|Public Limited Company
|Kumar Mangalam Birla
|Products||Mobile telephony, wireless broadband|
|Revenue||₹265 billion (US$4.0 billion) (2013–14)|
|₹19.68 billion (US$300 million) (2013–14)|
|Total assets||US$5.334 billion (2010)|
|Members||159.20 million (April 2015)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Aditya Birla Group (49.05%)
Axiata Group Berhad (19.96%)
Providence Equity (10.6%)
|Slogan||An idea can change your life|
Idea Cellular, commonly referred to as Idea, is an Indian mobile network operator based in Mumbai, India. Idea is a pan-India integrated GSM operator offering 2G and 3G mobile services. Idea is India’s third largest mobile operator by subscriber base. Idea has a market share of 16.36% with 159.20 million subscribers as of April 2015.
During its inception in 1995, Aditya Birla Group, Tata Group and AT&T Wireless each held one-third equity in the company. Following AT&T Wireless' merger with Cingular Wireless in 2004, Cingular decided to sell its 32.9% stake in Idea. This stake was bought by the remaining two stakeholders equally. Tata forayed into the cellular market with its own subsidiary, Tata Indicom, a CDMA-based mobile provider and in April 2006, Aditya Birla Group announced the acquisition of the 48.18% stake held by Tata Group at INR 40.51 a share amounting to INR 44.06 billion with 15% of the stake acquired by Aditya Birla Nuvo and the remaining by Birla TMT holdings Private Ltd. both AV Birla family owned companies. Malaysia based Axiata bought a 19.96% stake in the company in 2009.
Idea competes with other major mobile operators including Airtel, Vodafone, BSNL, Reliance Communications, Aircel, Uninor and Tata DoCoMo. On 19 May 2010, in the 3G spectrum auction Idea paid ₹ 5,768.59 crore for spectrum in 11 circles. On 28 March 2011, Idea launched 3G services in Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. The launch cities were Ahmedabad, Shimla, Pathankot and Indore.
Idea currently supports up to 21.1 Mbit/s over 2G speeds of 256 kbit/s. It also offers GPRS services in urban areas. On 23 November 2011, Idea Cellular launched two 3G handsets in India: Idea 3G smartphone blade and Idea 3G smartphone based on Android 2.2 Froyo.
- "Idea Cellular – Cell Phone Services". Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Consolidated Result". Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "Telecom Subscription data, January 2015" (PDF). TRAI. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Cingular Allows Agreement to Sell Stake in Indian Wireless Service Provider to Expire". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved 2015-06-07.
- "Axiata sees long-term gains from India price war". Dow Jones Newswires (Total Telecom). 14 October 2009. Retrieved 14 October 2009.
- Pahwa, Nikhil (19 May 2010). "India’s 3G Auction Ends; Operator And Circle-Wise Results". MediaNama.
- "Idea Cellular launches 3G services from MP & Chhattisgarh". Indiainfoline.com. 28 March 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
- "3G Guide". Idea Celluar. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "Idea launched 2 affordable Androids, rebrands ZTE Blade and Huawei Ideos X1 in India". TechIt.in. 23 November 2011.