Hassan at the 2015 World Championships
|Born||January 1, 1993|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||49 kg (108 lb)|
|Club||Nike Oregon Project|
|Coached by||Alberto Salazar|
Sifan Hassan (Siifan Hassan; born 1993) is an Ethiopian-Dutch middle- and long-distance runner. She is the Dutch indoor record holder for the 1500 metres and 3000 metres and was the under-23 winner at the 2013 European Cross Country Championships. Hassan won the gold medal in the 1500 m event at the 2014 European Championships and in the 5000 m event at the 2018 European Championships and also won two bronze medals at the World Championships, in 2015 in the 1500 metres event and in 2017 in the 5000 metres event.
Affiliated with Eindhoven Atletiek, she entered the Eindhoven Half Marathon in 2011 and won the race with a time of 77:10 minutes. She was also runner-up at two cross country races (Sylvestercross and Mol Lotto Cross Cup). She won those races in 2012, as well as the 3000 m at the Leiden Gouden Spike meeting.
Sifan made her breakthrough in the 2013 season. She ran an 800 metres best of 2:00.86 minutes to win at the KBC Night of Athletics and took wins over 1500 m at the Nijmegen Global Athletics and Golden Spike Ostrava meetings. On the 2013 IAAF Diamond League circuit she was runner-up in the 1500 m at Athletissima with a personal best of 4:03.73 minutes and was third at the DN Galan 3000 m with a best of 8:32.53 minutes – this time ranked her the fourth fastest in the world that year.
She gained Dutch citizenship in November 2013 and the following month she made her first appearance for her adopted country. At the 2013 European Cross Country Championships she won the gold medal in the under-23 category and helped the Dutch team to third in the rankings. She also won the Warandeloop and Lotto Cross Cup Brussels races that winter. At the beginning of 2014 she ran a world leading time of 8:45.32 minutes for the 3000 m at the Weltklasse in Karlsruhe, then broke the Dutch record in the indoor 1500 m with a run of 4:05.34 minutes at the Birmingham Indoor Grand Prix.
At the 2015 World Championships in Beijing, Hassan won the bronze medal in the 1500 meters. She became the second female Dutch athlete ever to win a medal at the World Championships, after Dafne Schippers. She was the third female Dutch winner at the 2015 European Cross Country Championships, following in the footsteps of fellow African migrants Hilda Kibet and Lornah Kiplagat.
She finished 5th in the 1500 metres at the 2017 World Athletics Championships and won the bronze medal in the 5000 metres event. On July 13, 2018, she broke the European record for 5000 meters by finishing second at the Rabat Diamond League in 14:22.34.
On the 16th of September 2018 she broke the European record for the half marathon with a time of 65:15, winning the Copenhagen Half Marathon 
- 800 metres - 1:56.81 (Monaco, Stade Louis II, 20 Jul. 2017)
- 1000 metres - 2:34.68 (Hengelo (Fanny Blankers-Koen Stadion), 24 May 2015)
- 1500 metres - 3:56.05 (Monaco (Stade Louis II, 17 Jul. 2015)
- One Mile - 4:14.71 (Millicent Fawcett Mile, London, Diamond League, 21 July 2018)
- 3000 metres - 8:27.50 (Ostrava, Městský stadion, 08 Sep. 2018)
- 5000 metres - 14:22.34 (Rabat [Complexe Sportif Prince Moulay Abdellah], 13 July 2018)
- Half Marathon - 64:15 (Copenhagen, 16 September 2018)
Indoor personal bests
- 800 metres - 2:04.16 (Gent (Topsporthal), 09 Feb. 2014)
- 1500 metres - 4:00.46 (Stockholm (Globe Arena), 19 Feb. 2015)
- Mile - 4:19.89 (New York City, 11 Feb. 2017)
- 3000 metres - 8:45.32 (Karlsruhe (Europahalle), 01 Feb. 2014)
- Hassan. IAAF. Retrieved on 2015-08-27.
- Brink, Cors Van den (2013-11-24). Een Edammertje voor de atlete uit Nazareth (in Dutch). Atletiek Week. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- Sifan Hassan Archived 2014-03-01 at the Wayback Machine.. Global Sports Communication. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- Sifan Hassan. European Athletics. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- Sifan Hassan. Tilastopaja. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- Rorick, Jim (2013-10-22). 2013 World Comprehensive List - Women. Track and Field News. Retrieved on 2014-03-01.
- Mulkeen, Jon (2013-12-08). Third time lucky for Duarte at European Cross as Bezabeh regains title. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- Minshull, Phil (2013-12-22). Hassan and Kibet take the honours in Brussels – IAAF Cross Country Permit. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- Minshull, Phil (2014-02-01). Genzebe Dibaba smashes world indoor 1500m record with 3:55.17 in Karlsruhe. IAAF. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- Birmingham: Sifan Hassan verbetert NR 1500m: 4’05″34 (in Dutch). Losse Veter. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- Hassan and Kaya victorious at European Cross Country Championships. IAAF (2015-12-13). Retrieved on 2015-12-13.
- IAAF Diamond League 2018 Rabat results Retrieved on July 13, 2018.
- "Programme 2018 and results". Muller Anniversary Games. Diamond League. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- European Athletics website Retrieved on October 2, 2018.