Santa Fe Independent School District
|Santa Fe Independent School District|
4133 Warpath Avenue, Santa Fe, Texas 77510
|Motto||Prepare. Achieve. Succeed.|
|Superintendent||Dr. Leigh Wall|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Website||Santa Fe ISD|
Santa Fe Independent School District (SFISD) is a public school district based in Santa Fe, Texas (USA) in the Houston metropolitan area. In addition to Santa Fe, the district serves parts of League City, La Marque, Hitchcock, and Dickinson.
The district was a petitioner of the United States Supreme Court case Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe, which held that student-led, student-initiated prayer at football games violates the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution. 18 years later, 10 people were killed in the Santa Fe High School shooting.
From the 2017-2018 to the 2018-2019 school years, the enrollment declined by 200 students, with about 100 fewer students at the high school. The shooting and Hurricane Harvey were both factors in the decline.
- R.J. Wollam Elementary School, 3400 Avenue S,(Pre-K through 2nd grade)
- Dan J. Kubacak Elementary, 4131 Warpath, (grades 3-5; formerly Santa Fe Elementary North)
- Santa Fe Junior High School, 4132 Warpath, (grades 6-8)
- Santa Fe High School, 16000 State Highway 6, (grades 9-12)
- Elizabeth Cowan Elementary, 4133 Warpath, (grades 2-4; formerly Santa Fe Elementary South, closed in 2011 for renovation into the new administration building, students moved to Wollam (2nd graders) and Kubacak (3rd and 4th graders) Elementary campuses)
- Fritz Barnett Intermediate School, 4135 Warpath, (grades 5-6; formerly Santa Fe Intermediate School, closed in 2011, students split between Kubacak Elementary and Santa Fe Junior High)
Kindergarten through fourth grade runs from 8:15 am to 3:45 pm. Grades five through twelve start school at 7:15 am and get out at 2:30 pm. During the 2010-2011 school year, every Thursday the high school would begin classes at 9:10 and get out at the same time, 2:30, with an adjusted schedule on that day.
Buses are divided as follows:
- Pre K-1
At the beginning of the 2008 school year, SFISD lifted the dress code for all schools, yet there are still strict guidelines on what the students can wear.
Effects of Hurricane Ike
During Hurricane Ike RJW's roof collapsed, displacing students. Kindergarten students held classes at ECE, and 1st graders at the Junior High. The kindergarten and first graders rode home with the second, third, and fourth graders.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Santa Fe Independent School District Police Department is the principal law enforcement agency for the Santa Fe Independent School District. The current chief of police is Walter Braun.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Galveston County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 21, 2018.
- "2009 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2015-10-25.
- Welb, Shelby (2018-12-07). "Enrollment drops at Santa Fe schools after shooting". Houston Cronicle. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- [dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-02. Retrieved 2010-04-18.