List of telecom companies in India
This article needs to be updated.(May 2021)
This is a list of mobile, DTH, ISP, wireless and wireline operators in India.
|Operator||Logo||Subscribers (crores)||Active Users(crores)||Technology||Ownership|
|Operator||Started Operations||Ceased Operations||Fate|
|Telstra||1990||2000||Merged into Axiata Spice Communications|
|Escotel||1996||2004||Merged into Idea Cellular|
|Hutch Essar||1999||2007||Made by Vodafone Group and Essar Group|
|Axiata Spice Communications||1992||2008||Merged into Idea Cellular|
|S Tel||2008||2012||Licence cancelled by the Supreme Court of India|
|Etisalat||2010||2012||Licence cancelled by the Supreme Court of India|
|BPL Mobile (Loop Mobile)||1995||2014||Ceased operations after expiration of licence|
|Virgin Mobile India, T24 Mobile||2009||2015||Merged into Tata Docomo |
|Videocon Telecom||2010||2016||Shut down following sale of spectrum to Bharti Airtel|
|MTS India||2009||2017||Acquired by Reliance Communications|
|Idea Cellular||2002||2018||Merged with Vodafone India to form Vi|
|Vodafone India||2011||2018||Merged with Idea Cellular to form Vi|
|Telenor India||2009||2018||Acquired by Bharti Airtel|
|Tata Docomo||2009||2019||Acquired by Bharti Airtel|
|Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited||1986||2020||Subsidiary of BSNL until merger is complete|
Direct-to-home (DTH) operators
As of 31 December 2021, there are 7.099 crore (70.99 million) active paying DTH subscribers, in addition to the subscribers of state-owned DD Free Dish, in the country according to Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). DD Free Dish has over 4 crore (40 million) subscribers.
List of pay DTH service providers
|1||Tata Play||33.23%||Tata Sons (60%)|
Walt Disney (30%)
|2||Airtel digital TV||26.24%||Bharti Airtel (100%)|
|3||22.10%||Essel Group (55%)|
|4||Sun Direct||18.43%||Sun Network (80%)|
Astro Group (20%)
|5||DD Free Dish||Government of India|
- DD free dish is Free To air Service hence their subscriber data is not shown in TRAI performance report.
- On 22 March 2018, Dish TV merged with d2h, creating the then largest DTH provider in India.
|1||BSNL||71.48||Department of Telecommunications|
|4||MTNL||26.15||Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited|
|5||Tata Teleservices||15.74||Tata Group|
|6||Vi||6.55||Government of India & Vodafone Idea Limited|
|7||Quadrant||2.9||Quadrant Televentures Ltd.|
|8||Reliance Communications||1.68||Reliance ADAG|
Multiple-system operators (MSOs)
List of top MSOs by subscribers
|Operator||Total Active Subscriber Base
|1||GTPL Hathway Ltd||79.06|
|2||Siti Networks Ltd||74.44|
|3||Hathway Digital Ltd||54.8|
|4||Den Networks Ltd||46.00|
|5||Thamizhaga Cable TV Communication Pvt
|6||Kerala Communicators Cable Ltd||30.11|
|7||Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV Corporation
|8||NXT Digital Ltd (HITS)||22.45|
|9||KAL Cables Pvt. Ltd||20.99|
|10||Fastway Transmissions Pvt Ltd||20.74|
|11||V K Digital Network Pvt. Ltd||19.14|
|12||NXT Digital Ltd (Cable TV)||12.54|
|13||Asianet Digital Network Pvt. Ltd||11.79|
Internet service providers (ISPs)
As of 31 july 2022, there were 694 internet service providers (ISPs) offering broadband (wired + wireless) services; the top 5 services constituted 98.42% market share of the total broadband subscribers according to TRAI. These service providers were :
|3||Vi||12.298||Government of India Vodafone Idea Limited|
|4||BSNL||2.525||Government of India|
The following table shows the top 5 wired broadband service providers in India by total subscriber base as of 31 july 2022.
|1||Reliance Jio||62.7||Jio Platforms|
|2||Airtel||49.9||Bharti Airtel Limited|
|3||BSNL||38.5||Government of India|
|5||Hathway||11.3||Reliance Industries Limited|
The following table shows the top 5 wireless broadband service providers in India by total subscriber base as of 31 july 2022.
|1||Reliance Jio||41.596||Jio Platforms|
|2||Airtel||21.713||Bharti Airtel Limited|
|3||Vi[Note2 1]||12.297[Note2 1]||Government of India Vodafone Idea Limited|
|4||BSNL[Note1 1]||2.139||Government of India|
|5||Intech Online Pvt Ltd||0.022|
- Broadband: Internet access with a minimum capacity of greater or equal 512 Kbit/s in one or both directions.
- Narrowband: Internet access with a capacity of less than 512 Kbit/s in one or both directions.
Other notable ISPs
|APSFL||Government of Andhra Pradesh|
|Asianet Broadband||Rajan Raheja Group|
|DEN Networks||Reliance Industries|
|Muft Internet||Muft Internet|
|RailTel Corporation of India||Government of India|
|Spectranet||Shyam Telecom Limited|
|Tata Communications||Tata Group|
|Tata Play||Tata Sons (60%) |
Walt Disney Company (30%)
Temasek Holdings (10%)
For enterprise/wholesale only
|CtrlS Datacenters Ltd||CtrlS Labs Limited|
|ERNET||Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology|
|GAILTEL||Government of India|
|National Knowledge Network
(for educational institutions only)
|Government of India|
|PowerGrid||Government of India|
|Tulip Telecom||Tulip Enterprises|
|Muft Internet||Muft Internet|
- On 28 February 2018 Aircel filed for bankruptcy with NCLT and a substantial number of customers have migrated to other service providers due to closing down of most of the consumer services.
- The services of Telenor India have been merged with Airtel on 14 May 2018.
- On 31 August 2018, Vodafone India has been merged with Idea Cellular to form Vi.
- The consumer mobile businesses of Tata Docomo, Tata Teleservices (TTSL) and Tata Teleservices Maharashtra Limited (TTML) have been merged into Bharti Airtel from 1 July 2019.
Telecom R&D firms
|C-DOT||New Delhi||Government Organisation|
|HTL Ltd.||Chennai||partially state-owned|
|United Telecoms Limited||Bangalore||Government of India entreprise|
- Telecommunications in India
- List of mobile network operators
- Direct-to-home television in India
- List of mobile network operators of the Asia Pacific region
- Internet in India
- "Telecom Subscription Data as on 31 May 2022" (PDF). Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
- www.Jio.com. "Reliance Jio VoWiFi is Live". jio.com. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- www.airtel.in. "Airtel VoWiFi is Live". airtel.in. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- "Vi (Vodafone Idea) covers All 22 telecom circles with its world class 4G LTE services". myvi.in. Archived from the original on 22 December 2020. Retrieved 21 December 2020.
- www.myvi.in. "Vi VoWiFi is Live". myvi.in. Archived from the original on 3 March 2021. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- www.myvi.in. "VI WiFi Hotpsot Service Live in Mumbai, Pune & Bangalore". myvi.in. Retrieved 4 January 2021.
- www.telecomtalk.info. "BSNL 4G VoLTE Service Live in Certain Circles". telecomtalk.info. Archived from the original on 2 March 2019. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- "Modi To Merge With Telstra And Spice". TelecomPaper. 22 June 2000. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Idea acquires Escotel, largest deal in Indian telecom sector". Zee News. 15 January 2004. Retrieved 5 August 2021.
- Parbat, Kalyan (2 November 2009). "Idea-Spice merger may ring in gains for Malaysian ally". The Economic Times. Archived from the original on 9 September 2020. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- Ramesh, Niranjana; Venkataraman, Hemamalini (24 June 2009). "Etisalat enters India, sets up back office at Ambattur in North Chennai". The Economic Times. Archived from the original on 10 September 2020. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- "Etisalat to shut India operations". The Times of India. 23 February 2012. Archived from the original on 4 April 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "TRAI Directs Loop Mobile To Inform Subscribers of Its Closure". TelecomTalk. 2 October 2020. Archived from the original on 18 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "VIRGIN MOBILE READY TO LAUNCH GSM SERVICE IN INDIA". TelecomTalk. 15 April 2009. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- "Exclusive: Virgin Mobile will be merged into the parent operator Tata Docomo with effect from March 27". TelecomTalk. 26 March 2015. Archived from the original on 18 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Bafna, Sanjay (7 March 2010). "Videocon To Launch GSM Mobile Services in 100 Cities in 100 Days". TelecomTalk. Archived from the original on 3 May 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- Varma (4 May 2016). "Videocon Telecom to shut down Mobile Services on 11th May 2016". DataReign. Archived from the original on 18 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Bafna, Sanjay (3 January 2013). "Videocon To Shut Down GSM Operations in 11 Circles Including Mumbai, Asks Customers To Port Out Before 18 January". TelecomTalk. Archived from the original on 7 June 2019. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- "Reliance Communication gets Bombay HC approval for Sistema acquisition". The Economic Times. 8 October 2016. Archived from the original on 20 August 2020. Retrieved 10 September 2020.
- Parbat, Kalyan; Sengupta, Devina (31 August 2018). "NCLT gives go-ahead to Idea-Vodafone merger". The Economic Times. Archived from the original on 24 April 2019. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Pandey, Navadha (12 January 2018). "NCLT approves Idea-Vodafone merger". LiveMint. Archived from the original on 21 June 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- Pandey, Piyush (28 February 2018). "Aircel files for bankruptcy". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Philipose, Mobis (13 October 2017). "Tata Tele deal: How Airtel is getting a billion-dollar business for free". LiveMint. Archived from the original on 18 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Airtel completes Tata merger". Business Line. 5 June 2019. Archived from the original on 9 September 2020. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Tribunal Admits Anil Ambani's Reliance Communications For Bankruptcy". NDTV.com. 10 May 2019. Archived from the original on 18 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "MTNL to be subsidiary of BSNL, government okays". The New Indian Express. 2 November 2019. Archived from the original on 9 September 2020. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- Rathee, Kiran (5 July 2020). "BSNL-MTNL merger may get delayed as govt-appointed panel wants spectrum first". The Financial Express. Archived from the original on 9 September 2020. Retrieved 6 August 2020.
- "Yearly Performance Indicators of Indian Telecom Sector - 2021" (PDF).
- "Performance Indicator Report April- June 2021" (PDF).
- Ravikumar, R. "Tata Sky to invest Rs 1,000 cr for tech upgrade". @businessline.
- "Dish TV India, Videocon d2h merger completed". The Economic Times. 22 March 2018. Archived from the original on 12 April 2018. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "MTNL to be act as BSNL subsidiary Till Merger Complete". The Hindu. 29 June 2019.
- "About us". You Broadband Limited. 29 June 2019.
- "Home Broadband". Digital Network Associates Pvt. Ltd. 26 November 2021.
- Sengupta, Devina (28 February 2018). "Aircel, country's last small mobile phone operator, files for bankruptcy". The Economic Times. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Aircel's bankruptcy note on Facebook".
- Gulveen Aulakh. "DoT approves Bharti Airtel and Telenor India merger". The Economic Times.
- ISP market share grouped by ASNs used (APNIC report)
- List of ASNs assigned to India
- DoT website
- List of Telecom Service Providers on TRAI website
- Department of Telecommunications, Government of India
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India
- Cellular Operators Association of India
- Wireless Planning & Coordination Wing
- List of Telecom Service Providers on TRAI website
- Live Video Streaming Services