This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1951 (age 67–68)|
Wendy McElroy (born 1951) is a Canadian individualist feminist and anarcho-capitalist writer. She was a co-founder along with Carl Watner and George H. Smith of The Voluntaryist magazine in 1982 and is the author of a number of books. McElroy is the editor of the website ifeminists.net.
Rape and sexual harassment
McElroy believes that crime data about rape are extremely inaccurate and that rape culture is a false narrative created by "politically-correct" feminists. She is the author of Rape Culture Hysteria in which she contends that rape culture is a result of popular hysteria to the disadvantage of men, and in particular, white men.
Capitalism and government
In explaining her position in regard to capitalism, McElroy says she has a "marked personal preference for capitalism as the most productive, fair and sensible economic system on the face of the earth," but recognizes that the free market also enables other economic systems. She says what she wants for society is "not necessarily a capitalistic arrangement but a free market system in which everyone can make the peaceful choices they wish with their own bodies and labor", and therefore describes herself as a supporter of free market economics.
She credits Murray Rothbard's book Man, Economy, and State: A Treatise on Economic Principles (1962) as being "solely responsible for turning [her] from the advocacy of limited government to a lifetime of work within the individualist-anarchist tradition."
Debate with Jessica Valenti
In November 2014, McElroy was scheduled to face gender feminist Jessica Valenti at a Brown University Janus Forum debate on "How Should Colleges Handle Sexual Assault?". Before the debate, Brown President Christina Paxson sent out a campus-wide e-mail saying she disagreed with McElroy's views. Also, Paxson setup an alternative event at the same time. The actions of Brown students and Paxson were criticized by various commentators.
George H. Smith
McElroy has repeatedly worked with George H. Smith, another well-known anarcho-capitalist author. However, the relationship between McElroy and Smith became rancorous in 2015, to the point where McElroy complained of "sexual slander", victimization and exploitation.
- National Identification Systems: Essays in Opposition, by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2004 ISBN 0-7864-1595-9
- Debates of Liberty: An Overview of Individualist Anarchism, 1881–1908, February 1, 2003 ISBN 0-7391-0473-X
- Liberty for Women: Freedom and Feminism in the Twenty-First Century. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee. 2002. ISBN 978-1566634359. OCLC 260069067.
- Sexual Correctness: The Gender-Feminist Attack on Women, June 2001
- Dissenting Electorate: Those Who Refuse to Vote and the Legitimacy of Their Opposition by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2001
- Individualist Feminism of the Nineteenth Century: Collected Writings and Biographical Profiles, January 1, 2001
- Queen Silver: The Godless Girl (Women's Studies (Amherst, N.Y.), Queen Selections Silver, December 1, 1999 – about her friend Queen Selections Silver.
- Freedom, Feminism, and the State by Wendy McElroy, Lewis Perry, February 1, 1999
- The Reasonable Woman: A Guide to Intellectual Survival, April 1, 1998
- XXX: A Woman's Right to Pornography Prelude Press, 1995, ISBN 0-312-13626-9
- Liberty, 1881–1908: A Comprehensive Index, January 1982
- Contributor (2008). Hamowy, Ronald (ed.). The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Cato Institute. doi:10.4135/9781412965811. ISBN 978-1-4129-6580-4. LCCN 2008009151. OCLC 750831024. Missing or empty
- McElroy, Wendy (2008). "Feminism and Women's Rights". The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. pp. 173–76. doi:10.4135/9781412965811.n106. ISBN 9781412965804.
- McElroy, Wendy (2008). "Godwin, William (1756–1836)". Godwin, William (1856–1836). p. 211. doi:10.4135/9781412965811.n126. ISBN 9781412965804.
- McElroy, Wendy (2008). "Price, Richard (1723–1791)". The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. pp. 388–89. doi:10.4135/9781412965811.n240. ISBN 9781412965804.
- McElroy, Wendy (2008). "Voltaire (1694–1778)". The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. p. 523. doi:10.4135/9781412965811.n319. ISBN 9781412965804.
- McElroy, Wendy (2008). "Voluntarism". The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. p. 524. doi:10.4135/9781412965811.n320. ISBN 9781412965804.
- McElroy, Wendy (2008). "Wollstonecraft, Mary (1759–1797)". The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. pp. 545–46. doi:10.4135/9781412965811.n331. ISBN 9781412965804.
- Individualist anarchism
- Individualist feminism
- Left-wing market anarchism
- "ifeminists.com > about". ifeminists.net.
- McElroy, Wendy. "You Are What You Read?". Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "Debate with Jessica Valenti on "Rape Culture."". Liberty.me. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- McElroy, Wendy. "The Big Lie of a "Rape Culture"". The Future of Freedom Foundation. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- Rape Culture Hysteria: Fixing the Damage Done to Men and Women. Vulgus Press. 2016. ISBN 978-1533629401. OCLC 957521104.
- Reviewed in:
- Presley, Sharon (July 11, 2016). "A Review of Rape Culture Hysteria: Fixing the Damage Done to Men and Women". Libertarianism.org. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Beaver, William (Fall 2016). "Book Review". The Independent Review. 21 (2). Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Shaw, Jane S. "Is There Really a Rape Culture on Our Campuses?". The James G. Martin Center for Academic Renewal. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Sexual Harassment Policies Need Reform". LewRockwell.com. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Capitalism versus the free market". Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Rothbard as System-Builder: A Tribute". Liberty Magazine.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Let a Thousand Leaks Bloom". Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "How America Became the World's Policeman - Wendy McElroy".
- Brandfield-Harvey, Camilla; Kelly, Caroline (November 17, 2014). "Janus Forum sexual assault event sparks controversy". The Brown Daily Herald. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Saffron, Jesse (November 20, 2014). "An Intellectual Cocoon". National Review. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Summers, Adam B. (April 1, 2015). "The macroagression of shutting down debate". The Orange County Register. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Shulevitz, Judith (May 21, 2015). "In College and Hiding From Scary Ideas [Opinion]". The New York Times. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Courtland, Shane (February 19, 2018). "Protecting speech on college campuses is essential to the pursuit of knowledge". The State Journal. Clarksburg, WV: WVNews.com. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Seleh, Pardes (December 1, 2015). "Brown Students Can Finally Discuss Topic Freely ... In a Secret Facebook Group". The Daily Wire. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Soave, Robby (November 19, 2014). "Some Feminists Think Stopping Jokes Would Help Stop Rape, But 'Alcohol is Not the Problem'". Reason. Reason Foundation. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Follow Up To My Husband's Open Letter to Sharon Presley".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wendy McElroy.|