From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The main lineages
The Rajputs are divided into 36 clans, each clan belonging to one of three basic lineages (vanshas or vamshas):
- the Suryavanshi lineage, claiming descent from Surya, the Hindu Sun-god or in English it is known as Solar Dynasty;
- the Chandravanshi lineage, claiming descent from Chandra, the Hindu Moon-god or in English it is known as Lunar Dynasty;
- the Agnivanshi lineage, claiming descent from Agni, the Hindu god of fire. Four Rajput clans are considered to be Agnivanshi.They are Chauhans, Paramara, Solanki and Pratiharas.
- Sailendra Nath Sen (1999). Ancient Indian History and Civilization. New Age International. p. 307. ISBN 9788122411980.
- J.L. Mehta (2009). Vol. Iii: Medieval Indian Society And Culture. Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd. p. 61. ISBN 9788120704329.
- Jai Narayan Asopa (1990). A socio-political and economic study, northern India. Prateeksha Publications. p. 89. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Barbara N. Ramusack (2003). The Indian Princes and their States, The New Cambridge History of India. Cambridge University Press. p. 14. ISBN 9781139449083.
- A. K. Warder (1972), "An Introduction to Indian Historiography".
- Upendra Thakur (1974), "Some aspects of Ancient India History and culture"