|Nickname(s): The City of "Sanskrit" poets, City of Gurudwaras|
|Named for||Sachkhand Gurudwara|
|• Type||Nanded-Waghala Municipal Corporation|
|• Total||119.80 km2 (46.26 sq mi)|
|Elevation||362 m (1,188 ft)|
|• Total||550,564 (2,011), 6,55,451(2,015 Estm.)|
|• Rank||79th (India), 8th (Maharashtra)|
|• Density||4,595/km2 (11,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||MH 26|
Nanded is the second largest city in the Marathwada Division of Maharashtra, India, and the headquarters of Nanded district. Nanded is of great historical significance for Sikhs, and it has many Sufi shrines as well. The city is situated on the bank of the Godavari.
- 1 History
- 2 Roots of Sikhism in Nanded
- 3 Geography
- 4 Demographics
- 5 Civic Administration
- 6 Transport
- 7 Industries and Economy
- 8 Hotels & Shopping Malls
- 9 University
- 10 Education
- 11 Agriculture
- 12 Sports
- 13 Tourism
- 14 Notable people
- 15 Gallery
- 16 See also
- 17 References
One of the oldest and historic cities in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra, Nanded is situated on the north bank of the Godavari River. The Nanda dynasty ruled over Nanded for generations in the 5th and 4th centuries BCE. Nanded was also part of the Maurya Empire under Ashoka (c. 272 to 231 BCE). Nanded District is located in the southeastern part of Maharashtra, Bordering Telangana. The name Nanded is widely believed to have originated from "NANDI" the Vahan of Lord Shiva, who performed penance on the banks (TAT) of River Godavari. This "NANDI TAT" became NANDED. Today, Nanded gains prominence from the Sikh Gurudwara which is erected at the place where Shri Guru Govindsinghji Maharaj, the last Sikh Guru, passed away in 1708.
Early mentions of Nanded and irrigation practices are found in the Leela Charitra, a treatise written about 700 years ago by Mhaimbhatta. The city was formerly known as Nanditat (Marathi: नंदितट) according to a copper plate inscription found at Vasim. Nanded District and the adjoining areas were ruled over by the Andhrabhrtyas and Satvahanas during the first century AD.
 In 1708, the year following Aurangzeb's death, Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth spiritual leader of the Sikhs, came to Nanded. He proclaimed himself the last living Guru and established the Guru Granth Sahib as the eternal Guru of Sikhism, elevating the reverence of the text to that of a living leader. Around 1835, Maharaja Ranjit Singh's oversaw the construction of a gurudwara at Nanded. Located at the site of Guru Gobind Singh's cremation, the gurudwara is part of the Hazur Sahib..
Nanded became part of the Hyderabad State in 1725 and continued to be part of the Nizam's dominions until 1948. After India gained independence in 1947, the Indian Armed Forces annexed Hyderabad and ended the rule of the Nizam in Operation Polo, making Nanded part of the new Hyderabad State. Nanded, being a Marathi speaking area, is part of Maharashtra, based on India's linguistic state formation.
Roots of Sikhism in Nanded
Nanded is associated with the first as well as the last Sikh Gurus. While Shri Guru Nanak Dev travelled through Nanded City towards south and Sri Lanka, Shir Guru Gobind Singhji spent his last few days of earthly life here. He arrived here with emperor Bhadur Shah-I towards the end of August in 1707 AD. The Mughal emperor went to Golconda, and the Shri Guru Gobind Singhji decided to stay in Nanded.
It appears that Shri Guru Gobind Singhji had followed the emperor through Rajasthan and Central Province to Deccan (South) in the hope that justice would be meted out and punishment would be given to his persecutors, murderers of his young sons and to those who executed numerous innocent Sikhs. But finding that the emperor was not interested in punishing the culprits, the Guru was disappointed and decided to part with the emperor. In the first week of October 1708 having understood that the time has come to leave the mortal attire and to depart, the Guru is reported to have taken five coins and a coconut which he placed before the Granth Sahib installing the Granth Sahib as Guru. The five coins are symbolically known as Sangat. Shri Guru Gobind Singhji and formally passed on the spiritual light of Guruship to Guru Granth Sahib. The Shabad-Guru of the Sikhs was thus immortalised.
One of the well known poem explain about the Nanded District Periphery and its cultural and historical important is given here. one of the former university student of SRTMUN Pinnalwar D.K. wrote the Marathi poem in year 2003 which is immense popular in local people. the poem best explain the District Cultural and Historical importance.
Nanded is the second largest city in Marathawada after Aurangabad. Also it is 8th largest City/Urban aggomeration in Maharshatra after Mumbai,Pune,Nagpur,Nasik,Aurangabad,Solapur and Amravati. Nanded district borders Latur district and Parbhani district to the west and Yavatmal district to the north,the district is bounded by Nizamabad, Medak and Adilabad districts of Telangana on the east.Nanded City is divided in two parts: Old Nanded (20.62 km2) on the north bank of Godavari River, and New Nanded (31.14 km2), comprising Waghala and six other newly merged villages which are situated on south of the Godavari river.The entire area is covered by the Deccan Traps lava flows of Upper Cretaceous to Lower Eocene age. The lava flows are overlain by thin alluvial deposits along the Kham and Sukhana river. The basaltic lava flows belonging to the Deccan Trap is the only major geological formation occurring in Aurangabad. The lava flows are horizontal and each flow has two distinct units. The highly weathered vesicular trap and underlying weathered jointed and fractured massive trap constitutes the main water yielding zones. The soil is mostly formed from igneous rocks and are black, medium black, shallow and calcareous types having different depths and profiles
As of the[update] 2011 census, Nanded had a population of 550,564. The municipality had a sex ratio of 924 females per 1,000 males, and 12.4% of the population were under six years old. Effective literacy was 87.40%; male literacy was 92.68% and female literacy was 81.74%. Estimated 2015 population of Nanded city is around 6,25,560. 
The city of Nanded is managed by Nanded-Waghala Municipal Corporation (NWCMC).The corporation consist of democratically elected members. The Corporation consist of 81 Members. Abdul Sattar and Anand Chavan, both from indian national congress are mayor and deputy mayor respectively.
1. National Highway 222 & National Highway 204 pass through the city.It is expected that Anandpur Sahib(Punjab)- Nanded route will be declared as National Highway from NHAI. 2. State Road Transport Bus service is available to every major city in Maharashtra, with the most frequent connectivity to Amravati, Akola, Nagpur, Hyderabad, Nizamabad, Latur, and Parbhani Solapur. There are several buses for Aurangabad, Pune, Mumbai, Kolhapur, Beed, Bidar, Gulbarga, Surat, Chandrapur, Satara. 3. A few private bus are available, mostly for Pune and also for Mumbai, Kolhapur, Nagpur, Indore and Hyderabad.
Nanded is one of the division of South Central Railways. It has very good railway connectivity. Nanded Railway Station is known as Huzur Sahib Nanded. Huzur Sahib Nanded is part of the South Central Railway network and is connected to most major Indian cities. It is served by 23 pairs of trains every day with daily (or multiple daily) connections to Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Amrawati, Manmad, Aurangabad, Jalna, Parbhani, Akola, Purna, Igatpuri, Kalyan, Thane, Pandharpur, Daund, Bhusawal and other smaller towns in Maharashtra. There are also multiple weekly connections to Kolhapur and Sangli.
Beyond Maharashtra, Nanded is connected by daily (or multiple daily) trains to New Delhi, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Amritsar, Bhopal, Jhansi, Gwalior, Agra, Faridabad, Ambala, Ludhiana and Jalandhar, as well as to towns like Yadgir, Bidar and Raichur in Karnataka, Anantapur in Andhra Pradesh and Nizamabad in Telangana.
Weekly or multiple weekly train services connect Nanded to other major cities such as Kolkata, Chennai, Patna, Jaipur, Sriganganagar, Ajmer, Kota, Indore, Jabalpur, Vishakhapatnam, Vijayawada, Tirupati, Raipur, Bilaspur, Sambalpur, Rourkela, Madurai, Rameshwaram, Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Surat, Rajkot, Jamnagar, Varanasi, Allahabad, Dhanbad and several other towns along the way.
Nanded's airport, the Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Airport is typically served by regularly scheduled seasonal flights to Mumbai and Delhi during the winter months. The airport also has a 'Night Landing Facility'.The city of Nanded is home to the famous Sachkhand Gurudwara and 13 others, visited by pilgrims from all over the world. Providing a gateway to Marathwada region is the “Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Airport” at Nanded.Located amidst a serene environment, the facilities on offer at the airport are on par with international standards. The spacious terminal building has a capacity of handling 300 passengers at peak hour.Aviation Regulator, DGCA (Director General of Civil Aviation) awarded Provisional Aerodrome License to Nanded Airport in Public use Category on 5 April 2010 and Permanent License on 1 October 2010.The Airport currently provides air connectivity to major metro cities viz, Delhi, Mumbai, and Nagpur via 12 flights a week of GoAir (Airbus A-320) throughout the year.The Airport facilities includes : Aircraft fueling, Night Landing with Navigational Aids,Aircraft Parking CAT VII Airport Fire Fighting & Rescue Service A well equipped terminal building with. VIP Lounges: Departure and Arrival Lounges,Transit Suites & Snooze Cabins,Visitors Waiting Area,Cafeteria
Industries and Economy
The city had three textile manufacturing unit but now closed.Nanded is gradually becoming industrial city as few new industries starting their operations.Tourism is another source of revenue with about ten million visitors or devotee visits the city per year. Nanded and Aurangabad are two regional big cities located at two extreme sides of Marathwada, there has been constant demand for creation of new industrial zone named Nanded Aurangabad Industrial Corridor which will connect to Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor. Out of 196 Special Economic Zones of Maharashtra only 10 are in Marathwada. Nanded Aurangabad Industrial Corridor have potential to transform entire Marathwada into a industrial hub.
- Jai Carporation Ltd, MIDC Nanded
- Flamingo Pharmaceuticals, MIDC Krooshnoor NANDED
- Kohinoor Feeds & Fats, MIDC Nanded
- Sai Smaran Foods Ltd, MIDC Nanded
- Maharashtra Krushi & Udyog Vikas Mahamandal, MIDC Nanded
- Godavari Drugs Ltd, MIDC Nanded
- XL Telecom & Energies Ltd, MIDC Nanded
- Tata Chemical Ltd, MIDC Nanded
Beside these major industries Nanded MIDC have few SME industries
Nanded have good banking network. Nanded is regional headquarter of State Bank of Hyderabad. In the first decade of the twenty-first century, Nanded has seen a spurt in financial activities, with almost all public sector and private banks have opened up branches including the State Bank of India, Union Bank of India, State Bank of Hyderabad, Bank of Maharashtra, City Bank, ICICI Bank, Bank of India, HDFC Bank, etc. Regional Rural Bank viz. Maharashtra Gramin Bank had its regional head office in Nanded city but now it is shifted to Aurangabad.
Hotels & Shopping Malls
There are a few good Hotels in Nanded. Hotel City pride on airport road is 3 star hotel in Nanded .One more 3 star brand(VITS) are set to open here soon. Other quality hotels in city are Hotel Bajaj Residency,Hotel TAJ PATIL, Hotel Anuradha Palace & Hotel Chandrlok, Hotel Atithi. City of Nanded have various fun places, Nanded have shopping mall in named Treasure Bazar along with several multiplex cinema houses such as PVR Talkies etc. New D-mart shopping mall is opened in this month (Mar 2015). New E-square Bharat Multiplex ,Thatbat thali hotel (Famous hotel from Aurangabad), Macdonald's Outlet is under construction. Being a tourist place have several high quality hotels along with three star hotels.
Real estate in Nanded is booming in recent years with large number of high rise apartments and commercial complex are being under construction, as the city is quickly spreading along its peripheral area the real estate industry is booming fast
The Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University was established at Nanded by bi-furcating the Marathwada University, Aurangabad on 17 September 1994, the day on which in 1948 Hyderabad State was liberated from rule of the Nizam. Nanded is a district headquarters as well as a holy city situated on the banks of Godavari River in southeastern part of Maharashtra state.
The University has been named after Swami Ramanand Teerth the Doyen of the Hyderabad Liberation Struggle and also a renowned educationalist and social activist. The University is to cater for southern part of Marathwada Region of Maharashtra State, specifically to the districts of Nanded, Latur, Parbhani and Hingoli.The University Establishment Committee had visualized a region specific University with non conventional courses with a School system for Campus teaching to initiate and promote interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary studies. The university has redesigned its syllabi and courses in order to generate the human resource for the regional development. The courses are characterized by innovative ways in teaching, learning and evaluation with emphasis on the aspects of research, consultancy and extension services.In the short time of operation the University has been granted recognition by the University Grants Commission (UGC), the apex educational body of Government of India, under 2(f) in March 1995 and under 12 (B) in May 1998, before completion of five years.It has been re-accredited by NAAC in 2015
with A grade.
Nanded is is famous for its educational facilities and, with its 131 colleges with Nanded University, is known as a Educational Hub in Marathwada. Many of the students at the colleges and the University are from nearby districts.
Well known Colleges in Nanded -
- Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology, Nanded
- Dr. Shankarrao Chavan Govt. Medical College
- Government Ayurvedic(BAMS) College,Nanded
- Nanded Rural Dental College & Research Center,Pangri,Nanded
- Yeshwant Mahavidhyalaya
- Nanded Pharmacy College
- ITM College
- Matoshri Pratishthan COE
- Government College of Education, Nanded
- Madeena-Tul-Uloom College.
- Netaji SubhashChandraa Bose College (NSB)
- Rajiv Gandhi College [RGC]
- N.E.S. Science College,Nanded
- Vasantrao Naik College, Vasarni, Nanded
- M.G.M. College of Fine Arts, Air Port Road, Nanded
- Nanded Pharmacy College, Shyam Nagar
- S.S.B.'S Institute of Technology & Management, V.I.P Road, Nanded
- Indira Gandhi Senior College, Cidco, Nanded
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Computer Sci.& Management, Vidhout Nagar, Nanded
- M.G.M. College of Library & Information Science, Nanded
- M.G.M. College of Mass Communication & Journalisam, Nanded
- Marathwada Institute of Computer Science, Manik Nagar, Taroda, Nanded
- Mayur B.S.S.S's Mayur College of Information Technology & Management, Anand Nagar, Nanded
- Late Laxmanraoji InformationTechnology College, Manik Nagar, Nanded
- Vasant Kale College of Computational & Management, Vishnupuri, Nanded
- College of Computer Science & I.T., Nanded
- Mahatma Gandhi College of Architecture, Pokharni, Nanded
- Vishvbharti Mahavidyalaya, Cidco, Nanded
- Indira Insti of Management, Vishnupuri, Nanded
- Information Technology College, Godavari Complex, Nanded
- Matoshri Pratishthan's School of Management, Jijau Nagar, Khupsarwadi,Nanded
- Indira College of Pharmacy, Vishnupuri, Nanded
- Nandigram Institute of Management Studies, Pangri Vishnupuri, Nanded
- K.R.M. Mahila Arts & Comm Mahavidyalaya, Vazirabad, Nanded
- Narayan Rao Chava Law College, Visava Nagar, Nanded
- Sharda Bhavan Education Society's College of Education, V.I.P. Road, Nanded.
- Smt. Indira Gandhi Adhyapak Mahavidyalaya, Vasarni, Nanded
- Vivek Vardhini Mahila Adhyapak Mahavidyalaya, Visava Nagar, Nanded
- Yeshwant College of Physical Education, Cidco, Nanded
- Sahyog Seva Bhavi Sanstha's College of Education Vishnupuri, Nanded
- Pradnya Pratishtan's Adhyaapak Mahavidyalaya,Purna Road, Nanded
- G.S.P.M.'s Gramin Science Vocational College, Vishnupuri, Nanded
- Sidharth College & Shikshan Parbodhani College, Tadoda, Nanded
- Sharda Bhavan Education Society's Academe of Architecture, Nanded
- Potdar College, Dhangarwadi, Latur Road, Nanded
- Raje Mahendra (Night) College, Rajshri Shaoo Nagar, Nanded
- Oxford International School
- Universal English Medium High school
- Kids Kingdom Public school
- Podar English School
- Nehru English School
- Little Flower English School
- Gnyan Mata Vidhyavihar English School
- SG English School
- Cambridge English School
- Rajrshi Shahu Vidyalaya
- Mahathma Phule High School, Nanded
- Nagarjuna Public School, Nanded
- Pratibhaniketan High School,Holi,Nanded
- Faizul-Uloom High School & Jr. College, Nanded.
- Gujrathi Highschool,Vazirabad,Nanded
- MultiPurpose High School
- Al-Suffa Urdu/English School & Jr. College, Nanded.
- Madhavrao Patil High School
Agriculture is the main occupation of the people in rural parts of the region. Cotton,Banana, Sugarcane,Mango, soybean,Sweetlime and Jawar (sorghum) are the essential crops grown in the city's nearby area. Nanded is second largest Banana producing district in the state after Jalgoan.Nanded have Regional Cotton Research Center.To support the cotton growing industry,Textile mills need to start.
Clubs, Stadiums and Sport Complexes
- Rotary Club Nanded
- Sri Guru Gobind Singh Stadium, Nanded
- State of art Badminton Indoor Hall
- Olympic (Sagare) Standard Swimming Pool
- Sport Accommodation Complex for State and National level Matches
Tennis :Total of six tennis courts are available in Nanded three at yeshwant college (one synthetic (under construction)and two clay courts. three clay courts are at nanded club.This game is becoming very popular now.Presently the players like kaivalya kalamse, Harshal bharne, swaraj deshmukh, pratik malewar are doing well at state and national level tournaments.
Nanded is one of the historical places in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra State. It is famous for Sikh Gurudwaras. Nanded is a town of great antiquity. It is said that during the Puranic days, Pandavas traveled through Nanded district. Nandas ruled over Nanded through generations. In 1708, Guru Gobind Singh the tenth spiritual leader of the Sikhs came over to Nanded, his permanent abode. It was he who preached amongst the Sikhs that there need not be any spiritual leader for them and they should take Granth Sahib as their leader. A monument has been constructed at the place where he died. A Gurdwara has also been constructed there. It is known as Hazur Sahib Nanded
- Gurudwara of Hazur Sahib Nanded: built by Maharaja Ranjit Singhji, the ruler of Punjab from 1830 to 1839 A.D. it is one of the five High seats of Authority of the Sikhs. Guru Gobind Singh died here and his remains are preserved along with various weapons.
- Nanded Fort :Situated 4 km away from the Nanded Railway Station, the Nanded Fort has a beautiful location. Sensuous Godavari River encloses the fort on three sides. There is a good garden and water works enhancing its natural beauty
- Satya Ganapati Temple - Satya Ganapati Mandir is one of the ancient temple is situated Dabhad village 9 km away from Railway station and airport. The thousands of devotees visits every Chaturti for pooja of lord Ganesha.
- TOURIST PLACES IN NANDED District.
Religious Places Other Places Sachkhand Gurudwara Mahurgad Kandhar Dargah Malegaon Yatra Masjid of Biloli Vishnupuri Dam Kandhar Fort Sahastrakund Waterfall Hottal Temple Unkeshwar Hot Springs
- TOURIST PLACES NEAR NANDED
Aundha Nagnath Parli Vaijanath Bidar Gurudwara Basar Temple Narsi Namdev Vishnupuri Dam Constructed on the river Godavari, this is one of the largest lift irrigation projects in Asia. The project is situated near Asarjan village, at about 8 k.m. from Nanded city. The project was completed in the year 1988. The back water covers 40 k.m. length of the river Godavari. Culturable Command Area of project is 23222 Hec. and Irrigable Command Area is 19514 Hec. Up till now irrigation Potential of 15856 Hec. is created.The command area of this project is distributed in Nanded, Kandhar & Loha taluka of Nanded district. Live storage of project is 80.79 Million cubic meters Out of which 43.95 Million cubic meters storage is reserved for drinking purpose for Nanded city and 10.26 Million cubic meters storage is reserved for Industrial purpose. The barrage has 18 verticalThe idea of this project was put forward and pursued by former Chief Minister of Maharashtra late Shri. Shankarrao Chavan. Hence in his remembrance the Govt. of Maharashtra has named the water reservoir as the Shankar Sagar Jalashaya. With the huge water reservoir, presence of Kaleshwar temple, Landscaping, the Ghat and the Ratneshwari hills in the surrounding the place has been attracting pilgrims and tourists. Every year on the day of Mahashivratri lacks of pilgrims assemble for the Yatra. This is one of largest lift irrigation project in Asia sub-continent located on Godavari river. This project is named as Dr. Shankarrao Chavan Vishnupuri Project.
- Guru Gobind Singh: last Sikh Guru, died in Nanded.
- Pachlegaonkar Maharaj: Rashtra Sant, Founder of Mukteshvar Dal, Hindu Rashtra Sena. Social Activist. leader of Hyderabad Liberation Struggle.
- Dhunda Maharaj Degloorkar (Famous Saint)
- Sant Dasganu Maharaj (Famous Saint)
- Vaman Pandit (Famous Poet)
- Shankarrao Bhaurao Chavan (Former Home Minister of India, Former Chief Minister of Maharashtra)
- Ashok Shankarrao Chavan (President Maharashtra Congress & Former Chief Minister of Maharashtra,MP Nanded Loksabha)
- Narhar Kurundkar, (Famous Author )
- Va.Ra.Kant (Famous Author)
- Dr.Nagnath Kothapalle (Famous Author,Ex.President AB Marathi Sahitya Samelan, Ex.Vice Chancellor, Dr.BAMU,Aurangabad )
- Kamalkishor Kadam (President, Mahatma Gandhi Mission's Education Society)
- Shabana Raza (Bollywood Actress)
Ram Manohar Lohiya (Freedom fighter)
Famous Writing about district.
1.dr. Prabhakar dev one of the well known historian of nanded, research and writes about district.
2. a marathi language famous poem discritpt the district periphery.
नंदीग्राम नंद राजाचे मूळ ,आहे तीर्थ गोदातीर वाहे पुण्य प्रवाह ,करी शुद्ध सान थोर गोदेचा तो निर्मळ पाट ,जनी उल्हासाचे घाट पुण्य स्नान पूजेसाठी ,संत चालती ही वाट
संस्कृत भाषेची महती,सांगे वामन पंडित गुरु गोबिंद येथेच ,विलीन चिरशांत शंकर सागर तो राजा, राज्य चालवले थोर जल संस्कृती पूजक, प्रजा सारी बिनघोर
सहस्रकुंड जलप्रपात ,राष्ट्रकुटांचा भुईकोट सिद्धेश्वर,हजरत ,उनकदेव,दत्तमठ विष्णूकव,दासगणू ,नेरलीचे कुष्ठधाम क्षेत्रपती परमेश्वर ,तटावरी काळेश्वर
ज्ञानतीर्थ परिसरी ज्ञान वर्षे विदयापीठ समर्थ राष्ट्रासाठी ,उभे होती इथे रठ्रृठ मुक्तीगाथा अन सवे नरहरांची गोड वाणी जन सारे गावोगावी ,गाती खंडोबाची गाणी
आदीग्रंथाचे पठण रोज करी शाीख जाट मौलवीही रोज सांगे ,चाला अल्लाह ची वाट पीठ पुर्ण रेणूकेचे ,भूमी बुद्ध बाबरीची काय वर्णावी थेारवी ,नंदीग्राम नगरीची.
one of the former university student wrote the marathi poem is appreciate everywhere.
- "Nanded District - Historical Importance". India.gov.in. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- Maharashtra State Gazetteers: Nanded. Director of Government Printing, Stationery and Publications, Maharashtra State. 1971. pp. 4, 576.
- Proceedings - Indian History Congress. Indian History Congress. 2007. p. 331.
- Guruswamy, Mohan. "Police Action". Hyderabad on the Net. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011; Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 26 March 2012.