List of Kuwaiti submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
Kuwait is one of a hundred countries that have submitted films for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film.[nb 1] The Foreign Language Film award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. Kuwait has submitted two films to the Oscars, most recently in 1978. Both films were dramas directed by Khalid Al-Siddiq. Neither received an Oscar nomination.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by Kuwait for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Original title||Director||Result|
|The Cruel Sea||بس يابحر||Khalid Al Siddiq||Not Nominated|
|The Wedding of Zein||عرس الزين||Khalid Al Siddiq||Not Nominated|
The Cruel Sea is the first feature film ever to be made in one of the GCC countries  and Kuwait became the first and thus far only GCC nation to submit a movie to the Academy Awards, in 1972. The Cruel Sea played at the Venice Film Festival and concerns the story of a young man from a poor, pearl diving family who loves a young woman from a merchant family who is betrothed to an elderly man. Six years later, Kuwait submitted The Wedding of Zein, about a pious village idiot who becomes the object of affection of a beautiful local girl. Since 1978, Kuwait has not submitted any more films, making it one of only three participating countries-the other two being Cameroon and Côte d'Ivoire that has not submitted films in the past thirty years. Pakistan was another one as well but since they have submitted one in 2013, Kuwait is now the 2nd longest amount of time country has gone without submitting in another one.
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Cinema of Kuwait
- "Academy announces rules for 92nd Oscars". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Academy Announces Rule Changes For 92nd Oscars". Forbes. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 June 2008. Retrieved 7 August 2008.