Sultan Muhammad Daud Syah, the last Sultan of Aceh
|approximately 4 million|
|Regions with significant populations|
Indonesia : > 3.5 million
|Related ethnic groups|
|Cham people, Malays, Gayo,|
The Acehnese (also Achinese) are a people in Aceh, Indonesia. Their homeland is located in the northernmost tip of the island of Sumatra and had a history of political struggle against the Dutch. Their language, the Acehnese, belongs to the Aceh–Chamic groups of Malayo-Polynesian branch of the Austronesian language family.
They were at one time Hinduized, as is evident from their traditions and the many Sanskrit words in their language. They have been Muslims for several centuries and are generally considered the most conservative[clarification needed] Muslim ethnic group in Indonesia.
Traditionally, there have been a large number of Acehnese agriculturists, metal-workers and weavers. Traditionally matrilocal, their social organization is communal. They live in gampôngs, which combine to form districts known as mukims.
Aceh came to international attention as being the hardest-hit region of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake with 120,000 people dead.
Due to conflict since Dutch invasion to Aceh until Martial Law in Aceh and 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake, many Acehnese fled abroad. The most significant number of Acehnese can be found in Malaysia and Scandinavia countries. Acehnese immigrants also can be found significantly in Singapore, Thailand, Australia, United States and Canada.
- Iskandar Muda
- Cut Nyak Dhien
- Cut Nyak Meutia
- Teungku Chik di Tiro
- P. Ramlee
- Teuku Muhammad Hasan
- Teuku Umar
- Teuku Jacob
- Hasan di Tiro
- Farhan Ramadhan
- Teuku Wisnu
- Admiral Keumala Hayati
- Surya Paloh
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Achin.|
- Making Noise: The Politics of Aceh and East Timor in the Diaspora page 87
- Nasib Masyarakat Aceh di Malaysia
- Arip Budiman (2010-05-19). "25.000 Pengungsi Tsunami Aceh Di Malaysia Harus Pulang". Kabarinews.com. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- Tanjung, Eka (2005-06-05). "Masyarakat Aceh di Skandinavia". Ranesi.nl (in Indonesian). Hak Cipta Radio Nederland. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- "Bagaimana GAM Melobi Internasional". Archived from the original on 2009-10-24.
- Chaidar, Al (2008-09-04). "Aceh Negeri Bayangan". Alchaidar.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- Warga Aceh di Australia prihatin Kondisi Aceh
- Ingin Mati di Kampung, Rela Lepas Rumah-Mobil di Harrisburg
- Aceh-Malaysia-Vancouver: Settlement Among Acehnese Refugees Five Years On