Anna Sorokin (born January 23, 1991), better known as Anna Delvey, is a Russian-German woman who was involved in the socialite scene in Manhattan. In 2018, she was charged with multiple counts of grand larceny for allegedly scamming wealthy New York City business acquaintances and several hotels.
Early life and education
Sorokin was born in Russia, and her family moved to Germany in 2007 when she was 16. She attended high school in Eschweiler, near the German-Belgian-Dutch border, and was described by classmates as a quiet girl who had a difficult time with the German language. Sorokin graduated from high school in 2011 and then moved to London to attend the Central Saint Martins art school, but dropped out and returned to Germany.
Sorokin started as an intern at a public relations firm in Germany and then moved to Paris to become an intern for Purple, a French fashion, art and culture magazine and soon changed her name to Anna Delvey.
Arrests and fame
In 2017, she was arrested on six charges of grand larceny for allegedly scamming wealthy New York City business acquaintances and several hotels. According to the Manhattan District Attorney's office, the damage might be as high as $275,000.
Delvey initially faced three counts of misdemeanour theft of services due to complaints regarding stays at the Beekman Hotel and the W Downtown as well as a meal at the Parker Méridien hotel in New York.
Her life as one of Manhattan's socialites has been covered prominently before and after her arrest. In 2018, New York published a profile about her life, business dealings, and arrest. Shonda Rhimes acquired the rights to the New York magazine profile and is developing a Netflix Original series based on it. Lena Dunham is reported to be working on a separate project about Delvey, based on an account in Vanity Fair.
On December 18, 2018, Delvey appeared in New York City Criminal Court and rejected a plea deal that would have her released from jail and deported back to Germany in early 2019. Delvey decided to go to trial and a February 25, 2019 date has been set by Judge Diane Kiesel.
- "anna delvey foundation - Official Press Release from the DA". anna delvey foundation. Retrieved 2019-02-18.
- Pressler, Jessica (2018-05-28). "Maybe She Had So Much Money She Just Lost Track of It". The Cut (New York (magazine)). New York Media, LLC. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- Williams, Rachel DeLoache (2018-04-13). ""She Paid for Everything": How a Fake Heiress Made My $62,000 Disappear". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- Brown, Ruth (2018-05-29). "Wannabe socialite claims Rikers isn't that bad". New York Post. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "DA Vance Announces Indictment of Repeat Scammer for Multiple Thefts Totaling $275,000". Manhattan District Attorney's Office. 2017-10-26. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- Rosenberg, Rebecca (2017-07-31). "Wannabe socialite busted for skipping out on pricey hotel bills". New York Post. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- Otterson, Debra Birnbaum,Joe (2018-06-08). "Shonda Rhimes Sets Anna Delvey Series as First Netflix Project". Variety. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Davis, Allison P. (November 25, 2018). "Lena Dunham Comes to Terms With Herself". The Cut. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- Goldberg, Noah (2018-12-18). "Accused socialite con artist rejects plea, heads to trial". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2018-12-19.