List of cities in Odisha by population
below 5 yrs
|* UA=Urban Agglomeration|
In the census of India 2011, an Urban Agglomeration has been defined as follows:
“An urban agglomeration is a continuous urban spread constituting a town and its adjoining outgrowths (OGs), or two or more physically contiguous towns together with or without outgrowths of such towns. An Urban Agglomeration must consist of at least a statutory town and its total population (i.e. all the constituents put together) should not be less than 20,000 as per the 2001 Census. In varying local conditions, there were similar other combinations which have been treated as urban agglomerations satisfying the basic condition of contiguity.”
Constituents of Urban Agglomerations in Odisha
The constituents of Urban Agglomerations in Odisha, with a population of 1 lakh or above, are noted below:
- Bhubaneswar Urban Agglomeration includes: Bhubaneswar Town (M Corp.), Industrial & Colony Area (OG), Patrapada (OG), Sijua (OG), Ransinghapur (OG), Sarakantara (OG), Bahadalpur (OG), Ebaranga (OG), Raghunathpurjali (OG), Kalarahanga (OG), Injana (OG), Rokat (OG), Kesora (OG), Koradakanta (OG), and Bankual (OG)
- Cuttack Urban Agglomeration includes: Cuttack (M Corp.), Choudwar Town (M), and Industrial Area (OG)
- Rourkela Urban Agglomeration includes: Rourkela Industrial Township (IT), I.D.L.Factory & Other Colony Area (OG), Rourkela Town (M), Kulunga Industrial Estate & Other Colony Area (OG), Jalda Town (CT)
- Sambalpur Urban Agglomeration includes: Sambalpur Town (M), Dhankauda & Mathapali Area (OG), Burla Town (NAC), Amsadha Katapali Area (OG), and Hirakud Town (NAC)
- Baleshwar Urban Agglomeration includes: Baleshwar Town (M), Baleswwar Industrial Estate (OG), and Remuna Town (NAC)
- Bhadrak Urban Agglomeration includes: Bhadrak (M), Randia (OG), Sarmanga (OG), Koranta (OG), Boudhpur (OG), Samaraipur (OG), Erei Town (CT)
- Baripada Urban Agglomeration includes: Baripada Town (M), Podaastia Business Center Area (OG), Subarnarekha Irrigation Project Colony (OG), and Indupahi (OG)
Urban Agglomeration constituents
Urban Agglomerations constituents with a population above 100,000 as per 2011 census are shown in the table below.
|Urban Agglomeration||Name of Constituent||District||Type*||Population 2011||Male||Female||Population
below 5 yrs
|Bhubaneswar||Bhubaneswar Town||Khordha district||M Corp.||837,737||445,233||392,504||75,237||93.15|
|Cuttack||Cuttack||Cuttack district||M Corp.||606,007||303,530||302,477||48,585||91.17|
|Rourkela||Rourkela Industrial Township||Sundergarh district||IT||210,412||109,823||100,589||20,399||86.60|
|Rourkela Town||Sundergarh district||M||273,217||144,949||128,268||29,050||87.95|
|Sambalpur||Sambalpur Town||Sambalpur district||M||183,383||94,627||88,756||18,555||85.74|
|Balasore||Balasore Town||Balasore district||M||118,202||60,308||57,894||11,115||88.79|
|Baripada||Baripada Town||Mayurbhanj district||M||110,058||57,008||53,050||9,933||89.31|
Abbreviations: M Corp.= Municipal corporation, M= Municipality, NAC= Notified area committee, CT = Census town, IT= Inustrial Town, OG= Out Growth
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Urban Agglomerations and Cities". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Constituents of urban Agglomerations Having Population 1 Lakh & above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.