April 2, 1943 |
|Education||M.A. (Sociology 1980), M.A. (English 1986), Ph.D. (1985), D.Litt. (1994)|
|Alma mater||Patna University|
|Known for||Founding Sulabh International
and social reform in India
Bindeshwar Pathak (Hindi: बिंदेश्वर पाठक) is an Indian sociologist. He is the founder of Sulabh International, an India-based social service organization which works to promote human rights, environmental sanitation, non-conventional sources of energy, waste management and social reforms through education.He is the Brand Ambassador for Swachh Rail Mission of Indian Railways. His work is considered pioneering in social reform, especially in the field of sanitation and hygiene. He received various national and international awards for his work with this organization.
Bindeshwar Pathak graduated in Sociology in 1964. He earned his master's degree in 1980 and his PhD in 1985, from the University of Patna. A prolific writer and speaker, Pathak has authored several books, the most well-known of which is The Road to Freedom, and is a frequent participant in conferences on sanitation, health and social progress around the world.
Movement for Sanitation and Hygiene
He first came to understand the plight of scavengers in 1968 when he joined the Bhangi-Mukti (scavengers’ liberation) Cell of the Bihar Gandhi Centenary Celebrations Committee. During that time, he traveled throughout India, living with scavenger families as part of his Ph.D. research. Drawing on that experience, he resolved to take action, not only out of sympathy for the scavengers but also in the belief that scavenging is a dehumanizing practice that would ultimately have a destructive impact on modern Indian society.
He established the Sulabh International Social Service Organization in 1970, combining technical innovation with humanitarian principles. The organization works to promote human rights, environmental sanitation, non-conventional sources of energy, waste management and social reforms through education. The organization counts 50,000 volunteers. He has made innovative use of biogas creation by linking Sulabh toilets to fermentation plants, he had designed over three decades ago and which are now becoming a byword for sanitation in developing countries all over the world. One of the distinctive feature of Pathak's project lies in the fact that besides producing odour-free bio-gas, it also releases clean water rich in phosphorus and other ingredients which are important constituents of organic manure. His sanitation movement ensures cleanliness and prevents greenhouse gas emission.
Awards and Honours
Bindeshwar Pathak is a Padma Bhushan recipient from the Government of India. In 2003, his name was added to the Global 500 Roll of Honour. Bindheshwar Pathak also received the Energy Globe Award, the Dubai International Award for Best Practices, and the Indira Gandhi Priyadarshini Award for Environment. Stockholm Water Prize was awarded to him in year 2009. In June, 2013, he also received the Legend of Planet award from the French senate in Paris, ahead of World Environment Day. Antarrashtriya Bhojpuri Samman was awarded to him in the 4th world Bhojpuri Sammelan in Port Louis.
In January, 2011, Dr Pathak was invited to deliver a lecture at the Cambridge Union,a debating society of the University of Cambridge. The lecture was well received by the students where Dr Pathak urged the students to join voluntary work in the field of sanitation. Known for its debating culture, the Cambridge Union Society is the oldest student debating society in the world and Cambridge University's largest.
In April 2016, Mayor of New York (Mr. Bill De Blasio), declared 14 April 2016 as DR. BINDESHWAR PATHAK DAY. On January 17th, 2017, Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak received the Distinguished Engineer award from the Rocheston Accreditation Institute, New York. 
In recognition of the pioneering work done by Sulabh International Social Service Organization, Dr. Pathak has received the following awards:
- CNN-News 18 Indian of the Year, 2015 Outstanding Achievement Award, 2016 by CNN India
- Humanitarian Award of the New York Global Leaders Dialogue, 2016
- Public Health Champions Awards by World Health Organisation (WHO), 2016
- Goyal Peace Prize by Kurukshetra University, 2015
- Amity Lifetime Achievement Award by Amity University, 2015
- Lord Baden Powell National Award, 2015
- Sardar Patel Award-2014 by Sardar Vallabh bhai Patel Foundation, 2015
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Sanitation for All: Toilet First by India CSR Group, 2015
- Vivekanand Seva Samman Award by Shree Burra bazar Kumar sabha Pustakalaya, 2015
- Power Thinkers Award for services to humanity by Personality Plus International, 2015
- Lifetime Achievement Award for contribution in the field of Sanitation by Lucknow Book Fair, 2015
- Mother Teresa Memorial Award by Indian Development Foundation (IDF), 2014
- The 'NGO Leadership and Excellence Award' by the World CSR Congress, 2014
- The International Banga Moni Award by the Micheal Madhusudan Academy, 2014
- The Late Madan Mohan Verma Smriti Sammaan by the Journalist Association of Electronic and Print, 2014
- National Health Care Promotion Award by Heart Care Foundation of India, 2013
- Lifetime Achievement Award by ABP News, 2013
- Lifetime Achievement Award by Rotary Club of Madras, 2013
- LEGENDE DE LA PLANETE Congres Fondateur Jeux Ecologiques at UNESCO, Paris, 2013
- Lifetime Achievement Award by V World Aqua Congress, 2011
- Bhagirath Alankaran by Ganga Seva Nidhi, 2011
- National Award for Innovations in the Services for the Urban Poor by The India Urban Space Foundation, 2010
- Bihar Ratna Award, 2010
- Sanitation Visionary Award by World Toilet Organisation, 2009
- FACE Award 2008 by FACE magazine, 2009
- Sat Paul Mittal Award, 2009
- Vishwa Bhojpuri and Indian Diaspora Sammaan, 2009
- Stockholm Water Prize, Sweden, 2009
- Inter-governmental Renewable Energy Organisation Award (IREO), New York, USA, 2009
- Hall of Fame Award by World Toilet Organisation at World Toilet Summit, Macau, China, 2008
- Rashtriya Gaurav Award by Citizen Forum of Human Rights, 2008
- National Energy Globe Award by Energy Globe, Brussels, Belgium, 2008
- Hindi Vachaspati Award by Rashtriya Hindi Parisad, 2008
- Aryavart Shikhar Samman by The Indian Nation Publication, 2007
- Bharat Gaurav Award by Citizen Forum of Human Rights, 2007
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Leadership in the Social Sector by Dr. P. N. Singh Foundation, 2007
- Maharana Uday Singh Award, 2006
- One India One People Foundation Award, 2006
- International Human Rights’ Award, 2006
- Sakshi Bharat Award, 2006
- AIWEFA Platinum Jubilee Award 2005
- Good Corporate Citizen Award, 2005
- Indira Gandhi Paryavaran Puraskar, 2003
- Scroll of Honour by UN-Habitat, Rio-de-Janeiro (Brazil), 2003
- Global 500 Roll of Honour Award by UNEP, Beirut (Lebanon), 2003
- Dubai International Award for ‘Best Practices for Improving the Living Environment’ by UNCHS, Dubai, 2000
- Samaj Ratna Award, 1999
- Distinguished Leadership Award, 1997
- Michael Madhusudan Dutt Award, 1997
- Babu Jag jivan Ram Award for Abolishing Scavenging, 1997
- Global Urban Best Practice by United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (UNCHS), Istanbul, 1996
- Limca Book of Records’ ‘Man of the Year Award’, 1995
- Vikas Ratna Award, 1995
- Manav Sewa Puraskar, 1995
- NRI Gold Award, 1994
- Indira Gandhi Priyadarshini Award, 1994
- Ratna Shiromani Award by India International Society for Unity, 1993
- Rotary International Spectra-93, Par Excellence Award for Protection of Environment, 1993
- Anne Mukhopadhya Award for Social Work, 1992
- Shahid Bhup Singh Award for Social Work, 1992
- Bombay Citizen’s Award, 1992
- Dr. Pinnamaneni and Smt. Seethadevi Foundation Award, 1992
- The International Saint Francis Prize for the Environment
- “Canticle of All Creatures”, Assisi, Italy, 1992
- National Citizens’ Award, 1991
- Padma Bhushan, 1991
- Civic Betterment Award, 1990–91
- Builders’ Information Bureau Award, 1990
- Prabandhak Mahan Muzzaffarpur, 1990
- K.P. Goenka Memorial Award, 1984
- "Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak, A Profile". Sulabh International. Archived from the original on 2014-06-23. Retrieved 12 Jun 2014.
- Profile of a national crusader Archived August 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved on August 14, 2007.
- Indian Sanitation Innovator and Social Reformer. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
- Profile, Aims & Objectives Archived August 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved on August 14, 2007.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 15, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Sulabh founder gets Energy Globe Award. Retrieved August 14, 2007.
- French Senate honours Sulabh founder with 'Legend of Planet' award
- Dr Bindeshwar Pathak get vishwa bhojpuri samman
- Special Correspondent (2010-12-13). "Sulabh founder invited to Cambridge". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- London, Jan 22 (PTI) (2011-01-22). "Join me, Sulabh founder urges Cambridge students". Deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "Dr. Pathak conferred upon Distinguished Engineer honor-Rocheston Accreditation Institute, NY". YouPAK.ME.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bindeshwar Pathak.|