Riverdale Collegiate Institute
|Riverdale Collegiate Institute|
Studia Adolescentiam Alunt
Education Nourishes Youth
|1094 Gerrard Street East
Riverdale, Toronto, Ontario, M4M 2A1, Canada
|School number||5555 / 939080|
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(Toronto Board of Education)
|Area trustee||Cathy Dandy|
|Vice Principals||Rebekah Tsingos
|School type||Public High school|
|Team name||Riverdale Raiders|
|Colours||Red and Blue|
|Newspaper||The Riverdale Spectator|
|Homepage||Riverdale Collegiate Institute|
Riverdale Collegiate Institute (also called Riverdale CI, RCI, or Riverdale) is a high school located at Toronto, Ontario, Canada owned and operated by the Toronto Board of Education until its merger in 1998 into the Toronto District School Board.
History and Overview
Riverdale CI was founded in 1907 and was at that time on the outskirts of the city. It was extensively renovated in the 1990s but the original facade was maintained. It is the academic school for lower east end Toronto.
On May 17, 2006, the first annual United Games were hosted at Riverdale. This was a day-long event also including students from Eastern Commerce Secondary School, Monarch Park Collegiate and Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute. Former NBA star Jerome Williams acted as principal for the day. His activities included a presentation speaking out against violence, barbecuing lunch with students, and overseeing games designed to build relationships between the schools by forming teams with students from all four schools, rather than having a team for each school. In 1994 Al Pacino visited the school to do a motivation speech while he was shooting a movie in Toronto.
Riverdale provides numerous sports teams and clubs throughout the year. Some big sports include field hockey, swim team, cross country,track and field, volleyball, synchronized swimming, basketball, soccer, ice hockey and badminton. There are also many clubs including The Girls Athletic Association (GAA), The Boys Athletic Association (BAA), Free the Children, Riverdale Against Discrimination (RAD), and the Chinese Culture Club.
Riverdale Collegiate celebrated its centennial on May 12, 2007.
- Carl Brewer - ice hockey
- Morley Callaghan - writer
- Gordon Sinclair - writer and TV personality
- Michael Ironside - actor
- Al Sims - ice hockey player and coach
- Ron Stewart - Canadian football league player
- John Cannis - politician
- Billy Harris - hockey player
- Robert S. Kenny - politician
- Lincoln Alexander - politician
- Jane Creba, victim of the notorious Boxing Day shooting, was also a student of the school.
- Punch Imlach - Hall of Fame ice hockey coach and general manager
In film and television
- Flashpoint - in 2009, the interior of Riverdale Collegiate was used as the interior of the high school "Wellesley Collegiate" in the Flashpoint episode "Perfect Storm".
- Overruled! - the exterior of Riverdale Collegiate Institute was used as the exterior of the high school "Banting High" in Disney's Overruled!.
- Rookie Blue
- Media Advisory - Raptors' Williams to serve as Riverdale CI Principal tomorrow - Raptors Lead to Achieve
- Reveille 2006, Pages 70-71 (School Yearbook)
- GlobeAndMail.com - Schools team up to fight violence