|Factorization||2 · 17|
|Divisors||1, 2, 17, 34|
34 is the ninth distinct semiprime and has four divisors including one and itself. Its neighbors, 33 and 35, also are distinct semiprimes, having four divisors each, and 34 is the smallest number to be surrounded by numbers with the same number of divisors as it has. It is also in the first cluster of three distinct semiprimes, being within 33, 34, 35; the next such cluster of semiprimes is 85, 86, 87.
It is the ninth Fibonacci number and a companion Pell number. Since it is an odd-indexed Fibonacci number, 34 is a Markov number, appearing in solutions with other Fibonacci numbers, such as (1, 13, 34), (1, 34, 89), etc.
Thirty-four is a heptagonal number.
- The atomic number of selenium
- One of the magic number in physics.
- Messier object M34, a magnitude 6.0 open cluster in the constellation Perseus
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 34, a peculiar galaxy in the constellation Cetus
- The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began on 1917 BC August and ended on 384 BC February. The duration of Saros series 34 was 1532.5 years, and it contained 86 solar eclipses.
- The Saros number of the lunar eclipse series which began on 1633 BC May and ended on 335 BC June. The duration of Saros series 34 was 1298.1 years, and it contained 73 lunar eclipses.
- The jersey number 34 has been retired by several North American sports teams in honor of past playing greats or other key figures:
- In Major League Baseball:
- The Houston Astros and Texas Rangers, both for Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan.
- The Minnesota Twins, for Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett.
- The Oakland Athletics and Milwaukee Brewers, both for Hall of Famer Rollie Fingers.
- Additionally, the Los Angeles Dodgers have not issued the number since the departure of Fernando Valenzuela following the 1990 season. Under current team policy, Valenzuela's number is not eligible for retirement because he is not in the Hall of Fame.
- In the NBA:
- In the NFL:
- In the NCAA:
- In Major League Baseball:
- 34th Street (Manhattan), a major cross-town street in New York City
- 34th Street (New York City Subway), multiple New York City subway stations
In other fields
34 is also:
- The traffic code of Istanbul, Turkey
- "#34", a song by the Dave Matthews Band
- The number of the French department Hérault
- +34 is the code for international direct-dial phone calls to Spain
- Higgins, Peter (2008). Number Story: From Counting to Cryptography. New York: Copernicus. p. 53. ISBN 978-1-84800-000-1.
- "Evidence for a new nuclear ‘magic number’" (Press release). Saitama, Japan: Riken. 2013-10-10. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- Steppenbeck, D.; Takeuchi, S.; Aoi, N.; et al. (2013-10-10). "Evidence for a new nuclear ‘magic number’ from the level structure of 54Ca". Nature 502: 207–210. doi:10.1038/nature12522. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 34 (number).|