Piramal Enterprises Ltd
|Traded as||BSE: 500302
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Key people||Ajay Piramal, Swati Piramal, Nandini Piramal, Anand Piramal|
|Revenue||36710.5 million (US$560 million) (2010)|
|Net income||4817.4 million (US$74 million) (2010)|
Piramal Enterprises Limited, formerly known as Piramal Healthcare Limited, is the flagship company of Piramal Group. The company is listed on both Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange. The company has the following business units: Piramal Healthcare, Piramal Life Sciences, Piramal Capital & Decision Resources Group.
Piramal | Healthcare
Piramal entered the pharmaceutical sector in 1988 and today their business comprises pharma solutions, critical care, consumer products and lab-diagnostics. This business unit contributes to over 90 percent of the company’s revenues. The Critical Care business of the Piramal Group is one of the three players globally in Inhalation anaesthetic market. It sells all the currently used gases — Halothane, Isoflurane, Enflurane, Sevoflurane and Desflurane. The product portfolio also includes Intravenous Anaesthetics like Propofol, Regional Anaesthetics like Bupivacaine, Muscle Relaxants like Atracurium and Plasma Volume Expanders like Polygeline. The leading brand portfolio under the OTC division includes Lacto calamine, I products (i-pill, i-sure, i-can), Saridon, Supractive Complete, Polycrol, Tri-active, Itchmosol, Jungle Magic etc. The division currently services 400,000 chemists and general stores. The pharma solution business unit have assets across North America, Europe and Asia. It offers services across the entire drug life cycle – from development and commercial manufacturing to off-patent supplies of API and formulations. The diagnostics division sells biochemistry analysers, hemaology analysers diasys range of reagents, Lipids, and immunoturbidimetric HbA1c kits.
Piramal | Life Sciences
Lifesciences is the second vertical of PEL, which focuses on innovative research and discovery. The NCE Research division works to discover, develop and commercialise new drugs to address important unmet clinical needs, currently in the target markets of – Oncology, diabetes/metabolic disorders, inflammation and infectious diseases The company has 295 issued patents and 808 pending patent applications in various countries including the US, India, China, Japan, Canada and the European countries. Since 2005, Piramal Enterprises has worked on bio-orthopaedics research through strategic investments in innovations such as BST-CarGel®, a bioscaffold for advanced cartilage regeneration. BST-CarGel® has received European CE mark approval. The Imaging business at Piramal was recently created through the acquisition of worldwide rights for a molecular imaging research and development portfolio of Bayer Pharma. The portfolio includes rights to Florbetaben, a specialised molecule used in PET (Positron Emission Tomography)imaging to detect Beta-amyloid plaque which is a widely recognised marker for Alzheimer’s disease.
Piramal | Capital
Piramal | Capital, the financial services unit of Piramal Enterprises, comprises three entities: Indiareit Fund Advisors which is the real estate private equity arm of Piramal Enterprises. The total fund size under management for these funds is Rs. 43 billion. The Financial Services firm provides funding support for developments in the real estate and education sector. The non-banking financial company (NBFC) provides debt funding support for real estate, education related infrastructure, hospital projects and medical equipment. The firm has a loan book of over Rs. 10 billion and focus on 4 cities – Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, and Chennai. The Structured Investment division is focused at investing in structured investment deals. At present, the division has invested in two infrastructure project – one on road development and second in renewable energy.
Decision Resources Group
Piramal Enterprises acquired Decision Resources Group (DRG) in May 2012 for US$635 million (~Rs. 34 billion). Decision Resources Group provides high quality, web-enabled research, predictive analytics via proprietary databases and consulting services to the global healthcare industry. DRG is focused on three market segments namely bio-pharma, market access and medical technology.
- BSE 2010 Data
- "Piramal Healthcare to Acquire Anaesthetic Products Business". Express Healthcare. May 2010 .
- "OTC"."Piramal Healthcare eyeing OTC acquisitions". Mint and the Wall Street Journal. 19 October 2010.
- "Piramal eyes more acquisitions in pharma, sets up M&A team". Mint and Wall Street Journal. 5 June 2012.
- "How Piramal Healthcare is trying to build an entire business around discovering new drugs". The Economic Times. 17 May 2012.
- "Piramal gets EU nod for orthopaedic product BST-Cargel". Business Today. 12 April 2012.
- "Piramal to Buy Molecular Imaging Portfolio of Bayer". The Wall Street Journal. 16 April 2012.
- "PE arm of Piramal Enterprises Indiareit Fund Advisors to invest 250 crore in two projects". The Economic Times. 21 January 2013.
- "Piramal Group plans to build Rs 15k crore financial services business". The Economic Times. 18 April 2013.
- "Cash rich Piramal set to invest Rs 1000 crore in road and renewable energy projects". The Economic Times. 3 April 2013.
- "Piramal acquires Decision Resources Group, US analytics company, for $635 mn". The Econimic Times. 17 May 2012.