Maseno University is a university based in Maseno, near Kisumu, in Kenya and was founded in 1991. It is one of the seven public universities in Kenya. Currently,Maseno University is ranked as the second best university in Kenya.It has over ten thousand students pursuing various programs offered in the University's campuses.The university is in Maseno Township along Kisumu-Busia road, some 25 km from Kisumu City and 400 km west of Nairobi. It has two campuses: the Kisumu and the main campus. The main campus is along Kisumu-Busia road, while the Kisumu campus is located in Kisumu City.
The name "Maseno" was coined by Rev. J.J. Willis out of the name of a tree known in local dialects as "Oseno" or "Oluseno" that stood next to the spot where the first missionaries in the region erected their base.
Faculties and schools
The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate programs in disciplines at the following faculties and schools:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Science
- School of Public Health and Community Development
- School of Environment and Earth Sciences
- School of Development and Strategic Studies
- School of Graduate Studies
- School of Business and Economics
- School of Medicine
- School of Agriculture and Food Security
- School of Mathematics and Actuarial Science
- School of Computing and Informatics
It is a fully government accredited university, enacted by an Act of Parliament in 1991. In 2000 Maseno University was enacted to be a fully fledged university. At the December 2008 graduation ceremony, H.E. the President of Kenya, Hon. Mwai Kibaki, appointed Professor Frida Karani, PhD, as the second chancellor, after the expiry of the tenure of William Wamalwa. The new chancellor was honoured by Maseno University, receiving the Doctor of Education honoris causa before presiding over the ninth graduation ceremony on 17 December 2009.
Students Organization of Maseno University(2013/2014)
The Student Organization of Maseno University (SOMU) is the official students governing body. The organization is viewed as on of the best student guilds in the country for their stand on always protecting and fighting for the rights of their members. The SOMU positions are elective and the current elected officials are:
- President - Charles auma Okusimba
- Vice President - Okwara Francis Mukhwana
- Secretary General - Felix Syomane
- Deputy Secretary Genral - David Mwangi
- Finance Secretary - Rachael Kerubo
- Organizing Secretary - Dorcus Anyango
- Director Academics - Alfred Makotsi
- Director Health and Catering - Jusper Okumu
- Director Sports and Games - Kibet Rotich Cornelius
- Director Entertainment - vacant
- Director Security and Accommodation - Ajowi Alex
- Editor of The Students Publication - Achiego James
- Rep School of Computing - Martin Cornel
Kisumu Hotel is a property that was acquired by the university in 2004. The bed space has doubled from the original 40 to 80 rooms. The hotel has enabled the university to offer one of the best training programs in Eco-tourism, Hotel and Institution Management.
Notes and references
- "MASENO UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCEMENT". Masno University. 2011-03-04. Retrieved 2011-03-23.