|Founded by||Mahmood Khan|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||50/50 ♂/♀|
Mahmudabad tehsil town is the main town in the mandal which has about 66 villages around, while the main city in the District is Sitapur which is 37.4 km away and States Headquarters Lucknow is 52 km away. Mahmudabad is approachable by road from all the cities and towns of Uttar Pradesh, while Lucknow and Amausi Airports situated about 60 km and 70 km respectively are the nearest airports and Mahmudabad Avdh having a Railway Station, besides MundaGopal Ash, Sidhauli and Ataria Railway stations are the nearest Rail stations which are around 3 to 32 km distance, and some trains heading to Bihar from Delhi stop in these stations.
Mahmudabad Estate was one of the largest feudal estates in the erstwhile kingdom of Awadh. Its raja, during the freedom struggle, had been an important member of the Muslim League and a close friend of Jinnah. In 1962, he migrated to Pakistan, leaving his young son and heir behind in Lucknow. The vast Mahmudabad properties in UP were then seized as "enemy property" under defence rules. When the old raja died in London in 1974, his son Raja Mohammad Amir Khan began a long legal battle to get back his inheritance. In a landmark judgement in Sep 2005, the Supreme Court of India directed the Government of India to release the Mahmudabad properties and restore them to the present raja. The properties include Butler Palace and large chunks of Hazratganj in Lucknow, the Metropole Hotel in Nainital and much of Sitapur town.
As of 2001[update] India census, Mahmudabad had a population of 41,911. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Mahmudabad has an average literacy rate of 49%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 54%, and female literacy is 43%. In Mahmudabad, 17% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Sardar Singh Convent Inter College
- Indian Institute of Computer Education
- Anand Book Depot Near Seth Ram Gulam Degree College
- Prakash Vidya Mandir Inter College
- United Avadh Inter College
- Sita Inter College
- Maulana Azad Institute of Humanities Science and Technology
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Polytechnic
- Moulana Azad Law College
- Seth Ram Gulam Inter and Degree College
- Don bosco high school
- kalwn inter collge
- F.A.R mahavidyalay
- I,T I collage
- S.V.mandir high school
- Mahmoodabad Law College
- Mahmoodabad College of Management & Technology
Janab Amir Hussain Warsi one of the best nauha and soz khwaan of utter pradesh
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Naqvi, Saba (13 March 2006). "Suleiman, After Vanvas". Outlook India. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- Contractor, Farzana Behram. "The Riyasat Of Raja Mehmoodabad". Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- Zabeeh, Zia-ur-Rahman. "Raja Sahib of Mahmudabad". Retrieved 19 July 2013.