From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||It has been suggested that this article be merged with 36 royal races. (Discuss) Proposed since November 2013.|
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2013)|
The main lineages
The rajputs are divided into 36 clans, each clan belonging to one of three basic lineages (vanshas or vamshas):
- the Suryavanshi lineage, claiming descent from Surya, the Hindu Sun-god or in English it is known as Solar Dynasty;
- the Chandravanshi lineage, claiming descent from Chandra, the Hindu Moon-god or in English it is known as Lunar Dynasty;
- the Agnivanshi lineage, claiming descent from Agni, the Hindu god of fire.Four Rajput clans are considered to be Agnivanshi.They are Chauhans, Paramara, Solanki and Pratiharas.
Rajput clans & their main centers
- Pundir - Dhama/Dayma/Dahima Pundir
- Sikarwar (Sikerwal)
- Gaur/Gour, Gotra
- A. K. Warder (1972), "An Introduction to Indian Historiography".
- Upendra Thakur (1974), "Some aspects of Ancient India History and culture"