List of countries with alcohol prohibition
The following countries have or had comprehensive prohibitions against alcohol. All the countries and regions that presently ban alcohol have a Muslim majority.
Currently, alcohol prohibition is enforced in many Muslim-majority countries and some parts of India.
- India - (Prohibited only in the states of Gujarat, Manipur, Nagaland, Mizoram (legal, but permit card is required to buy alcohol ) and the union territory of Lakshadweep.)
- Saudi Arabia
- Emirate of Sharjah in United Arab Emirates
|This section does not cite any sources. (December 2015)|
- United States - 1920-1933
- Canada - 1918-1920
- Faroe Islands - 1907-1992
- Russian Empire and the Soviet Union - 1914-1923
- Iceland - 1915-1935; beer with an alcohol content exceeding 2.25% was prohibited until 1989
- Norway - 1916-1927
- Hungary - March 21 - August 1 1919 - During the short-lived "Tanácsköztársaság" or "Hungarian Soviet Republic", sale and consumption of alcohol was prohibited.
- Finland - 1919-1932
- "Alcohol Prohibition in Foreign Countries". QuitAlcohol.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Alcohol prohibition to remain in Nagaland". Archived from the original on January 7, 2011.