Libya at the 2004 Summer Olympics
|Libya at the Olympic Games|
|At the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens|
|Competitors||8 (6 men, 2 women) in 5 sports|
|Flag bearer||Mohamed Eshtiwi (weightlifting)|
|Olympic history (summary)|
Results by event
Ruwida El Hubti finished last in the women's 400 metres, but set a new national record in the process. The top finish for a Libyan athlete came in the marathon, where El Zaidi placed 39th.
- Ali Mabrouk El Zaidi
- 2:20:31 (39th overall)
- Ruwida El Hubti
- Round 1: 1:03.57 (7th in the heat 1, did not advance, 42nd overall) (Libyan Record)
Libya's only judoka in Athens lost his first match in less than two minutes.
- Mohamed Ben Saleh
Neither Libyan athlete managed to progress beyond their opening heat.
- Khaled Ghezzawi
- Heat: 27.55 s (71st overall, did not advance)
- Amira Edrahi
- Heat: 34.67 s (72nd overall, did not advance)
Ezedin Salem lost his first round bout when the referee ended the contest, then withdrew in his repechage match.
- Ezedin Salem
Only one of the two Libyan weightlifters in Athens managed to complete a valid lift in both the Snatch and the Clean & Jerk. This was Mohamed Eshtiwi, who finished 16th in the 77 kg class.
- Mohamed Eshtiwi
- 335.0 kg (Snatch: 155.0 kg, Clean & Jerk: 180.0 kg) (16th overall)
- Hamza Abughalia
- Did not finish
Abughalia completed a Snatch of 147.5 kg, but missed three attempts at a Clean & Jerk of 180.0 kg, which would have placed him 12th overall.
- President: Mohammad Moammar Al-Gathafi
- Secretary General: Marwan Kamel Maghur