Gadot at the 2014 San Diego Comic-Con International
|Native name||גל גדות|
April 30, 1985 |
Rosh HaAyin, Israel
|Residence||Neve Tzedek, Tel Aviv, Israel|
|Occupation||Actress, fashion model|
|Height||178 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Spouse(s)||Yaron Varsano (m. 2008)|
Gal Gadot (/ /; Hebrew: גל גדות; born 30 April 1985) is an Israeli actress and fashion model. She won the Miss Israel title in 2004 and went on to represent Israel at the 2004 Miss Universe beauty pageant. She is the leading fashion model for the clothing company Castro. Gadot is known for her role as Gisele Yashar in The Fast and the Furious film series. On December 4, 2013, Warner Bros. revealed that Gadot was cast in the role of Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice starring Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill in the titular roles.
Gadot was born and grew up in Rosh HaAyin, Israel. Her parents are Israeli-born, and her ancestors were Jewish immigrants from Europe (she has described her family background as "1/4 Polish, 1/4 Austrian, 1/4 German, and 1/4 Czech"). She has stated that she was brought up in a "very Jewish, Israeli family environment". She served for two years as a soldier in the Israel Defense Forces. She is an avid motorcycle rider and owns a black 2006 Ducati Monster-S2R. She also plays in volleyball, basketball and tennis teams. While starring in the Fast & Furious films, she does all her own stunts. She says "I think the main reason was that Justin Lin really liked that I was in the military, and he wanted to use my knowledge of weapons."
Of her role in the Fast & Furious films, she says: "There aren’t enough good roles for strong women. I wish we had more female writers. Most of the female characters you see in films today are ‘the poor heartbroken girl.’ That’s why I’m so proud of the Fast movies. I feel like Giselle is an empowering woman."
Gadot married her boyfriend, Israeli businessman Yaron Varsano during the filming of Fast & Furious, on September 28, 2008. The couple own a hotel in the Neve Tzedek district of Tel Aviv. In November 2011, Gadot and Varsano had a baby girl, Alma.
In Hebrew, her first name means "wave" and her surname means "riverbanks" or "shores".
Since 2008, Gadot has been a leading model for Castro (whose fashion shows she also hosts). She has also led international campaigns for Captain Morgan rum, and Vine Vera skincare ranges, and advertised Jaguar Cars. She has featured as the covergirl on Cosmopolitan, Bride Magazine, FHM. In 2013, her annual modelling salary was estimated to be in the millions of shekels, ahead of Esti Ginzburg, Liraz Dror and Shiloh Malka (who campaigns for Ralph Lauren), although significantly behind Bar Refaeli.
At the age of 19, she attended and won the 2004 Miss Israel competition. After winning, she travelled to Ecuador to compete in the Miss Universe pageant. She did not place in the top 15. At the age of 19, Gadot joined the Israeli Army. Throughout her two-year service term in the Israel Defense Forces, she also worked as model. She subsequently started at university, studying law, until she was called to audition for the part of Bond girl Camille Montes in the film Quantum of Solace, as a result of which the casting directors instead hired her for Fast & Furious.
In 2007, she took a part in the Maxim photo shoot "Women of the Israeli army," which focused on Israeli models who served in the IDF. Gadot's photo was on the invitation to the launch party, and she featured on the cover of the New York Post. In April 2012, Shalom Life ranked her Number 5 on its list of “the 50 most talented, intelligent, funny, and gorgeous Jewish women in the world.", behind model Bar Refaeli and actress Eva Green.
In 2008, Gadot starred in the Israeli drama Bubot. She appeared as Gisele Yashar in Fast & Furious, the fourth film in The Fast & the Furious franchise, having won the role over six other actresses. In 2010, she had a small role in the action-adventure Knight and Day. Earlier that year, she appeared in the film Date Night as Natanya, the girlfriend of Mark Wahlberg's character. 2011 brought her back to The Fast & the Furious franchise, reprising her role as Gisele in Fast Five. In 2013, Gadot played Gisele again in Fast & Furious 6, where her character is killed off. In December 2013, DC Entertainment announced that Gadot has been cast as Wonder Woman in the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and is signed for future sequels which includes Justice League and a solo Wonder Woman film.
|2004||Miss Israel 2004||Gal Gadot||Winner|
|2004||Miss Universe 2004||Miss Israel||Participant|
|2009||Fast & Furious||Gisele Yashar|
|2010||Knight and Day||Naomi|
|2011||Fast Five||Gisele Yashar|
|2013||Fast & Furious 6||Gisele Yashar|
|2014||Kicking Out Shoshana||Mirit|
|2016||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Diana Prince/Wonder Woman||Post-production|
|2007||Bubot||Miriam "Merry" Elkayam|
|2009||Entourage||Lisa||Episode: "Amongst Friends"|
|2009||The Beautiful Life||Olivia||Episodes: "The Beautiful Aftermath"
"The Beautiful Lie"
"The Beautiful Triangle"
|2012||Eretz Nehederet||Herself||Episode: "Season 9, Episode 7"|
- Israeli fashion
- List of actors who have played comic book characters
- Women in the Israel Defense Forces
- גל גדות
- Fleming, Mike (2013-12-04). "Emerging Star Gal Gadot Set For Wonder Woman In 'Batman Vs. Superman'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Gal Gadot to Play Wonder Woman in ‘Batman vs. Superman’". Variety. 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "Chatting With 'Fast Five' Star Gal Gadot". The Forward. May 2, 2011. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- Chatting With 'Fast Five' Star Gal Gadot By Curt Schleier, May 2, 2011
- "Entertainment | Features And Reviews". TotallyJewish.com. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- Profile: Wonder Woman Gal Gadot is a model, army girl and Fast & Furious star by Jess Denham, Thursday 05 December 2013, The Independent
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: Israeli badass takes on the boys in ‘Batman vs. Superman’ by Simone Wilson, December 4, 2013
- Q&A: Gal Gadot By Stndrd Magazine, 2013/11/04
- "Yaron Varsano & Wonder Woman Wife". December 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Halutz, Avshalom (December 6, 2013). "Who is Gal Gadot, Hollywood's next Wonder Woman?". Haaretz. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- Israeli fashion retailer torn between daring spirit and need to please the masses, Haaretz
- הדוגמניות המרוויחות ביותר בישראל Forbes Israel, June 2013
- "UMM.COM - Urban Male Magazine". Umm.ca. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Ashley Baylen (April 12, 2012). "Top 50 Hottest Jewish Women (10–1) – Page2". Shalom Life. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Gal Gadot on Fans, Motherhood and 'Fast & Furious 6' By Jspace Staff on 5/24/2013, jspace.com
- "IGN: New Furious Babe". IGN. Newscorp. March 4, 2008. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- "Gal Gadot: Too fast too furious?". Israelenews.com. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- "JUF : Teens : Celebrities : Gal Gadot". JUF. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- L.A.Times HeroComplex:Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman: Comics world reacts on Twitter
- Begley, Chris. "Gal Gadot signed a 3 movie deal as Wonder Woman (video)". Batman News. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Kroll, Justin. "‘Wonder Woman’ Gal Gadot Signs Three-Picture Deal with Warner Bros.". Variety. Retrieved 2014-01-23.