|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (February 2015)|
|Part of a series on|
|Angels and demons|
|Scripture and worship|
|Accounts and legends|
|History and culture|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
The Irani are an ethno-religious community in South Asia; they belong to the Zoroastrians who emigrated from Iran to South Asia in the 19th century. They are culturally, linguistically and socially distinct from the Parsis, who – although also Zoroastrians – emigrated to the Indian subcontinent from Greater Iran many centuries before the Iranis did.
Distinction from Parsis
The Parsis and Iranis may also be considered legally distinct. This is based in part on a 1909 obiter dictum that, among many other issues relating to the Indian Zoroastrians, also observed that Iranis (of the now defunct Bombay Presidency) were not obliged to uphold the decisions of the then regulatory Parsi Panchayat.
Although the term 'Irani' is first attested during the Mughal era, most Iranis are immigrants who arrived on the subcontinent also during the 19th and early 20th centuries, that is, when Iran was ruled by the Qajars and when religious persecution of non-Muslims was rampant. The descendants of the immigrants of those times remain culturally and linguistically closer to the Zoroastrians of Iran, in particular to the Zoroastrians of Yazd and Kerman. Consequently, the Dari dialect of the Zoroastrians of those provinces may also be heard amongst the Iranis.
Irani is generic surname for the community, though there are others surnames, depending on the hometown like Kermani, Yezdani, Khosravi, Faroodi, and Jafrabadi.
Notable members of the Irani community include:
- Danesh Irani, Indian Actor par-excellence from Tardeo
- Anosh Irani, Indian-Canadian novelist
- Aruna Irani, Bollywood actress
- Ardeshir Irani, director of the first Indian sound film, Alam Ara
- Bakhtiyaar Irani, TV Actor
- Boman Irani, film and actor
- Daisy Irani, Bollywood child actress of the 50's and 60's
- Delnaaz Irani, Bollywood actress
- Dinshah Irani, Zoroastrian leader who provided aid to the Zoroastrian community of Iran.
- Faredoon Irani, Indian cinematographer
- Sanaya Irani, Actress
- Honey Irani, Screenwriter (Krrish)
- Jenni Irani (Jamshed Khudadad Irani), cricketer
- Kaikhosrov D. Irani philosopher
- Meher Baba (Merwan Sheriar Irani), mystic
- Nariman Irani (d. 1977), cinematographer
- Ronnie Irani, cricketer
- FK Irani, Industrialist & founder of Ideal Jawa
- Raian Irani , Industrialist & Former President of the Indian Golf Union
- Tanaaz Irani, Actress
- Zubin Irani, Industrialist and husband of Smriti Irani (Minister for HRD, India).
- Masashi, Haneda,. "Emigration of Iranian Elites to India during the 16-18th centuries". Retrieved 2013-12-17.
|This Zoroastrianism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|