New Mill, Northbourne
|New Mill, Northbourne|
|Base storeys||Single-storey base|
|No. of sails||Four|
|Type of sails||Double Patent sails|
|Fantail blades||Six blades|
|Auxiliary power||Steam engine 1886 - 1947|
Electric motor 1951 - 1957
|No. of pairs of millstones||Three pairs|
New mill was built in 1848 by Messrs J J and T R Holman, the Canterbury millwrights at a cost of £600. It was originally built with two pairs of millstones, and some of the machinery was to be second hand. A 7 horsepower (5.2 kW) Robey & Co. steam engine was added in 1886 at a cost of £210. and a third pair of millstones added in 1892. The mill was overhauled by Holman's in 1910, including two new cant (corner) posts and a new sail. In July 1915 two sails and the fantail were blown off. The mill was repaired in 1916 and from then on ran with only two sails. The steam engine was scrapped in 1947 but the mill was working by wind until 1949, when it was dismantled. After standing idle for a short time it was run by electric motor from 1951 to 1957. The mill was converted into a house in 1976 and the former engine shed is now used as bed and breakfast accommodation.
New Mill is a four-storey smock mill on a single storey single-storey brick base. There is a stage at first-floor level. It had four double Patent sails carried on a cast-iron windshaft. The mill was winded by a fantail. It had three pairs of millstones. The only piece of machinery remaining is the windshaft, still in position on the cap frame.
- Richard Fuller 1848 - 1881
- Thomas M Fuller 1881 - 1902
- Ernest M Fuller 1902 - 1957
- Richard J Fuller 1930 - 1957
- "THE NEW MILL, MILL LANE (north side), NORTHBOURNE, DOVER, KENT". English Heritage. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
- Coles Finch, William (1933). Watermills and Windmills. London: C W Daniel Company. p. 251.
- "THE WINDMILL". Paul Harrison. Archived from the original on November 30, 2006. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
- West, Jenny (1973). The Windmills of Kent. London: Charles Skilton Ltd. pp. 59–61. ISBN 0284-98534-1.
- "THE ACCOMMODATION". Paul Harrison. Archived from the original on 2008-06-14. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
- "Directory of Kent Mill People". The Mills Archive Trust. Archived from the original on 2009-04-16. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
- Windmill World page on the mill.