List of countries with alcohol prohibition
The following countries have or had comprehensive prohibitions against alcohol. Particularly the term refers to the banning of the manufacture, storage (whether in barrels or in bottles), transportation, sale, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Bahrain (excluding non-Muslims)
- Bangladesh (excluding non-Muslims)
- Some parts of India (prohibition in the states of Gujarat, Bihar, Nagaland, Manipur, and the union territory of Lakshadweep. Legal in all other states and territories.)
- Iran (excluding non-Muslims)
- Maldives (legal for Foreigners at licensed establishments)
- Pakistan (excluding non-Muslims)
- Qatar (excluding non-Muslims)
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates (total prohibition in the emirate of Sharjah only, excluding non-Muslims elsewhere)
- Yemen (legal in the areas of former communist South Yemen until 1994)
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Ottoman Empire – (1612 - 1640) prohibition by Murad IV
- United States – 1920–1933 (see prohibition in the United States)
- Canada – 1918–1920 (see prohibition in Canada)
- Faroe Islands – 1907–1992 (see 1907 Faroese alcohol referendum)
- Russian Empire and the Soviet Union – 1914–1923
- Iceland – 1915–1935 (see prohibition in Iceland) – However beer with an alcohol content exceeding 2.25% was prohibited until 1989.
- Iraq a proposal to ban alcohol was proposed in 2016. It was then dropped less than a year later, but a 200% tax on alcohol was introduced in 2018 budget.
- Norway – 1916–1927
- Hungarian Soviet Republic – March 21 – August 1, 1919 – Sale and consumption of alcohol was prohibited.
- Finland – 1919–1932
- Philippines – 1966–1986
- Pitcairn Islands
- North Yemen – 1962-1990
- "Alcohol Prohibition in Foreign Countries". QuitAlcohol.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "States with total and phase-wise prohibition of alcohol in India". The Indian Express.
- "India's Bihar alcohol ban struck down". BBC News. Retrieved 18 May 2016.