Moto X Play
|Related||Moto X Style|
Moto G (3rd generation)
|Dimensions||148 mm (5.8 in) H |
75 mm (3.0 in) W
10.9 mm (0.43 in) D
|Mass||169 g (6.0 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: Android 5.1.1 "Lollipop"|
Current: Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow" (For Droid Maxx 2)
Android 7.1.1 Nougat (For Moto X Play)
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 615|
|CPU||1.7 GHz 64-bit Octa-core|
|Memory||2 GB LPDDR3 RAM|
|Storage||16 or 32 GB|
|Removable storage||microSDXC up to 128 GB|
|Battery||3630 mAh Li-Po|
|Display||5.5" (140 mm) 1080 × 1920 pixel (403 ppi) IPS LCD|
|Rear camera||21 MP Sony Exmor IMX230, f/2.0 aperture, dual CCT flash, 1080p video recording @ 30fps, slow motion|
|Front camera||5 MP|
Moto X Play is an Android smartphone developed by Motorola Mobility, a division of Lenovo. Unveiled on July 28, 2015, it was one of three devices that succeeded the second-generation Moto X. In contrast to the high-end Moto X Style, the Play is intended as a mid-range device with high battery capacity .
It was released in Canada, Europe, and Latin America in August 2015. In the United States, it was exclusive to Verizon Wireless under the name Droid Maxx 2, as unveiled in October 2015 as part of the Droid line of smartphones that are exclusively manufactured by Motorola.
The Moto X Play's chassis features a faux metallic bezel and a textured rear cover, and is splash-resistant. The rear cover can be removed and replaced with differently-colored versions to customize the phone; no other user-replaceable parts are present under the cover, as the device's battery is non-removable, and the SIM and MicroSD card tray are located on the top.
It is powered by a 1.7 GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 system-on-chip with 2 GB of RAM, and features a 5.5-inch 1080p IPS LCD display. Moto X Play is available with either 16 or 32 GB of internal storage, expandable via MicroSD card. The Moto X Play includes a non-replaceable 3630 mAh battery, which Motorola rated as providing 48 hours of mixed usage on a single charge. It also features a 21-megapixel rear-facing camera with Back-LED flash, and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera with wide-angle lens.
The Moto X Play shipped with Android 5.1.1 "Lollipop", customized with Motorola's suite of apps including Moto Display, Moto Voice, and Moto Assist. In January 2016, Motorola began to release an update to Android 6.0 "Marshmallow". It enables new features such as "Google Now on Tap", which allows users to perform searches within the context of information currently being displayed on-screen, and "Doze", which optimizes battery usage when the device is not being physically handled. An update to Android 7.1.1 "Nougat" was released in June 2017 for international models and February 2018 for U.S. Droid Maxx 2 models.
The Moto X Play has several variants to support 3G and 4G networks of different carriers:
|Model||FCC ID||Regions||CDMA bands||GSM bands||UMTS bands||LTE bands||Notes|
|XT1561||China||Unknown||Quad||Unknown||Unknown||Unlocked for Chinese Carriers|
|XT1562||Europe, Australia, India||N/A||Quad||850/900/1800/1900/2100||1/3/5/7/8/19/20/28/38/40/41||SIM unlocked|
|XT1563||Canada, Brazil and most Latin American carriers||N/A||Quad||850/900/1700(AWS)/1800/1900/2100||1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/28|
All variants support the four 2G GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900.
- "Motorola unveils new Moto X Style, Moto X Play, and Moto G smartphones". VentureBeat. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Verizon's Droid Maxx 2 is a Moto X Play for the US". The Verge. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Motorola now exclusive Droid partner to Verizon". CNET. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Moto X Play review: An unexciting phone with a huge battery". Engadget. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Crowd Pleaser: Motorola Moto X Play review". GSMArena. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Moto X Play review". Techradar. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Motorola Moto X Play review: a decent performer for a bit less". The Guardian. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Moto X Play Now Receiving Android 6.0 Marshmallow Update in India". Gadgets360. NDTV. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Android 6.0 Marshmallow, thoroughly reviewed". Ars Technica. Conde Nast. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- "Moto X Play is now receiving the update to Android 7.1.1 Nougat". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2019-01-26.
- Vasile, Cosmin. "Motorola DROID MAXX 2 receiving Android 7.0 Nougat update". Phone Arena. Retrieved 2019-01-26.
- Motorola Moto X Play Get Certified In China, Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of China
- "Specifications". motorola.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Specifications". motorola.com.au. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Specifications". motorola.in. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Specifications". motorola.ca. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Specifications". motorola.com.br. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
Moto X (2014)
| Moto X Play