Khurrana at the Zee Cine Awards, January 2013
14 September 1984
|Occupation||Television Anchor, Actor, Singer, Video Jockey,
Previously Radio Jockey, Reality Show Contestant
|Years active||2002–2007 (theatre)
2008 – present (Television Presenter)
2012 – present (Actor)
|Parents||P. Khurrana, Mrs. Poonam Khurrana|
|Relatives||Aparshakti Khurrana (brother)|
Ayushmann Khurrana (Hindi: आयुष्मान खुराना )is an Indian television anchor, film actor and singer. In 2012, Khurrana made his film debut in Shoojit Sircar's romantic comedy Vicky Donor, which touched on the topic of Sperm donation in India. Upon release, the film was a critical and commercial success, and Khurrana received positive reviews for his performance.
Early life and education
Ayushmann Khurrana is a native of Chandigarh, who studied at St. John’s High School and DAV College in Chandigarh. He majored in English Literature and has done Masters in Mass Communication from School of Communication Studies, Panjab University, Chandigarh. He has been active in theatre for 5 years. He was the founder member of DAV College’s Aaghaaz and Manchtantra, which are active theatre groups in Chandigarh. He has conceptualised and enacted in street plays and won prizes in national fests like Mood Indigo (IIT Bombay), Oasis (Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani) and St. Bedes Simla. He also won a Best Actor award for playing Ashwatthama in Dharamvir Bharati’s Andha Yug.
2004–11: Television and early career
Ayushmann Khurrana started his career when he turned out to be the winner in MTV Roadies Season 2. After finishing studies, his first job was a disc jockey at BIG FM, Delhi. He hosted the show Big Chai – Maan Na Maan, Main Tera Ayushmann and also won the Young Achievers Award in 2007 for it. After radio, Khurrana moved on to become a Video Jockey on MTV with Pepsi MTV Wassup, The Voice of Youngistaan, an informative show for the youth.
He also worked in many other MTV shows as well like MTV Fully Faltoo Movies, Cheque De India and Jaadoo Ek Baar. He then turned as television host with a multiple-talent based reality show India's Got Talent on Colors TV which he co-anchored with Nikhil Chinapa and Stripped which gave latest updates on the Indian TV industry with comic tinge, again on MTV. At the end of the year he was also the anchor of a singing reality show Music Ka Maha Muqqabla on STAR Plus.
Apart from hosting the second seasons of MTV Rock On, and India's Got Talent on Colors. Khurrana was also a part of the anchoring team of Extra Innings T20 for Indian Premier League Season 3 on SET Max with Gaurav Kapur, Samir Kochhar and Angad Bedi. Instead of hosting the 3rd season of India's Got Talent, Khurrana took up the offer of anchoring the dance-based reality show Just Dance on STAR Plus judged by Hrithik Roshan, Vaibhavi Merchant and Farah Khan.
2012–present: Film debut and breakthrough
In 2012, he made his Bollywood debut with Shoojit Sircar's Vicky Donor opposite Yami Gautam. The film marked actor John Abraham's debut as a producer. Vicky Arora who marries a Bengali girl without telling her about his past as a sperm donor. Despite its small budget, the movie became a major commercial success and received critical acclaim. For the film, he also sang a song Pani Da Rang composed by him and Rochak Kohli. Both the movie and song were well received. Khurrana received critical acclaim for his performance. Taran Adarsh notes "Ayushmann is a complete natural, has all the trappings of a fine actor and delivers a super confident performance." Gaurav Malani adds that Khurrana "is so natural that it never seems he's acting but rather gliding through the role. He is a pro at both the comedy and emotional scenes." Khurrana went on to receive many accolades for his performance, including the Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut and Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer. Inspite of his successful Bollywood debut, Khurrana did not quit television completely, and was seen anchoring the IIFA Awards 2012, People's Choice Awards India 2012 and the Screen Awards 2013. Riffing off the plot of Vicky Donor, Khurrana later appeared in a PETA ad campaign, encouraging pet owners to have their dogs and cats sterilized.
Khurrana was next seen in Rohan Sippy's Nautanki Saala co-starring Pooja Salvi, Kunal Roy Kapoor, and Evelyn Sharma. The film opened to positive reviews from critics, with Taran Adarsh stating that the film was "uncontaminated, witty and amusing". Khurrana has sung two songs in this movie namely Saddi Gali and Tu Hi Tu, one of which he has composed himself again in collaboration with Rochak Kohli. Nautanki Saala was released on 12 April 2013. The film proved to be a moderate success at the box office, earning approx. 210 million (US$3.4 million) at the domestic box office.
Khurrana will be seen next in for Yash Raj Films's next titled Bewakoofian directed by Nupur Asthana, slated to release on 14 March 2014 in which he will star opposite Sonam Kapoor. He is currently filming for the biopic on the life of Shivkar Bapuji Talpade titled Bambai Fairytale  and is also set to reunite with his Vicky Donor team, in Hamara Bajaj, in which he will play the role of a struggling actor.
Khurrana originally belongs to Chandigarh and his family is still based there. His father Mr. P Khurrana, is a renowned astrologer and an author on the subject of astrology, while his mother Poonam is a house wife and a qualified M.A. in Hindi. His brother Aparshakti is a radio jockey at OYE 104.8 FM in Delhi. The ambiance of literature at home influenced Khurrana as well and he took to writing as a hobby. He also maintains a blog where he writes in Hindi and it has been received very well by his admirers. He is married to his childhood friend Tahira.
|2012||Vicky Donor||Vicky Arora||Also sung and composed the single Pani Da Rang
Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer
Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut
|2013||Nautanki Saala||Ram Parmar aka RP||Also sung Saadi Galli Aaja and Tu Hi Tu|
|2014||Bewakoofiyaan||Mohit Chaddha||releasing on 14 March 2014|
|2014||Bambai Fairytale||Shivkar Bapuji Talpade||Filming|
|2014||Hamara Bajaj||It is Khurrana's second film with director Sircar and Abraham, after his debut Vicky Donor|
|2014||Dum Laga Ke Haisha||Filming|
|2004||MTV Roadies Season 2||Contestant||MTV India||Winner of MTV Roadies Season 2|
|2007||Kayamath||Saket Shergil||Star Plus|
|2008||Pepsi MTV Wassup, The Voice of Youngistaan||Video Jockey||MTV India||Co-hosted the show with MTV VJs Bani J and Vineet Modi|
|2008||MTV Fully Faltoo Movie-Cheque De India||Fakir lan||MTV||Spoof of Shahrukh Khan starrer movie Chak De! India|
|2008||MTV Fully Faltoo Movie-Jadoo Ekbar||Prince Jalebi||MTV||Spoof of the movie Jodhaa Akbar|
|2008||MTV Roadies Hell Down Under||Anchor||MTV India||Anchor at the auditions only|
|2008||Ek Thi Rajkumari||Antagonist||Zee Next||Antagonist|
|2008–09||Fantastic 5||Video Jockey||MTV India|
|2009||India's Got Talent Season 1||Anchor||Colors TV||Co-Hosted the show with Nikhil Chinapa|
|2009||Kurkure Desi Beats Rock on with MTV Season 1||Anchor||MTV India||Anchor at the auditions only|
|2008||MTV Roadies Season 7||Anchor||MTV India||Anchor at the auditions only|
|2009||Amul Music Ka Maha Muqqabla||Anchor||STAR Plus|
|2010||Extra Innings T20 for Indian Premier League Season 3||Presenter||SET Max||Co-Hosted the show with Gaurav Kapur, Samir Kochhar and Angad Bedi|
|2010||India's Got Talent Season 2||Anchor||Colors TV||Co-Hosted the show with Nikhil Chinapa|
|2010||Kurkure Desi Beats Rock on with MTV Season 2||Anchor||MTV India||Co-Hosted the show with Lisa Haydon|
|2010 – present||Airtel Super Star Buzz||Anchor||Star Plus|
|2011||MTV Grind||Anchor||MTV India|
|2011||MTV Roadies Season 8 Graveyard||Anchor||MTV India|
|2011||Just Dance||Anchor||Star Plus||Winner, Indian Television Academy Award For Best Anchor of Music/Film Based show|
|2009||Apasara Awards||Colors TV|
|2009||Pearls Wave Awards||Sony Entertainment Television|
|2009||I am She|
|2010||STAR Parivaar Awards||Star Plus|
|2010||Sahara India Sports Awards||Star Plus|
|2010||Big Star Entertainment Awards||Star Plus|
|2011||STAR Parivaar Awards||Star Plus|
|2011||Ra.One Press Conference||YouTube|
|2012||Femina Miss India||Sony Entertainment Television|
|2012||International Indian Film Academy Awards||Star Plus|
|2012||People's Choice Awards India||Colors TV|
|2013||Screen Awards||Colors TV|
|2013||Mirchi Music Awards||Colors TV|
|2012||Pani Da Rang||Vicky Donor||co-composed with Rochak Kohli|
|2013||Saddi Gali||Nautanki Saala||co-composed with Rochak Kohli|
|2013||O Heeriye||Bewakoofiyaan||co-composed with Rochak Kohli|
Awards and nominations
- "Vicky Donor is a HIT". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Vicky Donor gets very good reviews from film critics". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "City boy is MTV’s most popular Roadie". The Tribune. 1 December 2004.
- "RJ Ayushmann of BIG 92.7 FM creates history: Wins Young Achievers Award". India PRwire. 1 May 2007.
- "MTV launches Three Films". Telly Chakkar. 10 September 2008.
- "In conversation with the host- Ayushman and Nikhil". BuzzG.com. 30 June 2009.
- "Ayushmann to host Music Ka Mahamuqabla". Indya.com. 30 June 2009.
- "Max Unveils Mega Extra Innings T20 for IPL 2010". Zimbio.com. 10 March 2010.
- "Ayushmann Khurana to host Superstar Buzz". Star Plus. 30 October 2010.
- "Ayushman's film debut". Indya.com. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "I might cast a Kolkata girl: Shoojit Sircar". The Times of India. 6 July 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "Ayushmann's film debut as Sperm Donor". The Times of India. 6 October 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Vicky Donor (2012) Movie Review". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Malani, Gaurav. "Vicky Donor: Movie Review". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Vijay Singh,"Ayushmann Khurrana poses with condom for dog sterilizations," The Times of India 15 December 2015.
- "Abhishek calls Ayushmann 'Nautanki Saala'". Bolly Spice.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana, Kunal Roy Kapoor in Sippy's next film". NDTV.
- "Evelyn Sharma to star with Ayushmann Khurrana and Kunal Roy Kapur". Bolly Spice.
- "Nautanki saala review".
- "Bhushan Kumar finalises April 12 for Nautanki Saala". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "YRF's Dawaat-E-Ishq and Bewakoofiyan to release next year". India TV.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana, Sonam Kapoor star in the next Yash Raj film". India TV.
- "Ayushmann plays a Marathi scientist in Bambai Fairytale". The Indian Express.
- "After Vicky Donor, Ayushmann bags John's Hamara Bajaj". The Indian Express.
- "Ayushmann to play struggling actor in Hamara Bajaj". Bollywood Hungama.
- "ITA Awards 2011 was a star-studded night". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana's Biography". 2012-01-26.
- "Star Parivaar Awards 2012 Winner List". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana, Yami of VICKY DONOR bag Gold Awards". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Bollywood Bhaskar Awards Winners List". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "2012 GQ INDIA MEN OF THE YEAR". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "On a high note: Global Indian Music Awards honour India's brightest stars". Daily Mail. 2 October 2012. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "The Chevrolet Star GiMA Awards 2012 Film Music Nominees". GIMA. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Kumar, Ravi. "People's Choice Awards 2012 Nominees". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Star Plus Big Star Entertainment Awards Winner List 31st December 2012". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Filmfare Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "ETC Business Awards Winners: 2012 – 2013". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Winner's of 19th Annual Screen Awards". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours". Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Stardust Awards 2013 Winners". Retrieved 27 January 2013
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Winners of Renault Star Guild Awards 2013". Retrieved 20 June 2013
- "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?". Retrieved 20 June 2013
- "Time of India Film Awards 2013 Winners List". Indicine.
- "TOIFA Awards 2013 Nominations". Indicine.
- "IIFA Awards 2013: The winners are finally here!".
- "Nominations for IIFA Awards 2013". Retrieved 20 June 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ayushmann Khurrana.|
- Ayushmann Khurrana at the Internet Movie Database
- Ayushmann Khurrana's Official Blog
- Ayushmann Khurrana on Twitter