Old Godavari Bridge
|Old Godavari Bridge|
|Official name||The Havelock Bridge|
|Other name(s)||Old Godavari Bridge|
|Total length||2.7 kilometres (1.7 mi)|
|Design life||100 years|
|Construction begin||November 11, 1897|
|Opened||August 30, 1900|
|Followed by||Godavari Arch Bridge|
The Old Godavari Bridge or The Havelock Bridge is a decommissioned bridge that spans the Godavari River in Andhra Pradesh, India. Commissioned in 1900, the bridge served trains plying between Howrah and Madras. It is the earliest of three bridges that span the Godavari River at Rajahmundry. The Godavari Arch Bridge was later constructed as a replacement for the Havelock Bridge. The bridge along with the Godavari bridge and Godavari Arch Bridge is one of the most recognised symbols of Rajahmundry.
The construction of the bridge commenced on November 11, 1897 and opened for traffic on August 30, 1900. The Bridge was named after Sir Arthur Elibank Havelock, the then Governor of Madras. Frederick Thomas Granville Walton served as the Engineer-in-chief assisted by executive engineers R.A.Delanougerede, F.D.Couchman, J.E.Eaglesome.
The bridge was constructed with stone masonry and steel girders. It has 56 spans each of 45.7 metres (150 ft)and is 2,754 metres (9,035 ft) long. The rail bridge served the busy Howrah-Chennai line until its decommissioning.
Having served its full life span of 100 years, it was decommissioned in 1997, and Godavari Arch Bridge was built as a replacement for the bridge. Today, the bridge is being used to host civic water supply pipelines.
After being planned to be converted into a national monument, historic monument now its finally planned to be converted into a tourist spot, as a pedestrian pathway. The Municipal Corporation of Rajahmundry passed a resolution expressing willingness to take up the beautification project. With the Railways Ministry not coming forward for implementation of the project, Former Member of Parliament Vundavalli Aruna Kumar has appealed to the Railways Ministry for the approval of the project. The beautification project is yet to commence.
- Address Resolution Protocol Earthling . "Godavari River". En.academic.ru. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- R.R.Bhandari. "Bridges: The Spectacular Feat of Indian Engineering". Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- Khan, Mukram. "The Havelock Bridge Meorial Stone | Flickr - Photo Sharing!". Flickr. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Havelock Bridge to be a national monument". The Hindu. 2007-07-26. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Rajahmundry Municipal Corporation". Rajahmundrycorporation.org. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Rajahmundry News : Havelock bridge to be developed into tourist spot". The Hindu. 2008-12-18. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "NATIONAL / ANDHRA PRADESH : Fate of Havelock bridge hangs in balance". The Hindu. 2009-03-16. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "Andhra Pradesh / Rajahmundry News : MP's plea on Havelock Bridge". The Hindu. 2010-04-24. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "MATTERS UNDER RULE-377: Need To Develop Old Godavari Bridge, Known As ... on 22 April, 2010". Indiankanoon.org. 2010-04-22. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Godavari Bridge.|