America's Next Top Model (cycle 18)
|America's Next Top Model (cycle 18)|
Cycle 18 cast
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Original network||The CW|
February 29– May 30, 2012
|No. of contestants||14|
The eighteenth cycle of America's Next Top Model (subtitled as America's Next Top Model: British Invasion) premiered on February 29, 2012 and was the twelfth season to air on The CW. It occupied the time slot of the final two scheduled episodes of Remodeled. It features fourteen models, placing seven British models who have competed in previous cycles of Britain's Next Top Model alongside seven all-new American model hopefuls in an overall competition.
The promotional catchphrase of the cycle was "The British Are Coming!" The promotional song for this cycle is Engerland (Fabio The Daddyo) by Blues Saraceno. The international destinations for this cycle were Toronto, Ontario, Canada (for one episode) and the special administrative regions of Macau and Hong Kong in China.
- 1 Show and prize changes
- 2 Casting
- 3 Contestants
- 4 Episode summaries
- 5 Summaries
- 6 Criticism
- 7 Post-Top Model careers
- 8 References
Show and prize changes
This was the first American edition of Top Model to be filmed and broadcast in high definition (HD) and fashion industry public relations maven Kelly Cutrone has replaced Vogue editor André Leon Talley in the role of judge (there was speculation in the media that Talley was fired by Tyra Banks) – the rest of the judging panel remained the same. Following this season, Jay Manuel, J. Alexander, and Nigel Barker were all fired from the show by Banks, with Manuel and Barker making their final appearances to date in the show, while J. Alexander later returned for the twenty-first cycle.
The prizes for this cycle were: A modeling contract with LA Models & NY Model Management, a guest correspondent placement with the Extra news magazine, a fashion spread in Vogue Italia, and both the cover and a spread in Beauty In Vogue, the face of the America’s Next Top Model fragrance "Dream Come True", production of a music composition that will be performed by the winner that will then be released as a record single by CBS Records and a US$100,000 contract with CoverGirl cosmetics. The Express fashion campaign was no longer a prize.
The eighteenth cycle of America's Next Top Model was subtitled "British Invasion", and featured seven contestants from previous cycles of Britain's Next Top Model for a second chance to win the title. Cycles 1 and 7 were unrepresented, cycles 2, 3, 4 and 6 were each represented by one contestant, and Cycle 5 was represented by three contestants. This was the second cross-over in the Top Model franchise, after Austria's Next Topmodel winner Larissa Marolt received a place on the fourth cycle of Germany's Next Topmodel as one of her prizes.
The returning contestants from Britain's Next Top Model and their prior placements are:
|Cycle 2||Jasmia Robinson||3rd place|
|Cycle 3||Louise Watts||Runner-up|
|Cycle 4||Catherine Thomas||Runner-up|
|Cycle 5||Ashley Brown||4th place|
|Annaliese Dayes||7th place|
|Cycle 6||Alisha White||Runner-up|
(ages stated are at start of contest)
|United Kingdom||Jasmia Robinson||24||5 ft 8.5 in (1.74 m)||London, England||Episode 1||14|
|United States||Mariah Watchman||20||N/A||Pendleton, Oregon||Episode 2||13|
|United Kingdom||Louise Watts||25||5 ft 8.5 in (1.74 m)||London, England||Episode 3||12 (quit)|
|United States||Candace Smith||22||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)||Brooklyn, New York||Episode 4||11|
|United Kingdom||Ashley Brown||22||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)||Armadale, Scotland||Episode 5||10|
|United States||AzMarie Livingston||24||5 ft 9.75 in (1.77 m)||Milwaukee, Wisconsin||Episode 6||9|
|United States||Kyle Gober||20||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)||Magnolia, Texas||Episode 7||8|
|United States||Seymone Cohen-Fobish||19||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)||Augusta, Georgia||Episode 8||7|
|United Kingdom||Catherine Thomas||22||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)||Folkestone, England||Episode 9||6|
|United States||Eboni Davis||18||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)||Seattle, Washington||Episode 10||5|
|United Kingdom||Alisha White||20||N/A||South London, England||4 (quit)|
|United Kingdom||Annaliese Dayes||24||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)||London, England||Episode 11||3|
|United States||Laura LaFrate||20||5 ft 10.5 in (1.79 m)||Scotia, New York||Episode 13||2|
|United Kingdom||Sophie Sumner||21||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)||Oxford, England||1|
No episode aired on April 4, 2012 due to the CW's broadcast of One Tree Hill series finale.
First aired February 29, 2012
- Special guests: Kelly Osbourne, Oliver Tolentino, Michael Buffer
First aired March 7, 2012
- Featured photographer: Douglas Friedman
- Special guests: Kris Jenner, Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner, Sally Hershberger, Victoria Recaño, Neeko, Amy Nadine
First aired March 14, 2012
- Featured photographer: Jerry Metellus
- Special guest: Cat Deeley
First aired March 21, 2012
First aired March 28, 2012
- Featured photographer: Miguel Jacob
- Special guests: Beverly Johnson, Kim Newport-Mimran, Jairo Betancur, Hans Koechling, Adam Taubenfligel, Travis Taddeo, Cassie Dee, Pao Lim, Danielle Martin, Jose Manuel St. Jacques, Simon Belanger, George Antonopoulos, Cynthia Florek, Erika Larva, Patrick Rahme, Anita Patrickson
Jessica Sutta & Nadine Coyle
First aired April 11, 2012
First aired April 18, 2012
- Featured photographer: Ben Shaul
- Special guest: Estelle
First aired April 25, 2012
- Featured photographer: Ann He
- Special guests: Georgina Chapman, Brownwyn Cosgrave, Phoebe Stephens, Annette Stephens, Sofia Sizzi, Julian Louie, Siki Im, Giovanna Bataglia, Derek Blasberg, Elizabeth Saltzman, Keren Craig, Francisco Costa
First aired May 2, 2012
- Featured photographer: Paul Tsang
- Special guests: Barney Cheng, Toby Leung, Isabel Augusto, Clement Chan, Anita Patrickson
First aired May 9, 2012
- Featured photographer: Nigel Barker
- Special guest: Nicholas Tse, Anita Patrickson
First aired May 16, 2012
- Featured photographer: Jez Smith
- Special guest: Ben Bennett, William Tang, Gregory Derham, Henry Lau, Marisa Zeman, Evelyn Ho, Marco Chan, Anita Patrickson
First aired May 23, 2012
- Special guest: Anansa Sims
First aired May 30, 2012
- Featured Photographer: Jez Smith
- Special guest: Valentina Serra
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant quit the competition
- The contestant was part of a non-elimination bottom four
- The contestant won the competition
- In episode 3, Louise would have been called 8th had she not quit the competition. After revealing this, Tyra asked Alisha, Ashley, Candace, and Eboni to step forward and announced that they were all safe.
- In episode 10, Alisha quit the competition after Eboni's elimination.
- Episode 12 was the recap episode.
Photo Shoot Guide
- Episode 1 photo shoot: American vs. British public figures
- Episode 2 photo shoot: Toddlers of Kris Jenner
- Episode 3 photo shoot: Very.com trends campaign
- Episode 4 photo shoot: Posing with British hats and American cars
- Episode 5 photo shoot: Covered in maple leaves and syrup
- Episode 6 music video: Booty Tooch group video
- Episode 7 photo shoot: Art installments at a dinner party hosted by Estelle
- Episode 8 photo shoot: Hello Kitty couture
- Episode 9 photo shoot: Wearing silk gowns with silkworms
- Episode 10 photo shoot: Harnessed on the Macau Tower
- Episode 11 photo shoot: Dream Come True fragrance in a life-sized bottle
- Episode 13 photo shoot & commercial: CoverGirl Blast Flipstick commercial and print ad, and Beauty in Vogue spread
- Alisha – Black brown weave with one side shaved
- Annaliese – Crazy teased weave, later; weave removed
- Ashley – Strawberry blunt cut
- AzMarie – Shaved design
- Candace – Extra long weave
- Catherine – Magenta pink
- Eboni – Straight brown weave with bangs
- Kyle – Strawberry blonde with bangs
- Laura – Dyed platinum blonde with blue & red clip-in extensions
- Louise – Beige blunt cut
- Mariah – Ombre with bangs
- Seymone – Milk chocolate weave
- Sophie – Cotton candy pink and bleached eyebrows
During filming, an argument took place between judge Kelly Cutrone and contestant Louise Watts, resulting in Watts voluntarily leaving the show. Following transmission of the episode, Cutrone posted mocking videos to Watts online, and came under fire from fans of the show who accused her of cyberbullying.
Post-Top Model careers
- Ashley Brown has been signed with The Model Team Scotland.
- Seymone Cohen-Fobish has done some test shots and has been signed with L.A. Models.
- Eboni Davis has been participated in several runway shows and is signed with Fusion Models Cape Town South Africa and SMG Model Management.
- Kyle Gober became the face of Ghost Enchanted Bloom fragrance.
- Annaliese Dayes has been signed with Reality Check Management and Zone Model Management in London and has also done some hosting and corresponding work.
- Laura LaFrate has been signed with Woman Model Management in New York and Paragon Model Management in Mexico City and has modeled for TMD Studios. She will also appeared in a movie and a music video with Nicholas Tse in Hong Kong as a part of her challenge win in episode 10. She is also developing a clothing line, earned her skydiving license and has also done some TV commercials.
- AzMarie Livingston has been on a cover in various magazines and is currently signed with Bookings Models in London. She also participated in fashion shows, including London Fashion Week and BET's Rip the Runway and appeared in the music video of Motivation by Kelly Rowland. She currently appears as "Chicken" in the Fox drama Empire.
- Jasmia Robinson has been signed with Charles & Ko Models and is also the face of the UK hair brand Sensationnel.
- Candace Smith has done a few test shots, did a cover for Essence Magazine and is now searching for an agency. She also appeared in the 2014 film, Heaven is for Real as a pay clerk.
- Sophie Sumner has collected her prizes and has been signed with LA Models & NY Model Management. She also remains signed to Storm Model Management in London, who she was signed with prior to her appearance on ANTM. Her debut single, 'Aiming For You' is now on iTunes. Sumner has stated that she is moving to the States and is currently deciding whether to move to New York City or Los Angeles. She is also currently active in raising funds for Breast Cancer Research with the help of her pink dog, Darcy. She created a fund raising page on a website of Cancer Research UK which she named PinkDarcyDog. She also modeled for Bench in "Bench Universe" in the Philippines with Allison Harvard & Dominique Reighard and Bench for Philippine Fashion Week. She also made the cover of the December 2012 – January 2013 issue of Meg Magazine on the same country. She also did a photo shoot in Hong Kong, Singapore, South Africa and France. She appeared in the season finale of Asia's Next Top Model, Cycle 1 as the opening of the final runway challenge. Sophie is set to appear in a new E4 reality show called Taking New York that follows a group of Brits living in New York and trying to pursue their dreams 
- Catherine Thomas has been signed with Model Division and appeared in various magazines including – Heat, Sunday, You, Closer, Look and Reveal. She also appeared in the music video In One Ear by Cage The Elephant.
- Mariah Watchman has been signed with Wilhelmina Panama.
- Louise Watts has been signed with Hughs Models in London.
- Alisha White has been signed with International Fashion & Model Agency and has done several test shots. She has also walked for Harvey Nichols fashion show in London.
- "The British are coming!; America's Next Top Model: British Invasion premiered Wednesday, February 29". The CW. February 9, 2012. Retrieved February 9, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "'America's Next Top Model' Lisa D'Amato Q&A: 'Being a mentor was fun'". Digital Spy. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Nessif, Bruna. "America's Next Top Model: British Invasion Finale: Who Claimed Victory?". Eonline.com. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Lo, Danica (February 29, 2012). "Kelly Cutrone on Judging America's Next Top Model: "If I Keep Smacking Down, We Might Not Have Any Girls Left."". Glamour. Retrieved March 1, 2012.
- Molly Friedman (February 28, 2012). "Will Kelly Cutrone and Tyra Banks Butt Heads on New ANTM Cycle 18 Judges' Panel?" (Web page). wetpaint.com. Wetpaint Entertainment. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "America's Next Top Model Bloodbath: J. Alexander, Jay Manuel and Nigel Barker Get the Ax". E Online. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "Nigel Barker, J Alexander, Jay Manuel leave 'America's Next Top Model'". Digital Spy. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "About Cycle 18 Of America's Next Top Model". The CW. February 9, 2012. Archived from the original on October 12, 2007. Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- Kirsch, Becky. "Meet the Ladies of America's Next Top Model: British Invasion". Popsugar.com. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "America's Next Top Model Cast | Bios | Laura". Archived from the original on February 24, 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- "Listings – TheFutonCritic.com – The Web's Best Television Resource".
- "Listings – TheFutonCritic.com – The Web's Best Television Resource".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 8, 2013. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- FuckMathVEVO (March 17, 2012). "Kelly Cutrone's Response To Louise Watts!!" – via YouTube.
- "Kelly Cutrone on 'ANTM: British Invasion' Quitter Louise: My PR Minions Will 'Take Her Down'".
- The Model Team Scotland – Ashley Brown – Fahion Model
- "FUSION MODELS – – portfolio".
- Ebonee Davis – SMG Models
- "Ghost – Enchanted Bloom Fragrance-Kyle Gober".
- Annaliese Dayes – Zone Models
- Annaliese – Reality Check Management in London
- Laura LaFrate – Life after ‘Top Model’
- "Home – T.M.D Photography".
- Bookings Models – AzMarie Livingston
- "AzMarie Livingston is on Ilene Chaiken's new show "Empire" – AfterEllen". September 9, 2014.
- "Jasmia Robinson – Fashion Model – Charles and Ko Models".
- "NEW YORK MODELS".
- "LA MODELS".
- "Sophie Sumner – Storm Models".
- "America's Next Top Model Archives – Wetpaint, Inc".
- "PinkDarcyDog – Cancer Research UK".
- "Taking New York: 8 things to know". February 9, 2015.
- "Model Division – Catherine Thomas".
- Wilhelmina Panama – Mariah Watchman
- "Hughes Models, London – Hughes Models – Plus Size, curvy models in London".
- "My Life".