Nanded Railway Station
|Nickname(s): The City of sanskrit poets, City of Gurudwaras|
|• Type||Nanded-Waghala Municipal Corporation|
|• city||119.80 km2 (46.26 sq mi)|
|Elevation||362 m (1,188 ft)|
|• city||650,554 (2,011)|
|• Official||Marathi, Hindi, Punjabi, English, Urdu, Telugu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||MH 26|
Nanded (Marathi: नांदेड), (Punjabi: ਨੰਦੇੜ) is the second largest city in the Marathwada Division of Maharashtra, India, and the headquarters of Nanded district. Nanded is of great historical significance for Sikhs, and it has many Sufi shrines as well. The city is situated on the bank of the Godavari,
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Civic Administration
- 5 Transport
- 6 University
- 7 Education
- 8 Industries and Economy
- 9 Malls, multiplex and shopping
- 10 Sports
- 11 Tourism
- 12 Notable people
- 13 References
One of the oldest and historic cities in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra, Nanded is situated on the north bank of the Godavari River. The Nanda dynasty ruled over Nanded for generations in the 5th and 4th centuries BCE. Nanded was also part of the Maurya Empire under Ashoka (c. 272 to 231 BCE).
Early mentions of Nanded and irrigation practices are found in the Lilacharitra, a treatise written about 700 years ago by Mhaimbhatta. The city was formerly known as Nanditat (Marathi: नंदितट) according to a copper plate inscription found at Vasim. Nanded District and the adjoining areas were ruled over by the Andhrabhrtyas and Satvahanas during the first century AD.
 In 1708, the year following Aurangzeb's death, Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth spiritual leader of the Sikhs, came to Nanded. He proclaimed himself the last living Guru and established the Guru Granth Sahib as the eternal Guru of Sikhism, elevating the reverence of the text to that of a living leader. Around 1835, Maharaja Ranjit Singh's oversaw the construction of a gurudwara at Nanded. Located at the site of Guru Gobind Singh's cremation, the gurudwara is part of the Hazur Sahib..
Nanded became part of the Hyderabad State in 1725 and continued to be part of the Nizam's dominions until 1948. After India gained independence in 1947, the Indian Armed Forces annexed Hyderabad and ended the rule of the Nizam in Operation Polo, making Nanded part of the new Hyderabad State. Nanded, being a Marathi speaking area, is part of Maharashtra, based on India's linguistic state formation.
Nanded is the second largest city Marathawada after Aurangabad. Nanded district borders Latur district and Parbhani district to the west and Yavatmal district to the north,the district is bounded by Nizamabad, Medak and Adilabad districts of Andhra Pradesh on the east.Nanded City is divided in two parts: Old Nanded (20.62 km2) on the north bank of Godavari River, and New Nanded (31.14 km2), comprising Waghala and six other newly merged villages which are situated on south of the Godavari river.
As of the[update] 2011 census, Nanded had a population of 550,564. The municipality had a sex ratio of 924 females per 1,000 males, and 12.4% of the population were under six years old. Effective literacy was 87.40%; male literacy was 92.68% and female literacy was 81.74%.
The city of Nanded is managed by Nanded Waghala City Municipal Corporation (NWCMC).The corporation consist of democratically elected members. The Corporation consist of 81 Members.
Nanded is well connected to all parts of the country by Rail, Road & Air
1. National Highway 222 & National Highway 204 passing through the city. 2. State Road Transport Buses are available for every major cities in Maharashtra. Most frequent connectivity for Amravati, Akola, Nagpur, Hyderabad, Nizamabad, Latur, Parbhani Solapur. Also there are several buses for Aurangabad, Pune, Mumbai, Kolhapur, Beed, Bidar, Gulbarga, Surat, Chandrapur, Satara. 3. There are few privet Bus transporters also who operate their services Mostly for Pune. Except Pune the privet buses are available for Mumbai, Kolhapur, Nagpur, Indore, Hyderabad
Hujur Sahib Nanded is the new name of Nanded Railway Station. H Sahib Nanded is Division of South Central Railway.H Sahib Nanded is connected to almost every Major cities in India via Railway. There are several trains available which connects Nanded to cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad, Nizamabad, Bengaluru, Patna, Ajmer, Rameshwaram, Vishakhapatnam, Nagpur, Tirupati, Amritsar.
Nanded has airport named Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Airport with Night Landing Facility.
Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University is located in Nanded . Named after Swami Ramanand Teerth .It serves South Marathwada. Most colleges in Nanded, Parbhani, Hingoli & Latur are affiliated to University .University was established in 1994 .
Nanded is Known as educational Hub in Marathwada. The city is famous for its educational facilities. Student from nearing districts studying at colleges of University. Many colleges are located in the city with Nanded University.
Colleges in Nanded-
- Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology, Nanded
- MGM's College of Engineering
- Yeshwant Mahavidhyalaya
- Nanded Pharmacy College
- ITM Col
- Matoshri Pratishthan COE
- Dr. Shankarrao Chavan Govt. Medical College
- N.E.S. Science College
- N S B College
- Govt. Polytechnic
Reputed International School & Education Society.
- Priyadarshini Memorial Trust
- Gyanmata Vidhyavihar
- Khalsa High School, Nanded
- Sharda Bhavan Education Society
- Madeena-tul-Uloom Education Society
- Suffa Educational Association,Nanded.
- Kids Kingdoms
- Prathibhanikatan High School
- Oxford International School
- Nagurjana Public school
- Shaheen Campus
- The Crescent Foundation Public School Sai Nagar
- National Girls High School
- Gujrati High School
- Andhra Samithi School.
- Iqra Urdu Primary and High School Hyderbagh Mohammadiya colony
Industries and Economy
===MIDC=== it is an only Indian city which have full wi fi
- Jai Carporation Ltd, MIDC Nanded
- Kohinoor Feeds & Fats, MIDC Nanded
- Sai Smaran Foods Ltd, MIDC Nanded
- Maharashtra Krushi & Udyog Vikas Mahamandal, MIDC Nanded
- Godavari Drugs Ltd, MIDC Nanded
- XL Telecom & Energies Ltd, MIDC Nanded
- Tata Chemical Ltd, MIDC Nanded
Beside these major industries Nanded MIDC have few SME industries
Real estate in nanded is booming in recent years with large number of high rise apartments and commercial complex are being under construction, as the city is quickly spreading along its peripheral area the real estate industry is booming fast
Malls, multiplex and shopping
TREASURE mall is second largest mall in marathwada
PVR Cinemas (4 screen )
MAX, BIG Bazaar
Vazirabad & Barqui Chowk are also famous for shopping and always crowded with shoppers
Clubs, Stadiums and Sport Complexes
Sri Guru Gobind Singh Stadium, Nanded
State of art Badminton indoor hall
Olympic standard swimming pool
Sport accommodation complex for state or national matches
Total of 5 Tennis courts are available in Nanded at Nanded club
and Yeshwant Mahavidyalaya for playing tennis.
Nanded is one of the historical places in Marathwada region of Maharashtra State. It is situated on the north bank of Godavari River. It is famous for Sikh Gurudwaras. Nanded is a town of great antiquity. It is said that during the Puranic days, Pandavas traveled through Nanded district. Nandas ruled over Nanded through generations. In 1708, Guru Gobind Singh the tenth spiritual leader of the Sikhs came over to Nanded, his permanent abode. It was he who preached amongst the Sikhs that there need not be any spiritual leader for them and they should take Granth Sahib as their leader. A monument has been constructed at the place where he breathed his last. A Gurudwara has also been constructed there. It is known as Shri Hazur Abchalnagar Sachkhand Gurudwara
1.Gurudwara : The Gurudwara of Nanded is the Gurudwara of Takhat Sachkhand Shri Hazur Abchalnagar Sahib. Built by Maharaja Ranjit Singhji, the ruler of Punjab from 1830 to 1839 A.D. it is one of the five High seats of Authority of the Sikhs. Since Shri Guru Gobind Singhji took his last breath in this place. The Gurudwara has wonderfully preserved the mortal remains of the 10th Guru along with various other weapons.
2.Nanded Fort :Situated 4 km away from the Nanded Railway Station, the Nanded Fort has a beautiful location. Sensuous Godavari River encloses the fort on three sides. The fort is blessed with a good garden and water works enhancing its natural beauty
- Shankarrao Chavan (Former Home Minister of India, Former Chief Minister of Maharashtra)
- Ashok Chavan (Former Chief Minister of Maharashtra)
- Narhar Kurundkar (Writer)
- Kamal Kishore Kadam ( Former Minister for Higher & Technical Education Govt.of Maharashtra)
- D.P. Sawant (Minister of technical education)
- Shabana Raza (Bollywood Actress)
- Paper 2 – Cities having population 1 million and above – 2011 census
- "Nanded District - Historical Importance". India.gov.in. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- Maharashtra State Gazetteers: Nanded. Director of Government Printing, Stationery and Publications, Maharashtra State. 1971. pp. 4, 576.
- Proceedings - Indian History Congress. Indian History Congress. 2007. p. 331.
- Guruswamy, Mohan. "Police Action". Hyderabad on the Net. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011; Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 26 March 2012.