1977 Stanley Cup Finals
The 1977 Stanley Cup Final championship series was contested by the Boston Bruins and the defending champion Montreal Canadiens. The Bruins were making their first appearance in the final series since their loss in the 1974 final. The Canadiens would win the best-of-seven series four games to none, to win their second straight Stanley Cup.
Paths to the final
|May 7||Montreal Canadiens||7–3||Boston Bruins||Montreal Forum|
|(Guy Lapointe, Yvon Lambert) Doug Risebrough – 1:45
(Doug Jarvis, Larry Robinson) Yvon Lambert – 4:23
(Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard) Mario Tremblay – 14:35
|First period||5:23 – Brad Park (Jean Ratelle)|
|(Guy Lafleur) Jacques Lemaire – 5:08||Second period||11:54 – Terry O'Reilly (Brad Park)
16:35 – Bobby Schmautz (Brad Park)
|(Murray Wilson, Peter Mahovlich) Rick Chartraw – 0:59
(Yvon Lambert, Peter Mahovlich) Mario Tremblay – 2:04
(Serge Savard, Doug Risebrough) Yvon Lambert – 13:58
|Third period||No scoring|
|May 10||Montreal Canadiens||3–0||Boston Bruins||Montreal Forum|
|(Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt) Peter Mahovlich – 7:43||First period||No scoring|
|(Steve Shutt, Guy Lafleur) Doug Risebrough – 12:07||Second period||No scoring|
|(Pierre Bouchard, Guy Lafleur) Steve Shutt – 5:40||Third period||No scoring|
|May 12||Boston Bruins||2–4||Montreal Canadiens||Boston Garden|
|No scoring||First period||4:08 – Guy Lafleur (Guy Lapointe, Peter Mahovlich)
7:58 – Steve Shutt (Jacques Lemaire, Guy Lafleur)
18:29 – Jacques Lemaire (Guy Lapointe, Guy Lafleur)
|(Wayne Cashman, Rick Middleton) Gregg Sheppard – 6:32||Second period||No scoring|
|(Brad Park, Rick Middleton) Peter McNab – 18:34||Third period||12:52 – Guy Lafleur (Steve Shutt, Jacques Lemaire)|
|May 14||Boston Bruins||1–2||OT||Montreal Canadiens||Boston Garden|
|(Brad Park) Bobby Schmautz – 11:38||First period||No scoring|
|No scoring||Second period||1:34 – Jacques Lemaire (Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson)|
|No scoring||Third period||No scoring|
|No scoring||First overtime period||4:32 – Jacques Lemaire (Guy Lafleur)|
|Montreal won series 4–0|
Montreal Canadiens 1977 Stanley Cup champions
- † Serge Savard served as Captain, when Yvan Cournoyer missed the whole playoffs due to a back injury.
- Coaching and administrative staff
- Jacques Courtois (President), Sam Pollock (Vice President/General Manager)
- Jean Beliveau (Vice President – Director of Cooperate Relations), William Scotty Bowman (Head Coach)
- Peter Bronfman (Chairman/Owner/Director), Edward Bronfman (Executive Director/Owner)
- Claude Ruel (Director of Player Development), Floyd Curry (Asst. General Manager), Ron Caron (Asst. General Manager)
- Pierre Meilleur (Asst. Trainer), Eddy Palchak (Trainer)
Stanley Cup engraving
- Bob Gainey was misspelled on the Stanley Cup as ROBERT GAINY missing an "E". When the Replica Cup was created in 1992–93, ROBERT GAINEY was spelled correctly with 1977 Montreal.
- #2 Brian Engblom played 2 playoff games, no regular-season games and no games in the finals. His name was left off the cup, because he did not qualify.
- Diamond, Dan, ed. (2000). Total Stanley Cup. NHL.
- Podnieks, Andrew; Hockey Hall of Fame (2004). Lord Stanley's Cup. Triumph Books. ISBN 978-1-55168-261-7.
Stanley Cup champions