List of Iranian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Iran has submitted a total of twenty-two films for Oscar consideration and three films, Majid Majidi's Children of Heaven and Asghar Farhadi's A Separation and The Salesman, have received an Oscar nomination. Of the three films, A Separation and The Salesman won the award. Five of the submitted films were directed by Majidi and four of them were made by Farhadi. Bahman Ghobadi and Reza Mirkarimi were each chosen to represent Iran at the Oscars on two occasions.
On 24 September 2012, the film A Cube of Sugar was selected as the Iranian entry for the Best Foreign Language Oscar at the 85th Academy Awards. However, on the same day the head of Iran's government controlled cinema agency called for a boycott of the Oscars due to the Innocence of Muslims video on YouTube that originated in the United States. Reuters reported that Iran's Culture and Islamic Guidance Minister Mohammad Hosseini had confirmed that Iran would boycott.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award.
The Iranian nominee is selected each fall by a committee appointed by the Farabi Cinematic Foundation. Despite poor relations with the United States, Iran has participated in the US-based competition since 1994, missing only one year. They attempted to withdraw their 1995 submission The White Balloon after sending it to Hollywood, but AMPAS refused to accept the withdrawal.
Also in five occasions, films made by Iranian directors represented other countries: I Love Vienna/Austria, Persepolis/ France, For a Moment, Freedom/Austria, Baba Joon/Israel and Under the Shadow/UK.
Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by Iran for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Persian title||Director||Result|
|The Cycle||دايره مينا||Mehrjui, DariushDariush Mehrjui||Not Nominated|
|Through the Olive Trees||زیر درختان زیتون||Kiarostami, AbbasAbbas Kiarostami||Not Nominated|
|The White Balloon||بادکنک سفید||Panahi, JafarJafar Panahi||Not Nominated|
|Gabbeh||گبه||Makhmalbaf, MohsenMohsen Makhmalbaf||Not Nominated|
|Children of Heaven||بچه های آسمان||Majidi, MajidMajid Majidi||Nominated|
|The Color of Paradise||رنگ خدا||Majidi, MajidMajid Majidi||Not Nominated|
|A Time for Drunken Horses||زمانی برای مستی اسبها||Ghobadi, BahmanBahman Ghobadi||Not Nominated|
|Baran||باران||Majidi, MajidMajid Majidi||Not Nominated|
|I'm Taraneh, 15||من ترانه 15 سال دارم||Sadrameli, RasulRasul Sadrameli||Not Nominated|
|Deep Breath||نفس عمیق||Shahbazi, ParvizParviz Shahbazi||Not Nominated|
|Turtles Can Fly||لاکپشتها هم پرواز میکنند||Ghobadi, BahmanBahman Ghobadi||Not Nominated|
|So Close, So Far||خیلی دور خیلی نزدیک||Mirkarimi, RezaReza Mirkarimi||Not Nominated|
|Café Transit||کافه ترانزیت||Partovi, KambuziaKambuzia Partovi||Not Nominated|
|M for Mother||میم مثل مادر||Mollagholipour, RasulRasul Mollagholipour||Not Nominated|
|The Song of Sparrows||آواز گنجشکها||Majidi, MajidMajid Majidi||Not Nominated|
|About Elly...||...درباره الی||Farhadi, AsgharAsghar Farhadi||Not Nominated|
|Farewell Baghdad||بدرود بغداد||Naderi, MehdiMehdi Naderi||Not Nominated|
|A Separation||جدایی نادر از سیمین||Farhadi, AsgharAsghar Farhadi||Won Academy Award|
|The Past||گذشته||Farhadi, AsgharAsghar Farhadi||Not Nominated|
|Today||امروز||Mirkarimi, RezaReza Mirkarimi||Not Nominated|
|Muhammad: The Messenger of God||محمد رسولالله||Majidi, MajidMajid Majidi||Not Nominated|
|The Salesman||فروشنده||Farhadi, AsgharAsghar Farhadi||Won Academy Award|
- List of Iranian Academy Award winners and nominees
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Cinema of Iran
- "Iran Selects Nominee for 2013 Oscars". presstv.com. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Iran to write to Academy over anti-Islam film". Tehran Times. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "Iran Oscars Boycott". Reuters. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Iran Requests Academy Not to Consider Its Film Entry". Highbeam. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Iran announces Oscar nominee". PressTV. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "Iran's "A Separation" wins best foreign language Oscar". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Iran selects 'The Past' for 2014 Academy Award submission". PressTV. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Oscars: Iran Selects 'Today' for Foreign-Language Category". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- Vivarelli, Nick (28 September 2015). "Iran Picks Rise of Islam Epic 'Muhammad: The Messenger of God' for Foreign-Language Oscar". Variety. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Oscars: Iran Selects Asghar Farhadi's 'The Salesman' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. 17 September 2016. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Oscars 2017: The full nominations". BBC News. 24 January 2017. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Bhushan, Nyay (27 February 2017). "The Salesman wins best foreign language Oscar". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 February 2017.