal city. It is most widely known for being the host city to the second-largest railway station in the country. According to the 1998 census of Pakistan, the district had a population of 2,068,490, of which 17.42% were urban.
Other Towns include Abdul Hakeem Cantt., Kot Islam, Moza Daramahram,Chah Qasim Wala,Chah Raja Wala,Chah 44/10-R Jatt Tandain wala, Pirowal
Its boundaries meet the districts of Jhang and Toba Tek Singh on the north, Sahiwal on the east, Vehari on south and with Multan on the west.Underground water resources are generally adequate throughout the district. The subsoil water is sweet and suitable for industrial purposes. There is no mentionable nullah available in the district. However, effluent of industry can be disposed of in the rivers, namely Chenab and Ravi, after pretreatment, with permission from the Irrigation and Power Department, Government of the Punjab. There are 26 telephone exchanges operating in the district (ranging in capacity from 200 lines to 7200 lines). Cellular phone services are also available. The area has 20 national bank branches, 24 post offices, 7 textile mills, 1 sugar mill, 71 cotton gin factories, 17 police stations on 1,058,641 acres (4,284 km2).
Languages & Demography
As per national census of 1998, Punjabi is the main language of Khanewal district spoken by 1.68 Million people which accounts for 81% of total population of 2.06 Million(mostly spoken in northern, central and eastern parts of district). Saraiki is spoken by only 0.11 Million people (6%) of the district population (spoken in the south). Raangri is also the mother tongue of the Muhajir community that migrated from india to Pakistan in 1947. Urdu, the national language, is spoken widely, while English spoken by an educated elite. Another language is Pashto, spoken by a few Afghan refugees.
Present main families are Niazi Afghans, Syed,Sial,maitla & Haraj in kabirwala tehsil, Bodla,maitla & Vain, Gill in Tehsil Mian Chanuu,Rajpoot Dhudhi, Rajput, Daha, Maitla, Kamboh, Cheema, Paracha, Hiraj and Jandran in Tehsil Khanewal and Wahla, Maitla & Rao Sadaqat families in Tehsil Jahanian.
The climate of the District is Hot & Dry.The summer Season start in April and continues till October. May, June and July are Hottest months.
- Rana Muhammad Asif Saeed, former Chairman Executive, Punjab Bar Council.
- The Educator Group of Colleges Kanewal Campus
- Nau Nehall Public Middle School Mushtaq Colony Khanewal
- Superior Science School Jahanian
- Govt Boys degree college
- Govt Women degree college
- Govt Commercial college
- Govt Model High School (Boys)
- Govt Puplic High School (Boys)
- Govt Islamia High School
- Govt Girls Model High School
- Superior Science College
- Punjab Group Of Colleges
- The City School, Khanewal Campus
- Khanewal Public School & College Khanewal
- Shaheen Cadet Secondary School Khanewal
- The Hawk School And Colleges
- Quaid-e-Azam institute of Technology khanewal
- Ghazi Computer Academy and Online Earning Training Centre, Khanewal
- Dar-e-Arqam school khanewal campus
- Al-Hilal Institute Of Online Quran Education Khanewal'
- Population - Urban Resource Centre
- List of tehsils and districts - Statpak.gov