Location of Meade, Kansas
|• Total||0.99 sq mi (2.56 km2)|
|• Land||0.99 sq mi (2.56 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,497 ft (761 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,651|
|• Density||1,738.4/sq mi (671.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0470596|
In August, 2006, the town received national media attention due to the reaction after a rainbow flag was flown above a local hotel.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,721 people, 670 households, and 454 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,738.4 inhabitants per square mile (671.2 /km2). There were 766 housing units at an average density of 773.7 per square mile (298.7 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.4% White, 1.0% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 1.1% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.1% of the population.
There were 670 households of which 32.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.5% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.2% were non-families. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.98.
The median age in the city was 41.3 years. 26.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21.2% were from 25 to 44; 24.6% were from 45 to 64; and 21.2% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.6% male and 49.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,672 people, 654 households, and 451 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,739.2 people per square mile (672.5/km²). There were 753 housing units at an average density of 783.2 per square mile (302.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.20% White, 0.60% African American, 0.48% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 3.23% from other races, and 1.08% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.56% of the population.
There were 654 households out of which 33.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.6% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.0% were non-families. 29.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.7% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 25.7% from 25 to 44, 19.4% from 45 to 64, and 22.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 91.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $32,583, and the median income for a family was $40,357. Males had a median income of $27,813 versus $20,764 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,910. About 3.9% of families and 5.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.6% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 238.
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Volume 2. Standard Publishing Company. p. 249.
- "Profile for Meade, Kansas". ePodunk. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "Over the Rainbow" Weekend America, August 19, 2006.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Meade, Kansas
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Meade, Kansas.|
- City of Meade
- Meade - Directory of Public Officials
- Meade Economic Development
- Meade Chamber of Commerce
- USD 226, local school district