|Education||M.A. (Sociology 1980), M.A. (English 1986), Ph.D. (1985), D.Litt. (1994)|
|Alma mater||Patna University|
|Known for||Founding Sulabh International|
and social reform in India
Bindeshwar Pathak is an Indian sociologist. He is the founder of Sulabh International, an India-based social service organization which works to promote human rights, environmental sanitation, non-conventional sources of energy, waste management and social reforms through education. He is the Brand Ambassador for Swachh Rail Mission of Indian Railways. His work is considered pioneering in social reform, especially in the field of sanitation and hygiene. He received various national and international awards for his work with this organization. He was presented with the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence in Public Administration, Academics and Management for the year 2017. He was conferred with Padma Bhushan, India's third-highest civilian award in 1991.
Bindeshwar Pathak graduated in Sociology in 1964. He earned his master's degree in 1980 and his PhD in 1985, from the University of Patna. A prolific writer and speaker, Dr. Pathak has authored several books, the most well-known of which is The Road to Freedom, and is a frequent participant in conferences on sanitation, health and social progress around the world.
Movement for Sanitation and Hygiene
He first came to understand the plight of scavengers in 1968 when he joined the Bhangi-Mukti (scavengers’ liberation) Cell of the Bihar Gandhi Centenary Celebrations Committee. During that time, he travelled throughout India, living with scavenger families as part of his Ph.D. research. Drawing on that experience, he resolved to take action, not only out of sympathy for the scavengers but also in the belief that scavenging is a dehumanising practice that would ultimately have a destructive impact on modern Indian society.He was a MP of Bhagalpur in Indian National Congress.
He established the Sulabh International Social Service Organization in 1970, combining technical innovation with humanitarian principles. The organization works to promote human rights, environmental sanitation, non-conventional sources of energy, waste management and social reforms through education. The organization counts 50,000 volunteers. He has made innovative use of biogas creation by linking Sulabh toilets to fermentation plants, he had designed over three decades ago and which are now becoming a byword for sanitation in developing countries all over the world. One of the distinctive feature of Pathak's project lies in the fact that besides producing odour-free bio-gas, it also releases clean water rich in phosphorus and other ingredients which are important constituents of organic manure. His sanitation movement ensures cleanliness and prevents greenhouse gas emission.
Bindeshwar Pathak is a Padma Bhushan recipient from the Government of India. In 2003, his name was added to the Global 500 Roll of Honour. Bindheshwar Pathak also received the Energy Globe Award, and the Dubai International Award for Best Practices. Stockholm Water Prize was awarded to him in year 2009. In June, 2013, he also received the Legend of Planet award from the French senate in Paris, ahead of World Environment Day. Antarrashtriya Bhojpuri Samman was awarded to him in the 4th world Bhojpuri Sammelan in Port Louis.
In January, 2011, Pathak was invited to deliver a lecture at The Cambridge Union, a debating society of the University of Cambridge in England. The lecture was well received by the students where Dr Pathak urged the students to join voluntary work in the field of sanitation.
On 12 July 2017, Pathak's book The Making of a Legend, on the life of Prime Minister Narendra Modi was launched in New Delhi.
He was named Indian Affairs Social Reformer Of The Year, 2017, at the 8th Annual India Leadership Conclave. Recently in june 2018 he was honored with nikkei asia prize for culture and community by Nikkei inc in tokyo , japan.
- "Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak, A Profile". Sulabh International. Archived from the original on 2014-06-23. Retrieved 12 Jun 2014.
- "Bindheswar Pathak Brand Ambassador of Swachh Rail Mission". The Indian Express. 2016-11-01. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- ANI (2017-10-10). "Pres Kovind presents Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award to Bindeshwar Pathak". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- Profile of a national crusader Archived 14 August 2007 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved on 14 August 2007.
- Indian Sanitation Innovator and Social Reformer Archived 4 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- Profile, Aims & Objectives Archived 14 August 2007 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved on 14 August 2007.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- Sulabh founder gets Energy Globe Award Archived 6 January 2007 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved 14 August 2007.
- "News: India News, Latest Bollywood News, Sports News, Business & Political News, National & International News - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Mohallalive.com". mohallalive.com. Archived from the original on 4 September 2009.
- Special Correspondent (2010-12-13). "Sulabh founder invited to Cambridge". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- London, (PTI) (22 January 2011). "Join me, Sulabh founder urges Cambridge students". Deccanherald.com. Archived from the original on 26 January 2011. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "April 14 declared as 'Bindeshwar Pathak Day' by New York Mayor". Indian Express. 16 April 2016. Archived from the original on 23 September 2017. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Book on Narendra Modi, The Making of a Legend, launched by Amit Shah, Mohan Bhagwat in Delhi". 12 July 2017. Archived from the original on 16 July 2017.
- "Sulabh Swachh Bharat". sulabhswachhbharat.com. Archived from the original on 18 September 2017. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "सुलभ शौचालय के जनक "डॉ बिंदेश्वर पाठक को निकेई एशिया पुरस्कार" के साथ सम्मानित किया गया।". atulyabihar.com. Retrieved 21 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bindeshwar Pathak.|