- Not to be confused with the unaccredited online institution of the same name operating in Nevada, USA.
|President||Prof. Dr. Osama Ibrahim|
|Former names||Farouk I University (1938–1952)|
Alexandria University (Arabic: جامعة الإسكندرية) is a public research university in Alexandria, Egypt. It was established in 1938 as a satellite of Fuad University (the name of which was later changed to Cairo University), becoming an independent entity in 1942. It was known as Farouk University until the Egyptian Revolution of 1952 when its name was changed to the University of Alexandria. Taha Hussein was the founding rector of Alexandria University. It is now the second largest university in Egypt and has many affiliations to various universities for ongoing research.
At the time it became an independent institution in 1942, it had the following faculties:
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Medicine (1942)
- Faculty of Arts (1938)
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Engineering (1941)
- Faculty of Law (1938)
- Faculty of Science
A number of institutional entities were established as follows:
- Faculty of Sports Education (1955)
- Faculty of Nursing (formerly the High Institute of Nursing) (1954)
- Faculty of Pharmacy (1956)
- High Institute of Public Health (1963)
- Faculty of Education (1969)
- Faculty of Dentistry: founded in 1971 and serves the city of Alexandria. It is located in El Azareta near the famous Alexandria Library.
- Medical Research Institute (1971)
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (1974)
- Institute of Graduate Studies & Research (1983)
- Faculty of Tourism and Hotels (1983)
- Faculty of Finearts
- Faculty of Kindergarten
In 1989, four faculties, located in Alexandria and administered by Helwan University, were annexed to Alexandria University. These are the faculties of Agriculture, Fine Arts, Physical Education for Boys and Physical Education for Girls.
Notable Alumni & Faculty
- Ahmed Zewail (Faculty of Science, 1967) - Noble Prize in Chemistry 1999.
- Mohammed Aboul-Fotouh Hassab (1913-2000) - Professor of gastro-intestinal surgery; creator of surgical procedure known as Hassab's decongestion operation
- Mohamed Hashish (Faculty of Engineering) Research scientist best known as the father of the abrasive water jet cutter.
- Yahya El Mashad (Faculty of Engineering, 1952) Egyptian nuclear physicist.
- Abdel-Wahab El-Messiri (Faculty of the Arts, 1959) - Coordinator of anti-Mubarak movement Kefaya (2007-2008);
- Tawfiq Saleh (English literature, 1949) - Film director
University Leadership for academic year 2012/ 2013
- Prof. Dr. Osama Ibrahim Al-Sayed Ahmad .
- Education & Student Affairs: Prof. Rouchdy Zahran
- Community Service and Environment Development: Prof. Mahmoud El Khishen
- Graduate Studies and Research: Prof. Seddik Abdelsalam Tawfik Abdelrahman
Prof. Dr. Osama Ibrahim Al-Sayed Ahmad have been elected President of Alexandria University in December 2011 . This was the first time in Egypt to have presidency elections .
Alexandria University was ranked 147th world wide based on Times Higher Education's World University Rankings 2010-2011. Alexandria University is ranked 301+ world wide based on Times Higher Education's World University Rankings 2011-2012. Alexandria University is ranked 601+ world wide based on QS World University Rankings 2011/12.
Also, according to webometrics Ranking of World Universities it comes 5882nd world wide and 2nd in Egypt.
- Educational institutions in Alexandria
- Education in Egypt
- Egyptian universities
- List of Egyptian universities
- "The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1999". Nobelprize.org. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- "Egyptian renowned film director Tawfiq Saleh dies at 87". Al-Ahram. 2013-08-18. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "World University Rankings 2010-2011". Timeshighereducation.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- "World University Rankings 2011-2012". Timeshighereducation.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- [dead link]
- Alexandria University official website
- Alexandria University official Portal
- Human Rights Watch: The Repression of Academic Freedom in Egyptian Universities