Miss World Canada
The Miss World Canada contest is a beauty pageant, held mostly annually in various incarnations and with several different names since 1957, to select Canada's representative to the Miss World contest. The Canadian franchise is currently owned by Upstage This! Productions, based in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Canada began competing in Miss World in 1957, when the contest was known as Miss Maple-Leaf Canada. The winner, Judy Welch, was Canada's first Miss world contestant—unfortunately, she contracted the Asian flu and was unable to compete in the finals. Canada has yet to win the Miss World title, however Canadians have placed as first runner-up on three separate occasions. The first was in 1984 with Connie Fitzpatrick, again in 1989 with Leanne Caputo, and the third in 2003 with Nazanin Afshin-Jam. Canada has also placed semi-finalists a handful of times.
Miss World Canada 2014: Annora Bourgeault
- 1st Runner-up: Ericka Virk
- 2nd Runner-up: Pooja Anand
- 3rd Runner-up: Tayler Jotie
- 4th Runner-up: Betsy Leimbigler
Miss World Canada 2013: Camille Munro
- 1st Runner-up: Tamara Jemuovic
- 2nd Runner-up: Anastasia Lin
- 3rd Runner-up: Katie Zeppieri
- 4th Runner-up: Sofiya Chorniy
Miss World Canada 2012: Tara Teng
- 1st Runner-up: Lisa Deane
- 2nd Runner-up: Tanya Halata
The other competitors in the top five were Thalia Kiriopolous and Courtney Woodford.
Miss World Canada 2011: Riza Santos
- 1st Runner-up: Poonam Punni  (Fast tracked)
- 2nd Runner-up: Keatha Walsh 
- 3rd Runner-up: Dionne Ng 
- 4th Runner-up: Pooja Anand 
Top 11 Semi-Finalists
- Nalani Wakita (Fast tracked)
- Melissa Muirhead (Fast tracked)
- Andrea Glisic (Fast tracked)
- Priya Banerjee (Fast tracked)
- Jessica Ferreira (Fast tracked)
- Malti Chaudhary
Miss World Canada 2010: Denise Garrido
- 1st Runner-up: Lacey Budge
- 2nd Runner-up: Poonam Puni (Fast tracked)
Top 12 Semi-Finalists
- Angel Bhathal
- Sarah Davidson-Gurney (Fast tracked)
- Deanna Gold
- Sherry Jobani
- Sapna Sehravat
- Dona Sharma (Fast tracked)
- Sidney Shindle
- Sofia Teleguina (Fast tracked)
- Jessica Tsang
- Top Promotions: Dona Sharma (Fast track award to semifinalist position)
- Best International Costume: Sofia Teleguina (Fast track award to semifinalist position)
- Top Swimsuit: Denise Garrido (Fast track award to semifinalist position)
- Beauty With A Purpose: Poonam Puni (Fast track award to semifinalist position)
- People's Choice: Ziyah Karmali (Fast track award to semifinalist position)* Note: this spot was not awarded see 2010 controversy below
- Top Talent: Sarah Davidson-Gurney (Fast track award to semifinalist position)
- Miss Friendship: Ziyah Karmali
- Miss Photogenic: Denise Garrido
- Best Scrap Book: Poonam Puni
Semi-Finalist and Finalist Judging Format
Delegates who choose to compete in the received the optional competitions and receive the highest score in either the International Costume, Talent Competition, Swimsuit Competition, Fundraising, People’s Choice or Top Promotions are automatically fast-tracked (guaranteed a spot) to one of the 12 semi-finalist positions. The remaining 6 semifinalists are chosen by the judges based on their scores for Evening Gown and Personal interview. Once the 12 Semi-Finalists are chosen, they are then asked an impromptu question based on their biography and these marks (Out of a bonus of 50) will be added to their overall score. From these scores, the semi-finalists will be narrowed down to the Top Finalist positions and each of these contestants will be asked to answer another impromptu question. This will also be given an additional bonus of 50 points to the previous score. The MISS WORLD CANADA 2010 Title holder will be the highest scorer out of 200 points.
The 2010 edition winner of the People's Choice Fast Track (also winner of Miss Friendship), Ziyah Karmali, was unannounced and not awarded her guaranteed semifinalist spot, casting doubt to the validity of the published scoring system. Taking part as a semifinalist would have allowed her to compete for an additional 100 points which could have changed the entire winner/finalist lineup. Additionally, a contestant of the Miss Teen Global pageant (which was held on stage concurrently alongside Miss World Canada) was also denied her People's Choice award. Upstage This! Productions and Katherine Grefner have refused to issue a public apology and have threatened to remove Ziyah from the official pageant DVD.
- Miss World Canada 2009: Lena Ma
- 1st Runner-up: Nelly Hadi
- 2nd Runner-up: Sabeen Chaudhary
- 3rd Runner-up: Jasmine Pham
- 4th Runner-up: Patricia Singh
Top 10 Semi-Finalists
- Dana Cullen
- Gagan Chahal
- Hasti Vahidi
- Megan Edwards
- Sapna Sehravat
- Point Zero Ocean Swimwear: Nelly Hadi
- Miss Fitness: Katherine Slack
- Beauty With A Purpose: Lena Ma
- People's Choice: Lacey Tippett
- Miss Talent: Lena Ma
- Miss Charity: Gwen Elliot
- “Best in Evening Gown: Lena Ma
- Fiorio Woman of Style Award: Lena Ma
- Miss Friendship: Alyssa Genier
- Sherrida Top Model Award: Lena Ma
- Miss Photogenic: Danika Brazeau
Miss World Canada 2008: Leah Ryerse
- 1st Runner-up: Simranjit Singh
- 2nd Runner-up: Shaileen Stanley
- 3rd Runner-up: Tea-Nercita Savic
- 4th Runner-up: Lena Ma
- Diana Schousten
- Leslie Ann Wilsher
- Netasha Ramganesh
- Rena Kawabata
- Nicole Hemmer
- Beauty With A Purpose: Natalie Lapointe
- Miss Talent: Natalie Lapointe
- Miss Charity: Lena Ma
- “Best in Evening Gown: Leah Ryerse
- Sherrida Top Model Award: Simranjit Singh
- Point Zero Ocean Swimwear: Leah Ryerse
- Miss Fitness: Rena Kawabata
Miss World Canada 2007: Sara Ghulam
- 1st Runner-up: Alyson Lozoff
- 2nd Runner-up: Maria Vdov
- 3rd Runner-up: Leah Ryerse
- 4th Runner-up: Geneviève Poirier
Top 10 Semi-Finalists
- Kate Kucz
- Lisa Harrigan
- Natalie Lefrançois
- Natasha B.
- Yasmine Rassem
- Best In Interview: Alyson Lozoff
- Best In Swimwear: Geneviève Poirier
- ' Fitness Award: Lori O'Keefe
- Beauty With A Purpose Award: Lisa Harrigan
- People's Choice Award: Natasha B.
- Miss Talent: Sara Ghulam
- Miss Entrepreneur: Saphia Khambalia
- Best in Evening Gown: Sara Ghulam
- Miss Congeniality: Theresa Turay
- Sherrida Supermodel Award: Leah Ryerse
- Miss Photogenic: Tiffany Goulding
Miss World Canada 2006: Malgosia Majewska, Miss Peel Region
- 1st Runner-up: Ashley Bursey, Miss Newfoundland & Labrador
- 2nd Runner-up: Grace Russell, Miss Edmonton
- 3rd Runner-up: Aminata Farmo, Miss Gatineau
- 4th Runner-up: Shannon Bowles, Miss Victoria
Top 10 Semi-Finalists
- Kate Manigold, Miss Stoney Creek
- Chelsea Dunda, Miss Hamilton
- Jenna-Lee Creelman, Miss Brampton
- Adwoa Yamoah, Miss Calgary
- Elena Soboleva, Miss Downtown Toronto
- Best In Interview: Sasha Abunnadi, Miss B.C. Coast
- Best In Swimwear: Shannon Bowles, Miss Victoria
- Fitness Award: Malgosia Majewska, Miss Peel Region
- Beauty With A Purpose Award: Daphne Choi, Miss North York
- People's Choice Award: Jenna-Lee Creelman, Miss Brampton
- Miss Congeniality: Abigail Lee, Miss York Region & Sandi Vincient, Miss Nunavut
- Woman of Style: Jenna-Lee Creelman, Miss Brampton
- Miss Photogenic: Simin Bagheri, Miss London
- Miss World Canada 2005: Ramona Amiri, Miss Vancouver
- 1st Runner-up: Christina Walls, Miss Salt Spring Island
- 2nd Runner-up: Fanny Samaniego, Miss Southern Ontario
- 3rd Runner-up: Jenna-Lee Creelman, Miss Brampton
- 4th Runner-up: Jennifer Schott, Miss Niagara Peninsula
Top 10 Semi-Finalists
- Anna Maria Ezechiels, Miss Toronto Harbourfront
- Dalia Rene, Miss Willowdale
- Erna Colakovic, Miss Calgary
- Galyna Skrypnyk, Miss Etobicoke
- Sherry Rampersaud, Miss Toronto
- Heart & Soul: Chelsea Dunda, Miss Hamilton
- Beauty With A Purpose Award: Kim Murphy, Miss Victoria
- People's Choice: Christina Walls, Miss Salt Spring Island
- Swimwear/Beach Beauty: Fanny Samaniego, Miss Southern Ontario
- Sport: Katherin Lessard, Miss Central Quebec
- Photogenic: AnnaMaria Ezechiels, Miss Toronto Harbourfront
- Woman Of Style: Ramona Amiri, Miss Vancouver
Old Judging Format
Contestants compete in three preliminary competitions:
- Personal Interview - A group of judges interviews each contestant individually, on things like involvement in charitable causes, and commitment to the Miss World organization's ideals, including "Beauty With A Purpose".
- Swimsuit - The winner of this portion is named Miss Point Zero Ocean Swimwear.
- Evening Wear - Contestants are measured on how they present themselves in a dress.
The scores are combined, and the finalists are selected, from which the winner is selected.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2010)|
- 1957: It is believed that the first winner of that contest was Judy Welch of Toronto, a former Miss Toronto who had also participated in the Miss Canada Pageant.
- 1958: Marilyn Keddie of Flin Flon, Manitoba won the Miss Maple-Leaf Canada crown.
- 1959: Irene Dobler of Toronto won the Miss Maple Leaf-Canada title, but resigned, leaving first runner-up Huguette Demers of Montreal to compete internationally.
- 1960: Danica d'Hondt of Vancouver, British Columbia, a former Miss Canada, who had also participated in the 1959 Miss America Pageant won by Mary Ann Mobley, competed at Miss World. She placed among the top 16 finalists of the Miss World Contest, and was the first Canadian to place in the international finals. It is unknown how she was chosen to participate at the international event.
- 1961: No Canadian participated in Miss World 1961
- 1962—1979: the winner of the Miss Dominion of Canada Pageant, based in Niagara Falls, Ontario, went to Miss World.
Following the disbanding of the Miss Dominion of Canada Pageant, former 1970 Miss World from Grenada, Jennifer Hosten (then Jennifer Hosten-Craig), was asked by Miss World Chairwoman Julia Morley to set up a national event. Thus, the first official Miss World Canada Contest took place in 1980. It was held in Ottawa in front of hundreds of spectators, and was hosted by Al Waxman and Karen Kain, the Principal Dancer for the National Ballet of Canada.
- 1980: Quebec City's Annette Labrecque won the title. She went onto win "Miss Friendship" at the Miss World Contest.
- 1981: No event was held in 1981, but the previous year's first runner-up, Earla Stewart of Pembroke, Ontario, went to the Miss World finals and placed among the semi-finalists.
- 1982: The Sun Media Corporation's flagship newspaper, the tabloid style Toronto Sun, was named the franchise-holder for Canada, and elected Jody Jensen of Calgary as Miss World Canada 1982.
- 1983: No event was held in 1983, and again, the previous year's first runner-up, Katharine Durish of Toronto, went to London for the Miss World finals.
- 1984: The ING Media Group were named new franchise-holders and held a small event in Toronto. Connie Fitzpatrick, a 19-year-old part-time model and student at McMaster University in Hamilton, won the crown, and went on to London where she finished as first runner-up in the international finals, then Canada's best showing ever. She gained great acclaim from the Fleet Street press for her stunning beauty and likeness to Princess Diana.
- 1985–1986: Miss World Canada ceased again, and the Miss Canada Pageant send its first runners-up both years: Mia Tambling of Elora, Ontario in 1985, and Wynne Kroontje of Sarnia, Ontario in 1986.
- 1987: Miss World Canada began again 1987 and ran until 1991. Tracy Westerholm of North Vancouver took part in 1987.
- 1988: Morgan Fox of Vancouver, British Columbia, who went on to great fame as a Playboy magazine Playmate of the Year.
- 1989: The show was televised on cable networks across Canada, and saw Leanne Caputo of Milton, Ontario win the crown. She went on to Hong Kong for the 1989 Miss World Contest, where she finished as first runner-up and was named Queen of the Americas, as the highest-placing delegate from North, Central or South America.
- 1990: Natasha Palewandram, a top five finalist in 1989, participated at Miss World.
- 1991: Tara Paat won the Miss World Canada contest in Vancouver in October 1991. She withdrew from the Miss World finals, held jointly in South Africa and Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1992: The famed GuyRex group of El Paso, Texas, who ran the Miss Texas USA pageant since 1974, among other ventures, were awarded the Miss World franchises for Canada and the United States. After various casting calls, Nina Khilji of Toronto was chosen the winner and held the title Miss 1992 World Canada. She won the Best National Costume prize at Miss World in Sun City, South Africa.
- 1993: Roy Pinnock, who would later start the Miss Black Canada Pageant, ran the Miss World Canada Contest in Toronto. Tanya Memme, who went on to some great success as a television presenter, was the winner. Katherine Grefner, her roommate in that pageant at the time, and previous Miss World Canada President and CEO, won top talent with her singing and placed second runner up to Tanya.
From 1994 to 1996, Chan International Models of Edmonton was awarded the Canadian franchise rights, and held Miss World of Canada.
- 1994: Shawna Roberts of Calgary won the crown.
- 1995: Alissa Lehinki of Edmonton was chosen at-large to compete internationally. The following year, a Miss World of Ontario preliminary was held to select Ontario representatives for the national contest, and was won by Michelle Weswaldi of Woodbridge. As a national final was not held that year, Weswaldi was elevated to the national title. |
From 1997 to 2002, 'The Miss Canada International Inc'. Organization President and CEO Sylvia Starkholds Longest Directorship of Miss World within Canada. Miss Canada International Inc. held the rights to send their national title holders to the Miss World Pageant. The Miss World finals were held in the Seychelles, Africa, Nigeria, London and Sun City. All title holders from these years were Miss Canada's International title holders.Website- www.misscanadainternational.com Title holders Keri-Lynn Power -Newfoundland Leeanne Baird -Stoney Creek, ON Christine Cho- Toronto, ON Mireille Eid- Ottawa, ON Tara Hall- Niagara Falls, ON Lynsey Bennett- Ottawa, ON
- 2003: SP Productions of Toronto, which incorporated itself as MWC Inc. that year, was awarded the franchise for Miss World. The four events to date have been held in Toronto. In 2003, Nazanin Afshin-Jam of Vancouver won the national title, and she finished as both first runner-up and Queen of the Americas at Miss World that year in Sanya, China. She was also named Miss Fitness, which earned her a bye into the top twenty semi-finalists. Afshin-Jam traveled to five continents during her reign and is now recording an album. She was the first Canadian woman of Persian heritage to win a major national beauty title in Canada.
- 2004: Tijana Arnautović of Ottawa won the crown of Miss World. She had turned eighteen just three weeks prior to the national finals, and won not only because of her great beauty, but because of intelligence and maturity beyond her years. She was the first Canadian woman of Serbian background to win a major national beauty title in Canada. Arnautović competed at the biggest pageant in history, Miss World 2004 in Sanya, China, where 107 women participated.
- 2005: Ramona Amiri of Vancouver took home the title, and she went on to finish in the top fifteen semi-finalists at Miss World in Sanya, China. She was also a Talent competition finalist, being named the winner of the Best Traditional Dance category, and was a top five finalist in the Beach Beauty swimwear competition. She was the only delegate out of 102 international contestants to place in the final five in both categories.
- 2006: Malgosia Majewska of Peel Region won the national title and was a Top 17 Semi-Finalist at the Miss World competition in Poland in September 2006. She won the Miss World Sport Fast Track event and was a semi-finalist in both the Beach Beauty and Talent competitions.
- Color key
- Declared as Winner
- Ended as runner-up
- Ended as one of the finalists or semifinalists
- Marhgil Macuha (May 15, 2012). "Miss World Canada 2012: Tara Teng Wins The Crown". Batangas Today. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "Andrew Chin Photography".
- "Miss World Canada HandBook". MWC 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "Miss World Canada HandBook". MWC 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "Denied a shot at the Crown". Metro News. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "Beauty Pageant Gets Ugly". Metro News. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- Miss World 1958 Result
7. Annora Bourgeault: Miss World Canada 2014