Our Saviour Roman Catholic Church (Manhattan)
|Church of Our Saviour|
|Town or city||New York, New York|
|Country||United States of America|
|Client||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Paul C. Reilly|
|Our Savior Catholic Church, Manhattan|
Church of Our Saviour is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 59 Park Avenue and 38th Street in Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1955 and the church was constructed from 1957 to 1959.
In 2015 the parish of St. Stephen/Our Lady of the Scapular merged with the parish of Our Saviour. This included the Chapel of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary which had previously merged with St. Stephen/OLS.
The church was designed by Paul C. Reilly, who was also known for his design of Manhattan theaters. It was the first church built in New York City that was designed to accommodate air conditioning; the cooling equipment is hidden in the tower.
The church of St. Stephen the Martyr contained a series of paintings depicting the Stations of the Cross executed by Constantino Brumidi, beginning in 1868. Brumidi's Stations have been restored and the frames regilded. In March 2016 they were installed in Our Saviour, the parish church of the new merged parish of Our Saviour, St. Stephen and Our Lady of the Scapular, and the Chapel of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary.
- Dunlap, David W. (2004). From Abyssinian to Zion: A Guide to Manhattan's Houses of Worship. New York: Columbia University Press. p. 170. ISBN 0231125437. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- "Paul C. Reilly, 94, Architect And a Catholic Lay Leader". The New York Times. September 13, 1984. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- Rowland, Stanley Jr. (June 28, 1957). "3 Cornerstones Set by Spellman; Foundling and Misericordia Hospitals and Our Saviour Church Cost $23,400,000". The New York Times. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- "Mass Dedicates Park Ave. Church; Spellman Presides at Rite After Blessing Edifice of Our Saviour". The New York Times. September 28, 1959. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- Timothy Cardinal Dolan. "Decree of the Merger of the Parish of Our Saviour, New York, NY and the Parish of St. Stephen/Our Lady of the Scapular, New York, NY", November 2, 2014
- Morrone, Francis (Winter 1993). "Classical New York". City Journal. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- "Restored Brumidi Stations Now Hang At Our Saviour", Catholic New York, March 30, 2016
- The Roman Catholic Parish of Our Saviour, St. Stephen and Our Lady of the Scapular, and the Chapel of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary
- The Roman Catholic Parish of Our Saviour, St. Stephen and Our Lady of the Scapular, and the Chapel of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary website
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Manhattan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|