||This article may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples. (March 2010)
19 (nineteen) is the natural number following 18 and preceding 20. It is a prime number.
In English speech, the numbers 19 and 90 are often confused, as sounding very similar. When carefully enunciated, they differ in which syllable is stressed: 19 /naɪnˈtiːn/ vs 90 /ˈnaɪnti/. However, in dates such as 1999, and when contrasting numbers in the teens and when counting, such as 17, 18, 19, the stress shifts to the first syllable: 19 /ˈnaɪntiːn/.
19 is the 8th smallest prime number. The sequence continues 23, 29, 31, 37...
19 is the seventh Mersenne prime exponent.
19 is the aliquot sum of two odd discrete semiprimes, 65 and 77 and is the base of the 19-aliquot tree.
19 is a centered triangular number, centered hexagonal number and a Heegner number.
You can make the number 19 by adding or subtracting but not multiplying (whole numbers), 19 can also be made by division.
The only non-trivial normal magic hexagon contains 19 hexagons (the other being 1).
19 is the first number with more than one digit that can be written from base 2 to base 19 using only the digits 0 to 9; the other number is 20.
- The number of angels guarding Hell ("Hellfire") ("Saqar") according to the Qur'an: "Over it is nineteen" (74:30).
- The Number of Verse and Sura together in the Qur'an which announces Jesus son of Maryam's (Mary's) birth (Qur'an 19:19).
- Some people have claimed that patterns of the number 19 are present an unusual number of times in the Qur'an.
Baha'i faith 
In the Bábí and Bahá'í faiths, a group of 19 is called a Váhid, a Unity (Arabic: واحد wāhid, "one"). The numerical value of this word in the Abjad numeral system is 19.
- 19 is the debut album from English soul and jazz singer Adele.
- 19 is the fourth studio album from Russian pop singer Alsou.
- 19 is Evan Yo's first album, because Yo was nineteen years old when the album was released.
- "19" is a 1985 song by Paul Hardcastle, including sampled soundbites taken from a documentary about the Vietnam War in which 19 is claimed to have been the average age of United States soldiers killed in the conflict (an assertion which is widely disputed). The song was parodied by British satirist Rory Bremner under the pseudonym 'The Commentators,' as N-n-nineteen, Not Out, the title referring to the batting average of David Gower, the England cricket captain, during his side's risible performance against the West Indies in 1984 when they lost 5-0.
- Nineteen has been used as an alternative to twelve for a division of the octave into equal parts. This idea goes back to Salinas in the sixteenth century, and is interesting in part because it gives a system of meantone tuning, being close to 1/3 comma meantone. See 19 equal temperament.
- Some organs use the 19th harmonic to approximate a minor third.
- In Jodi Picoult's bestseller book Nineteen Minutes, the number 19 is referenced multiple times. It is most commonly referenced when referring to the main subject of the book, the school shooting rampage that took place over a span of 19 minutes.
- The game of Go is played on a grid of 19×19 lines (though variants can be played on grids of other sizes).
- Though the maximum score for a cribbage hand is 29, there is no combination of cards that adds up to 19 points. Many cribbage players, therefore, jokingly refer to a zero-point hand as "19 points."
- In Ecuadorian card game "40", when counting the amount of cards gathered in a hand, the limit is 19, after which the count starts at 6 and represents the points achieved during that hand.
Age 19 
- The final year a person is a teenager.
- This is the minimum age that is legal to buy tobacco products in the states Alabama, Alaska, New Jersey, Utah and several counties in New York including Nassau, Suffolk, and Onondaga.
- This is the minimum age at which one can drink and buy alcohol in Canada except for the provinces of Alberta, Manitoba, and Quebec where the drinking and purchase age of alcohol is 18.
- This is the minimum age to marry in the state of Nebraska.
In sports 
Other fields 
- ^ Sequence A131646 in The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences
- ^ Roush, Gary (2008-06-02). "Statistics about the Vietnam War". Vietnam Helicopter Flight Crew Network. Archived from the original on 2009-12-06. Retrieved 2009-12-06. "Assuming KIAs accurately represented age groups serving in Vietnam, the average age of an infantryman (MOS 11B) serving in Vietnam to be 19 years old is a myth, it is actually 22. None of the enlisted grades have an average age of less than 20."
- ^ Center for Health Improvement (2008-06-02). "Minimum Age Increase". Archived from the original on 2009-07-22. Retrieved 2004-06-30. "In Alabama, Alaska, and Utah, 19 years is the minimum age for sale of tobacco products"
External links