Ain Shams University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Ain Shams University|
|جامعة عين شمس|
Ain Shams University (Arabic: جامعة عين شمس) is an institute of higher education located in Cairo, Egypt. Founded in 1950, the university provides education at the undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate levels.
Ain Shams University was founded in July 1950, the third-oldest non-sectarian native public Egyptian university (ancient Islamic universities such as Al-Azhar and private institutions such as the American University in Cairo are older), under the name of Ibrahim Pasha's University. The two earlier universities of this kind are Cairo University (Fuad I university) and Alexandria University (Farouk I university). When it was first established, Ain Shams University had a number of faculties and academic institutes, which were later developed into a university. The university's academic structure includes 14 faculties, 1 college and 2 high institutes plus 12 centers and special units.
Faculties, colleges and institutes
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Computer and Information Science
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Languages (Al Alsun)
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Specific Education
- Women's College
- Institute of Environmental Studies and Research
- Institute of Postgraduate Childhood
- The Higher Institute of Cooperative & Managerial Studies
The main campus is in Abbassiya, Cairo and houses the Administration and Management at the Zaafarana palace, Science Education Development Center, Central Library, Child Hood Center and the University City (students hostel), in addition to the faculties of Computer Science, Science, Law and Art.
The Women's College has its own campus. Faculty of Specific Education, Faculty of Education and Faculty of Agriculture are each on separate campuses in Abassyia, Heliopolis and Shoubra El-Kheima respectively.
In 2012 Misr International films was producing a television series based on the novel Zaat by Sonallah Ibrahim. Filming of scenes set at Ain Shams University was scheduled to occur that year, but Muslim Brotherhood student members and some teachers at the school protested, stating that the 1970s era clothing worn by the actresses was indecent and would not allow filming unless the clothing was changed. Gaby Khoury, the head of the film company, stated that engineering department head Sherif Hammad "insisted that the filming should stop and that we would be reimbursed ... explaining that he was not able to guarantee the protection of the materials or the artists."
According to the 2014 Webometrics World Universities rankings (aimed to promote Web publication, not to rank institutions), Ain Shams University is ranked 12th in Egypt, 45th in Arab World and 51st in Africa.
- Prof. Farouk El-Baz is an Egyptian American scientist who worked with NASA to assist in the planning of scientific exploration of the Moon.
- Prof. Mostafa El-Sayed an Egyptian-American chemical physicist, a leading nanoscience researcher, a member of the National Academy of Sciences and a US National Medal of Science laureate.
- Prof. Kamilia Abdelfattah Professor of psychology and founder, first head and moderator of the childhood high institute of post graduates ( Ain shams univ.) and the childhood center (Cairo univ.).
- Prof Samy Azer, an Egyptian-Australian, Professor of Medical Education and an eminent international leader in Medical Education and Problem-Based Learning in Australia, Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan, and the USA *Biography. Who's Who in America.
- Prof. Dr. Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu graduated from faculty of Science in 1966 (born 1943 in Cairo) is a Turkish science historian and currently the Secretary-General of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the second largest public international organisation after the United Nations.
- Tarek Heggy is an Egyptian liberal political thinker and international petroleum strategist.
- Fadel Soliman, is the director of Bridges Foundation, an international organization aiming to Bridge the gap between Muslims and non Muslims. He has graduated from Faculty of Engineering, Department of Communication and Electronics at Ain Shams University.
- Ali Gomaa the Grand Mufti of Egypt currently. He graduated from faculty of Commerce in 1973.
- Mohammed Mahdi Akef is the head of the Muslim Brotherhood. He graduated from the Faculty of Law Ain Shams University.
- Ammar el-Shereay the blind composer, graduated from the faculty of arts (English section) in 1970. He died in December 2012.
- Awatef Serag Eldin the social activist and head of Garden city lions club. Graduated from faculty of Arts.
- Sayed Shehata Giza governorate governor. Graduated from faculty of engineering in 1967.
- Dr Abdel-Moniem El-Ganayni is an Egyptian-born American nuclear physicist as senior scientist at Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory. He obtained his Bachelors of Science in Physics from Ain Shams University Faculty of Science in 1973.
- Ahmed Al-Azayda the Jordonian politician, graduated from faculty of engineering in 1973.
- Younan Labib Rizk the historian, journalist and writer. He graduated on 1955 from the faculty of arts.
- Prof Ahmed Okasha, President of the Egyptian Psychiatric Association and President of World Psychiatric Association (WPA) from 2002 through 2005
- Prof Ahmed Sami Khalifa, pediatric hematologist who was given the National Encouragement Award in Medical Sciences in 1982, and the National Recognition Award in Advanced Technological Sciences in 1998.
- Prof Paul Ghalioungui, internist and medical history writer (Arabic and Pharonic)
- Prof Abdel Moniem Ashour, psychogeriatrician, one of the founders of the International Psychogeriatrics Association (IPA), writer and founder of the Al-Zehimer Egypt Association.
- Prof Hamdy El-Sayed, head of Parliament's Health Committee and Chairman of the Egyptian Doctors' Syndicate
- Prof Mohammed Awad Tagg Eldin, respiratory disease professor and former Minister of Health
- Prof Maher Mahran, obstetrician, former Minister for Population and Family Welfare, and former Secretary General of the National Population Council of Egypt
- Rafik Habib (born 1959), Christian (Coptic) Egyptian researcher, activist, author, and politician.
- Prof Fawzia Fahim, biochemist researcher on anti-tumor activity of venoms and iodoacetate.
- Prof Abdel-Wahed El-Wakil, architect often hailed as the foremost contemporary authority in Islamic architecture.
- Alwi Shihab, the Indonesia's Presidential envoy to the Middle-East
- His Excellency Sameh Shoukry, Egypt's Ambassador to the United States
- Abeer Hamza, lecturer of Arabic at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Eng. Eman Abdel Ghaffar, studied engineering at the university
- Yasser Abdel Hafez, novelist and journalist with Akhbar Al-Adab, studied Law at the university.
- Bola A Ayoub, inspiring young scientist & creative Chemistry teacher for Pharmacy Students.
- Ain Shams University History
- Ain Shams University Statistics
- Ain Shams University Main Campus Map
- "Islamists halt filming of Egyptian TV series." Daily News Egypt. Thursday, February 9, 2012. NewsBank Record Number: 17587021. "[...]and teachers were against it, because of the clothing worn by the actresses," he said. The series, adapted from the novel "Zaat" by Egyptian author Sonallah Ibrahim, takes[...]"
- Marquis Who's Who Publishing. New Providence, NJ. Volume 1 A-K, 57th Edition, 2003, page 196, [Who's Who in the World]. Marquis Who's Who Publishing. New Providence, 15th Edition, 1998, page 76, Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare (4th ed.). Marquis Who's Who. 1999. p. 52. Retrieved April 14, 2010.
- Arabic Wikipedia page عمار الشريعي
- Arabic Wikipedia page عواطف سراج الدين
- Arabic Wikipedia Page سيد عبد العزيز السيد شحاتة
- Arabic Wikipedia page أحمد الأزايدة
- Ahmed Okasha from Psychiatric News
- Ahmed Okasha from World Psychiatric Association
- Prof Ahmed Sani Khalifa
- Poul Gholiongy books
- Paul Gheliongy in Arabic Encyclopedia
- IPA creation
- IPA Growth
- Hamdy Al Sayed
- Mubarak return
- Maher Mahran talk
- A study
- Maher Mahran Statement on Egypt Population
- Pegasus News "His Excellency Sameh Shoukry - Ambassador of Egypt to the United States" (February 26, 2009) (Retrieved July 7, 2010).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ain Shams University.|