Candidates in the Philippine Senate election, 2013
These are the people who, at one time or another, had been considered, announced, declined or withdrew his or her candidacy in the Philippine Senate election, 2013.
These are the commission's approved candidates:
|#||Nominee||Coalition||Party||Prior elected position(s)||Gender||Town/city registered|
|1||Samson Alcantara||Social Justice Society||Male||Quezon City|
|2||Sonny Angara||Team PNoy||LDP||Representative from Aurora's Lone District, 2004-2013||Male||Baler, Aurora|
|3||Bam Aquino||Team PNoy||Liberal||Male||Quezon City|
|4||Greco Belgica||DPP||Councilor from Manila's 6th district, 2004-2007||Male||Manila|
|6||Teodoro Casiño||Makabayan||Makabayan||Representative of Bayan Muna party list, 2004-2013||Male||Makati|
|7||Alan Cayetano||Nacionalista||Councilor from Taguig's 1st district, 1992-1995
Representative from Taguig's 1st & Pateros's District, 1998-2007
Senator of the Philippines, 2007-2013
|8||Tingting Cojuangco||UNA||UNA||Governor of Tarlac, 1992-1998||Female||Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao|
|9||Rizalito David||Ang Kapatiran||Male||Makati|
|10||John Carlos de los Reyes||Ang Kapatiran||Councilor of Olongapo, 1995-1998, 2007-2010||Male||Olongapo|
|11||JV Ejercito Estrada||UNA||UNA||Mayor of San Juan, 2001-2010
Representative from San Juan, 2010-2013
|12||Jack Enrile||UNA||NPC||Representative from Cagayan's First District, 1998-2007, 2010-2013||Male||Aparri, Cagayan|
|13||Chiz Escudero||Independent||Representative from Sorsogon's 1st District, 1998-2007
Senator of the Philippines, 2007-2013
|Male||Sorsogon City, Sorsogon|
|15||Richard J. Gordon||UNA||UNA||Delegate to the Constitutional Convention from Zambales, 1971-1972
Mayor of Olongapo, 1980-1986
Senator of the Philippines, 2004-2010
|16||Edward Hagedorn||Independent||Mayor of Puerto Princesa, 1992-2001, 2002-2013||Male||Puerto Princesa|
|17||Gringo Honasan||UNA||UNA||Senator of the Philippines, 1995-2004, 2007-2013||Male||Marikina|
|18||Risa Hontiveros||Team PNoy||Akbayan||Representative of Akbayan party list, 2004-2010||Female||Quezon City|
|19||Loren Legarda||NPC||Senator of the Philippines, 1998-2004, 2007-2013||Female||Malabon|
|20||Marwil Llasos||Ang Kapatiran||Sangguniang Kabataan chairman of Tagas, Daraga, Albay, 1995-1996||Male||Daraga, Albay|
|21||Ernesto Maceda||UNA||UNA||Councilor of Manila, 1959-1966
Senator of the Philippines, 1971-1972, 1987-1998
|22||Jamby Madrigal||Liberal||Senator of the Philippines, 2004-2010||Female||Quezon City|
|23||Mitos Magsaysay||UNA||UNA||Representative from Zambales' First District, 2005-2013||Female||Olongapo|
|24||Ramon Magsaysay Jr.||Liberal||Representative from Zambales' Lone District, 1965-1969
Senator of the Philippines, 1995-2007
|25||Ramon Montaño||Independent||Male||San Jose, Negros Oriental|
|27||Koko Pimentel||PDP-Laban||Senator of the Philippines, 2011-2013||Male||Cagayan de Oro|
|28||Grace Poe||Independent||Female||San Juan|
|29||Christian Señeres||DPP||Representative of BUHAY Partylist, 2003-2007||Male||Las Piñas|
|30||Antonio Trillanes||Team PNoy||Nacionalista||Senator of the Philippines, 2007-2013||Male||Caloocan|
|31||Eddie Villanueva||Bangon Pilipinas||Male||Bocaue, Bulacan|
|32||Cynthia Villar||Nacionalista||Representative from Las Piñas' Lone District, 2001–2010||Female||Las Piñas|
|33||Migz Zubiri||UNA||UNA||Representative from Bukidnon's Third District, 1998-2007
Senator of the Philippines, 2007-2011
The following individuals have submitted their certificates of candidacies to the Commission on Elections main office at Intramuros, Manila, but were not included in the official list of candidates.
|Salam Ed Lacanluisong Tagean, Sr.||Independent|
|Valeriano Nocon III||Independent|
|Eduardo Syama-Sundar-Das Fernandez||Independent|
|Johnny Cris Sy||Independent|
|Ericson Eli Felix||Independent|
|Benjamin Handumon, Jr.||Independent|
|Virgilio Gundayao (WITHDRAWN CANDIDACY)||KBL|
|Francis Leo Marcos||Independent|
|Victorio Angelo Cadag||Independent|
|Byron Adriano Gorostiza||Independent|
|Severo Maluenda, Jr.||Independent|
|Wenceslao Pancho, Jr.||KBL|
|Alfonso Talag, Jr.||Independent|
- VirGILio "Gil" G. Gundayao, FRIPA, withdrawn candidacy which was given due course by the COMELEC (Resolution No. 9551). Mr. Gundayao is an HR expert, Mediator/Professor, who was formerly officer of the CSC (Mamamayan Muna, Hindi Mamaya Na!, and past Natl. Exec. Director of Junior Chamber International (JCI) Philippines. He is a candidate of Doctor in Public Administration (DPA) from PUP—with his BBM, MBA/MPA as feathers in his cap.
- Ruffy Biazon (Liberal), incumbent Commissioner of the Bureau of Customs and 2010 senatorial candidate. He was among the first four announced candidates of the Liberal Party. In the following weeks since, however, he was not certain of his candidacy. On September 25, he announced that he will not run for the Senate in 2013 and will stay instead at the BOC. His father, former Senator and incumbent Muntinlupa Rep. Rodolfo Biazon is seen as his replacement in the LP ticket.
- Joey de Venecia (PDP-Laban), businessman, whistleblower of the Philippine National Broadband Network controversy and 2010 senatorial candidate. He is among the first five bets of the UNA coalition.
- Gwendolyn Garcia (PDP-Laban/One Cebu), incumbent Governor of Cebu. She was included in the UNA ticket after she took her oath as member of PDP-Laban on May 25, 2012. On September 20, Vice President Jejomar Binay announced that Garcia will run for the House of Representatives instead.
- Sherwin Gatchalian (NPC), incumbent Mayor of Valenzuela`. He was on the shortlist of the LP-NP-NPC coalition ticket. He withdrew his Senatorial plans September 25.
- Alma Moreno (Lakas-CMD), actress, incumbent Councilor of Parañaque, and national president of the Philippine Councilors League. She announced her candidacy on May 15, 2011, but withdrew on September 5 after it was announced that Moreno is suffering from multiple sclerosis.
- Danton Remoto, chairman emeritus of Ang Ladlad, an LGBT political party. On May 18, he announced his intention to run for the Senate. But, he did not file his certificate of candidacy at COMELEC.
- Lorenzo Tañada III (Liberal), incumbent Representative from Quezon and Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives. He was included in the LP slate shortlist, but volunteered to withdraw from the race, according to Pres. Aquino III.
- Joel Villanueva, incumbent Secretary-General of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority. He was among the first four announced candidates of the Liberal Party. On September 24, he announced that he was advised by Pres. Benigno Aquino III not to run for any elective position, and instead remain in TESDA for the time being.
- Israel Virgines (Bangon Pilipinas), stating that his party is giving way "to a more capable leader".
The following individuals have been speculated as probable senatorial candidates, but have denied interest publicly.
- Florencio Abad, incumbent Secretary of Budget and Management
- Oscar V. Cruz, retired Archbishop of Lingayen-Dagupan
- Sara Duterte, incumbent Mayor of Davao City
- Gary Estrada, actor and incumbent Provincial Board member of Quezon
- Lani Mercado, incumbent Representative from Cavite chose to defend her seat in the House of Representatives.
- Leni Robredo, widow of former Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo chose to run for Camarines Sur's 2nd district's seat in the House of Representatives
- Mar Roxas, incumbent Secretary of Department of Interior and Local Government, former Senator, and 2010 vice-presidential candidate
- Adel Tamano, lawyer, talk show host, and 2010 senatorial candidate
- Gilbert Teodoro, former Secretary of National Defense and 2010 presidential candidate
The following individuals have been speculated as probable senatorial candidates, but did not run:
- Rodolfo Biazon, incumbent Representative from Muntinlupa, chose to defend his seat for Representative from Muntlnlupa's district instead.
- Neric Acosta, former Representative from Bukidnon and 2010 senatorial candidate
- Rodolfo Antonino, incumbent Representative from Nueva Ecija
- Kris Aquino, television host and actress
- Raul Bacalzo, retired Director General and former Chief of the Philippine National Police
- Ricky Carandang, incumbent Secretary of the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office
- Leila de Lima, incumbent Secretary of Justice
- Mike Enriquez, GMA-7 news broadcaster
- Rodolfo Fariñas, incumbent Representative from Ilocos Norte
- Roilo Golez, incumbent Representative from Parañaque
- Edwin Lacierda, incumbent Presidential Spokesman
- Danilo Lim, incumbent Deputy Commissioner for Intelligence of the Bureau of Customs, retired brigadier general, and 2010 senatorial candidate
- Imee Marcos, incumbent Governor of Ilocos Norte, chose to run for the governorship of Ilocos Norte instead.
- Grace Padaca, former Governor of Isabela, was appointed commissioner of the Commission on Elections instead.
- Manuel L. Quezon III, incumbent Undersecretary of the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office,
- Roman Romulo, incumbent Representative from Pasig. chose to defend his seat for Representative from Pasig's district instead.
- Joey Salceda, incumbent Governor of Albay
- Korina Sanchez, ABS-CBN news broadcaster
- Vic Sotto, Celebrity & Host 
- Niel Tupas, Jr., incumbent Representative from Iloilo, chose to defend his seat for Representative from Iloilo's 5th district instead.
- "CERTIFIED LIST OF CANDIDATES FOR SENATOR" (PDF). Commission on Elections. 2013-01-21. Retrieved 2013-02-01.
- "LIST OF PERSONS WHO FILED THEIR CERTIFICATES OF CANDIDACY FOR SENATOR". Commission on Elections (Philippines). 2012-10-05. Retrieved 2012-10-08.
- Legaspi, Amita (2012-05-17). "PNoy reveals 4 sure LP senatorial bets for 2013". GMA News. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Macaraig, Ayee (2012-05-17). "Two of PNoy's senatorial bets still undecided". Rappler.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "Biazon drops Senate bid". Rappler.com. 2012-09-25. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Customs chief Biazon, Valenzuela Mayor Gatchalian forego senatorial bids". GMA News. 2012-09-25. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Clapano, Jose Rodel (2012-05-11). "UNA bares first 5 senatorial candidates". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Aning, Jerome (2012-05-09). "Joey de Venecia III gets job as executive vice president of PDP-Laban". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "Magsaysay, Gwen Garcia joining Binay's party". Rappler.com. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Gwen Garcia drops Senate bid". ABS-CBN News. 2012-09-20. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Malabanan, Jess (2012-01-26). "League lines up bets for senatorial race". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "Biazon, Gatchalian drop senatorial bids". SunStar.com. 2012-09-25. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Alma running for Senator". The Philippine Star. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Alma quits Senate bid, says daughter". Yahoo! Southeast Asia Newsroom. 2012-08-21. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Brosas, Alex (2012-09-06). "Health Condition Forces Alma Moreno To Drop Senatorial Bid". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Flores, Karen (2012-05-18). "Danton Remoto to run for Senate in 2013". ABS-CBNNews.com. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Ellera, Teresa (2012-05-07). "Tañada eyes Senate seat under Liberal Party". Sun.Star Bacolod. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Rep.Tañada confirms plan of running for senator". US News Las Vegas. 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Conde, Chichi (2012-10-01). "Erin Tanada volunteered to withdraw from 2013 senatorial elections, says Aquino". Interaksyon.com. Retrieved 2012-10-01.
- "PNoy asks Villanueva to stay at TESDA". ABS-CBN News. 2012-09-24. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Cayabyab, Marc (2012-12-20). "JIL's Bro. Eddie Villanueva replaces Virgines as Bangon Pilipinas senatorial bet". Retrieved 2012-12-20.
- Cruz, RG (2011-01-13). "Carandang, Enriquez possible LP Senate bets for 2013 - sources". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- Pedrasa, Ira (2012-04-26). "LP mulls bets for 2013 senatorial ticket". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2012-04-26.
- Dizon, David (2011-06-20). "Oscar Cruz for Senator?". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- Ducusin, Lee Ann P. (2011-06-24). "It's a joke". Journal. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- Suarez, KD (2012-03-28). "Senate? Not for me, says Sara Duterte". Rappler. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- Gonzales, Rommel (2011-11-12). "Gary Estrada wants to run for senator: "Tayo po'y nangangarap talaga... eto naman po'y libre."". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Alvarez, Kathrina (2012-04-17). "Lani Mercado won't join 2013 Senate race". Sun.Star. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Ronda, Rainier Allan (2011-04-19). "Mar says he has no plans for 2013, 2016". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- Pedresa, Ira (2011-07-08). "Adel Tamano leaves NP, quits politics". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- Galarpe, Karen (2010-05-21). "Gibo for senator in 2013--Facebook groups". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- Robles, Jojo A. (2010-10-20). "Gibo moves on". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- Calica, Aurea (2012-04-11). "LP, UNA may field common senatorial bets". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-04-13. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "lp2" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Dalangin-Fernandez, Lira (2012-04-09). "Binay-Estrada coalition? Liberal Party 'unfazed'". Interaksyon. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "Miriam: Bacalzo for senator, why not?". GMA News Online. 2011-01-17. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- Ho, Abigail L.; Montecillo, Paolo (2011-10-14). "De Lima offered slot in Liberal Party Senate slate". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- Canlas, Jomar (2011-10-14). "De Lima confirms plan to seek Senate seat in 2013". The Manila Times. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- Fernandez, Mandy (2012-06-26). "Ilocos Norte Rep. Fariñas, pinapatakbong senador sa 2013 polls". GMA News Online. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Jumilla, Lynda (2011-12-27). "PNoy names possible bets for 2013; Binay group not included". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Garcia, another Marcos in Senate?". Cebu Daily News. 2011-08-15. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- "PNoy, LP have initial list of 2013 bets". Rappler. 2012-04-24. Retrieved 2012-04-24.
- Ugalde, Manly M. (2011-09-29). "Salceda to run in 2013 Senate race". Bicol Mail. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Baldo, Gerry (2011-10-03). "Roxas eyes Speakership to launch presidential run". The Daily Tribune. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Senator Tito Sotto on brother Vic running in 2013 poll: "Napag-uusapan."". 2012-05-22. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Alvarez, Kathrina (2011-12-31). "7 House members who may seek a Senate seat". Sun.Star. Retrieved 2012-01-01.