|Genre||Indian soap opera
|Created by||Ekta Kapoor|
|Based on||Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen|
|Developed by||Balaji Telefilms|
|Directed by||Muzammil Desai
|Creative director(s)||Creative Producer
|Theme music composer||Lalit Sen
|Country of origin||India|
|Original language(s)||Punjabi Hindi|
|No. of seasons||01|
|Running time||Approx. 22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Balaji Telefilms|
|Original channel||Zee TV|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV), 1080i (HDTV)|
|Original run||April 15, 2014 – Present|
Kumkum Bhagya is an Indian television drama show, which premiered on April 15, 2014. It airs on Zee TV from Monday through Friday. The show is produced by Ekta Kapoor under her banner Balaji Telefilms. The show is loosely based on the novel Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.
Initially started with low ratings, the show climbed to Top 5 most watched shows across all GEC's and second most watched show of Zee TV after few weeks of its launch and was touted as the biggest fiction launch of 2014. The show was subject to a heavy marketing campaign and saw a spike in viewership after the marriage of Pragya and Abhi.
Kumkum Bhagya is a show following the life of a Punjabi matriarch Sarla Arora who runs a marriage hall and lives with the hope of seeing her two daughters Pragya and Bulbul who're poles apart, happily married some day. Pragya, the elder daughter, is practical, hardworking and committed to supporting her family, teaches at a college to ensure the family makes two ends meet. In the midst of this pressure on her, she's forgotten how to unwind or pursue passions of her own. Bulbul, the younger daughter who has her head in the clouds is vivacious and smart, but a complete dreamer. Pragya receives a proposal from the family of the famous rockstar Abhishek Prem Mehra Aka Abhi. She is hesitant to marry Abhi, believing people will think she married him for wealth. However Abhi's grandmother, Dadi, is convinced Pragya is the best match for Abhi. Abhi the Rock star, is in a relationship with Alia's friend - Tanu. To obey Dadi (who he adores and worships) Abhi agrees to marry Pragya. He confesses his relationship with Tanu to Pragya, convinces Tanu that he will eventually separate from Pragya, marries Pragya and continues with a dual relationship! Abhi marries Pragya because of misunderstanding.Abhi, Tanu,Alia miunderstand about Pragya that Pragya is in relationshipwith Purab. The second sister Bulbul is in a relationship with Purab Khanna (Abhi's childhood friend). To complicate the plot Alia is in love with Purab while Bulbul has a number of admirers who would like to change their status to lovers. Alia, Tanu,Mitali continue to plotting, planning against Pragya and Bulbul. Later, There is Suresh (a bespectacled do gooder - Arora house neighbor)and a local corporator Neil Thakur! Additional characters include Raj and Mitali (Abhi's elder brother and his wife), Raj and Akash's mother and father(Abhi's uncle and aunt)Raj and Abhi's younger brother Akash. Mitali plays a supportive slow witted accomplice to the deceitfulness of Alia and Tanu, while Raj is in Jail (courtesy a conspiracy hatched by Mitali herself and which she blames Pragya for it)! There is the domestic help Purvi who is treated by Sarla as the third daughter but thrown out wrongly (Alia's doing). The show is replete with episodes of kidnapping, getting shot, a jungle chase,and MMS of Pragya and Suresh in a supposedly compromising situation, etc. etc. Basically the story follows the trials and tribulations of the star crossed lovers with the usual misunderstandings and solutions following.
- Sriti Jha as Pragya Abhishek Mehra(Female lead)
- Shabbir Ahluwalia as Abhishek Prem Mehra(Male lead)
- Mrunal Thakur as Bulbul Arora(Parallel Female lead) 
- Arjit Taneja as Purab Khanna(Parallel Male lead)
- Faisal Rashid as Suresh(Pragya's ex-fiance and neighbor)
- Supriya Shukla as Sarla Arora(Pragya and Bulbul's mother)
- Ankit Mohan as Aakash Mehra(Raj's brother, Abhi's cousin)
- Sadhana Sharma as Aanjali Aakash Mehra(Aakash's wife)
- Amit Dhawan / Anurag Sharma as Raj Mehra(Abhi's cousin, Aakash's brother)
- Saqlain Rahi Khan As Rocky(Abhi's friend)
- Samiksha Bhatnagar / Swati Anand as Mitali Raj Mehra(Raj's wife)
- Shivaani Sopuri as Pammi Mehra(Raj and Aakash's mother)
- Madhu Raja as Daljeet Kaur Arora(Pragya and Bulbul's grandmother)
- Shikha Singh as Aaliya Mehra(Purab's ex-fiance, Abhi's sister)
- Daljeet Soundh as Daljeet Mehra Daadi(Abhi, Aakash, Raj, Aaliya's grandmother)
- Madhurima Tuli / Leena Jumani as Tanu(Abhi and Aliya's friend)
- Neel Motwani as Mr. Neel Thakur
- Neha Bam as Purab's aunt
- Bobby Khanna as Tanu's father
- Roma Navani as Tanu's mother
- Navina Bole as Abhi's fan
- Charu Mehra as Purvi
|2014||Zee Rishtey Awards||Favorite Popular Face (Male)||Shabbir Ahluwalia||Won|
|Favorite Popular Face (Female)||Sriti Jha|
|Favorite Beti||Sriti Jha|
|Favorite Nayi Jodi||Arjit Taneja & Mrunal Thakur|
|Favorite Parivaar||Ekta Kapoor|
- Ekta Kapoor brings another love story on TV with ‘Kumkum Bhagya’ Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- Kumkum Bhagya to replace Pavitra Rishta Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- Ekta Kapoor's new show Kumkum Bhagya is losely inspired by Jane Austen's novel Sense and Sensibility Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- Ekta Kapoor's new Show is a passionate love story based on the popular novel Sense & Sensibility Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- Ekta brings back "K" factor with Kumkum Bhagya
- Kumkum Bhagya is a passionate story of love:Ekta Kapoor
- Kumkum Bhagya – The Biggest Fiction Launch of 2014
- Sriti Jha to play the elder amongst the two sister Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- Shabbir Ahluwalia to be back in acting in Ekta Kapoor's ‘Kumkum Bhagya’ Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- Khamoshiyaan actress Mrunal in Ekta's Kumkum Bhagya Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- Shikha Singh to play Shabbir Ahluwalia's sister in Ekta Kapoor's show Kumkum Bhagya Retrieved on 15 September 2014.
- Winners List: Zee Rishtey Awards 2014