||This article may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples. (March 2010)|
|Divisors||1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 48|
48 is in abundance having an aliquot sum of 76. It is the lowest composite number to fall into the 41-aliquot tree having the 7 aliquot number sequence,(48, 76, 64, 63, 41, 1, 0). 48 is highly abundant with an aliquot sum 158% higher than itself.
48 is the smallest number with exactly ten divisors.
Since the greatest prime factor of 482 + 1 = 2305 is 461, which is clearly more than 48 twice, 48 is a Størmer number.
48 is in base 10 a Harshad number. It has 24, 2, 12, and 4 as factors.
48 is a Narcissistic number (but subtracted instead of added) as: |42 - 82| = 48
- Messier object M48, a magnitude 5.5 open cluster in the constellation Hydra
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 48, a barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Andromeda
- The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began on -1331 February 8 and ended on -15 April 9. The duration of Saros series 48 was 1316.2 years, and it contained 74 solar eclipses.
- The Saros number of the lunar eclipse series which began on -1246 July 11 and ended on 124 October. The duration of Saros series 48 was 1370.3 years, and it contained 77 lunar eclipses.
- The prophecies of 48 Jewish prophets and 7 prophetesses  were recorded in the Tanakh for posterity
- According to the Mishnah, Torah wisdom is acquired via 48 ways (Pirkei Avoth 6:6)
- Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, sat under a bodhi tree for 48 days attempting to understand the nature of reality and Universe. Buddhism was the result.
- 48 is twice the total number of major and minor keys in Western tonal music (twenty-four), not counting enharmonic equivalents. Johann Sebastian Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier is informally known as The Forty-Eight because it consists of a prelude and a fugue in each major and minor key, for a total of forty-eight pieces.
- 48 is a song by Sunny Day Real Estate
- 48 Hour Parole is a song by the Hollies
- 48 Crash is a song by Suzi Quatro
- Formerly known as Bonehead, Familiar 48 is an alternative pop/rock band
- The jam band Phish has 48 albums to date.
- On the band tool’s album, Ænima, there is a song named Forty-Six & 2; the sum of which is 48.
- AKB48 is the name of a Japanese pop idol group that, by the thoughts of many peoples, it consists of approximately 48 members. In fact, the idol group consists more than 48 members.
- 48 is a song by Tyler, The Creator
- Forty eight is a song by Truckfighters off their 2007 album Phi
- 48 is the number of a NASCAR car owned by Hendrick Motorsports. It is currently being driven by six-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson.
- 48 is the retired number of former USA President Gerald Ford's jersey at the University of Michigan.
- 48 is the number Daniel Briere uses for the Philadelphia Flyers
- 48 is the total number of minutes in a full NBA game.
In other fields
Forty-eight may also refer to:
- the code for international direct dial phone calls to Poland
- the model number of the HP-48 S/SX/G/GX/G+/GII
- the 48 Hour Film Project
- The First 48, an American crime program, 2004-present
- 48 Hours is a television news program on CBS
- 48 Hrs., a 1982 film starring Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy, followed by Another 48 Hrs.
- Arizona is the 48th state in the Union
- The 48 United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) are also referred to as the "Lower 48" or the "48 contiguous states"
- '48 is an alternate history novel by James Herbert
- The 48 Laws of Power is a book by Robert Greene
- The number 48 in ASCII is what you add to any single digit integer to convert to its ASCII value
- MAC address uses 48-bit (6-byte)
- The number of the French department Lozère
- a model of Harley-Davidson in the Sportster line