This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1951 (age 66–67)|
Wendy McElroy (born 1951) is a Canadian individualist feminist and anarcho-capitalist writer. She was a co-founder along with Carl Watner and George H. Smith of The Voluntaryist magazine in 1982 and is the author of a number of books. McElroy is the editor of the website ifeminists.net
Rape and sexual harassment
McElroy believes that crime data about rape are extremely inaccurate and that rape culture is a false narrative created by "politically-correct" feminists. She is the author of Rape Culture Hysteria in which she contends that rape culture is a result of popular hysteria to the disadvantage of men, and in particular, white men.
Capitalism and government
In explaining her position in regard to capitalism, McElroy says she has a "marked personal preference for capitalism as the most productive, fair and sensible economic system on the face of the earth," but recognizes that the free market also enables other economic systems. She says what she wants for society is "not necessarily a capitalistic arrangement but a free market system in which everyone can make the peaceful choices they wish with their own bodies and labor", and therefore describes herself as a supporter of free market economics.
She credits Murray Rothbard's book Man, Economy, and State: A Treatise on Economic Principles (1962) as being "solely responsible for turning [her] from the advocacy of limited government to a lifetime of work within the individualist-anarchist tradition."
Debate with Jessica Valenti
In November 2014 McElroy was scheduled to face liberal feminist Jessica Valenti at a Brown University Janus Forum debate on "How Should Colleges Handle Sexual Assault?". Before the debate, Brown President Christina Paxson sent out a campus-wide e-mail saying she disagreed with McElroy's views. Also, Paxson setup an alternative event at the same time. The actions of Brown students and Paxson were criticized by various commentators.
George H. Smith
McElroy has repeatedly worked with George H. Smith, another well-known anarcho-capitalist author. However, in 2015 the relationship between McElroy and Smith became rancorous, to the point where McElroy complained of "sexual slander," victimization and exploitation.
- National Identification Systems: Essays in Opposition, by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2004 ISBN 0-7864-1595-9
- Debates of Liberty: An Overview of Individualist Anarchism, 1881–1908, February 1, 2003 ISBN 0-7391-0473-X
- Liberty for Women: Freedom and Feminism in the Twenty-First Century. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee. 2002. ISBN 978-1566634359. OCLC 260069067.
- Sexual Correctness: The Gender-Feminist Attack on Women, June 2001
- Dissenting Electorate: Those Who Refuse to Vote and the Legitimacy of Their Opposition by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2001
- Individualist Feminism of the Nineteenth Century: Collected Writings and Biographical Profiles, January 1, 2001
- Queen Silver: The Godless Girl (Women's Studies (Amherst, N.Y.), Queen Selections Silver, December 1, 1999 – about her friend Queen Selections Silver.
- Freedom, Feminism, and the State by Wendy McElroy, Lewis Perry, February 1, 1999
- The Reasonable Woman: A Guide to Intellectual Survival, April 1, 1998
- XXX: A Woman's Right to Pornography Prelude Press, 1995, ISBN 0-312-13626-9
- Liberty, 1881–1908: A Comprehensive Index, January 1982
- Contributor (2008). Hamowy, Ronald, ed. The Encyclopedia of Libertarianism. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Cato Institute. ISBN 978-1-4129-6580-4. LCCN 2008009151. OCLC 750831024.
- Individualist anarchism
- Individualist feminism
- Left-wing market anarchism
- "ifeminists.com > about". www.ifeminists.net.
- McElroy, Wendy. "You Are What You Read?". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "Debate with Jessica Valenti on "Rape Culture."". Liberty.me. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- McElroy, Wendy. "The Big Lie of a "Rape Culture"". The Future of Freedom Foundation. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- Rape Culture Hysteria: Fixing the Damage Done to Men and Women. Vulgus Press. 2016. ISBN 978-1533629401. OCLC 957521104.
- Reviewed in:
- Presley, Sharon (July 11, 2016). "A Review of Rape Culture Hysteria: Fixing the Damage Done to Men and Women". Libertarianism.org. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Beaver, William (Fall 2016). "Book Review". The Independent Review. 21 (2). Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Shaw, Jane S. "Is There Really a Rape Culture on Our Campuses?". The James G. Martin Center for Academic Renewal. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Sexual Harassment Policies Need Reform". LewRockwell.com. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Capitalism versus the free market". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Rothbard as System-Builder: A Tribute". Liberty Magazine.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Let a Thousand Leaks Bloom". Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- "How America Became the World's Policeman - Wendy McElroy".
- Brandfield-Harvey, Camilla; Kelly, Caroline (November 17, 2014). "Janus Forum sexual assault event sparks controversy". The Brown Daily Herald. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Saffron, Jesse (November 20, 2014). "An Intellectual Cocoon". National Review. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Summers, Adam B. (April 1, 2015). "The macroagression of shutting down debate". The Orange County Register. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Shulevitz, Judith (May 21, 2015). "In College and Hiding From Scary Ideas [Opinion]". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Courtland, Shane (February 19, 2018). "Protecting speech on college campuses is essential to the pursuit of knowledge". The State Journal. Clarksburg, WV: WVNews.com. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Seleh, Pardes (December 1, 2015). "Brown Students Can Finally Discuss Topic Freely ... In a Secret Facebook Group". The Daily Wire. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Soave, Robby (November 19, 2014). "Some Feminists Think Stopping Jokes Would Help Stop Rape, But 'Alcohol is Not the Problem'". Reason. Reason Foundation. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- McElroy, Wendy. "Follow Up To My Husband's Open Letter to Sharon Presley".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wendy McElroy.|
- Home Page
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Mises.org archive
- LewRockwell.com archive
- Fox News site articles by McElroy
- McElroy columns on The Intellectual Conservative
- An interview with Wendy McElroy
- FEE Authors: Wendy McElroy
- Wendy McElroy at Goodreads
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- McElroy's Posts at Bitcoin.com News