Wendy McElroy speaking in Springfield, Illinois, September 16, 2006.
|Born||1951 (age 63–64)
Among feminists, she identifies herself as being sex-positive: defending the availability of pornography and condemning anti-pornography feminism campaigns. She has also voiced criticism of sexual harassment policies, particularly the zero-tolerance policies common to grade schools, which she considers to be "far too broad and vague" and lacking the sound research necessary to guide responsible policy-making decisions.
Capitalism and government
In explaining her position in regard to capitalism, she says she has a "marked personal preference for capitalism as the most productive, fair and sensible economic system on the face of the earth," but also recognizes that the free market permits other kinds of systems as well. She says what she wants for society is "not necessarily a capitalistic arrangement but a free market system in which everyone can make the peaceful choices they wish with their own bodies and labor." Therefore, she does not call herself a capitalist but someone for a "free market."
She credits Murray Rothbard's book Man, Economy, and State: A Treatise on Economic Principles as being "solely responsible for turning [her] from the advocacy of limited government to a lifetime of work within the individualist-anarchist tradition."
Wendy was in a relationship with George H. Smith prior to 1988. That relationship ended unamicably in 1988, and the two have never reconciled. Wendy later married fellow individualist anarchist Brad Spangler.
- National Identification Systems: Essays in Opposition, by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2004 ISBN 0-7864-1595-9
- Debates of Liberty: An Overview of Individualist Anarchism, 1881–1908, February 1, 2003 ISBN 0-7391-0473-X
- Liberty for Women: Freedom and Feminism in the Twenty-First Century. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee. 2002. ISBN 978-1566634359. OCLC 260069067.
- Sexual Correctness: The Gender-Feminist Attack on Women, June 2001
- Dissenting Electorate: Those Who Refuse to Vote and the Legitimacy of Their Opposition by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2001
- Individualist Feminism of the Nineteenth Century: Collected Writings and Biographical Profiles, January 1, 2001
- Queen Silver: The Godless Girl (Women's Studies (Amherst, N.Y.) by Wendy McElroy, Queen Selections Silver, December 1, 1999 – about her friend Queen Selections Silver. Silver was a left-wing anarchist, but despite vigorous political difference, the two remained close.
- Freedom, Feminism, and the State by Wendy McElroy, Lewis Perry, February 1, 1999
- The Reasonable Woman: A Guide to Intellectual Survival, April 1, 1998
- XXX: A Woman's Right to Pornography by Wendy McElroy, Prelude Pr, 1995, ISBN 0-312-13626-9
- Liberty, 1881–1908: A Comprehensive Index, January 1982
- You Are What You Read?
- Sexual Harassment Policies Need Reform by Wendy McElroy
- Capitalism Versus the Free Market
- McElroy, Wendy. "Rothbard as System-Builder: A Tribute". Liberty Magazine.
- McElroy, Wendy (January 9, 2011) LET A THOUSAND LEAKS BLOOM, WendyMcElroy.com
- , accessed 23 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wendy McElroy.|
- Home Page
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Mises.org archive
- LewRockwell.com archive
- Fox News site articles by McElroy
- McElroy columns on The Intellectual Conservative
- An interview with Wendy McElroy
- FEE Authors: Wendy McElroy