Bangladesh University of Textiles
|বাংলাদেশ টেক্সটাইল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Motto||Knowledge is power|
|Established||1921 (upgraded to current form in 2010)|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Engr. Mashud Ahmed|
|Location||Tejgaon Industrial Area, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Campus||Urban, 11.67 acres|
|Colors||Magenta and White|
The Bangladesh University of Textiles or BUTEX, informally known as Textile Engineering University, is the first-ever and only public university in Bangladesh specializing in Textile Engineering. It is one of the nine PhD granting research universities of Bangladesh.
BUTEX is the only university in Bangladesh and South Asia that specializes in Textile Engineering. It meets the need for advanced textile engineering and technology education in Bangladesh and the world.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 2.1 Faculties and departments
- 2.2 Courses
- 2.3 Students
- 2.4 Admission procedures and entry requirements
- 3 Honours and University Gold Medal
- 4 Library
- 5 Research and consultancy
- 6 Students' welfare
- 7 Workshop and laboratory
- 8 Career prospects
- 9 Student life
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Though the university was established on 22 December 2010 by an ordinance of the Ministry of Education, government of Bangladesh, BUTEX has a long history.
British Weaving School
During the British colonial rule, in 1921 a weaving school was established in Narinda, Dhaka to provide textile technician education by offering artisan-level courses. It was named British Weaving School and later East Bengal Textile Institute, which was upgraded to offer diploma courses in textile technology and renamed East Pakistan Textile Institute in 1950. In 1960, the institute was transferred to its present campus at Tejgaon Industrial Area.
College of Textile Engineering & Technology
The erstwhile College of Textile Engineering & Technology had been an economically important institute under the administrative control of the Ministry of Education through Directorate of Technical Education which offered B.Sc. in Textile Technology/B.Sc. in Textile Engineering/B.Sc. in Textile Management courses as a constituent college of the University of Dhaka. The institute was established in 1950 offering diploma course in Textile Technology.
In 1978, the institute was upgraded into College of Textile Engineering & Technology and degree courses in Textiles under the University of Dhaka were introduced. Initially intake was only 60 per year and since the introduction of degree course, more than 2,800 Textile Engineers graduated from this institution. One of its former students, Dr. Mashiur Rahman who did his PhD from Leeds University, UK, is now working as professor, Textile Science department of University of Manitoba, Canada.
The birth of BUTEX
The Bangladesh textile industry is the most important industrial sector as more than 83% of export earnings comes from this sector. Equipping the textile industry with qualified manpower with updated technical knowledge, expertise and skill is essential in building the appropriate backward linkages at the shortest possible time to face the challenges of quota-free post-MFA period.
Considering the importance of textile education and research, the government of Bangladesh took initiatives to upgrade the College of Textile Engineering & Technology to a university. For this purpose, “Bangladesh Textile University Act, 2010" (Act no. 49, 2010) was passed by the Bangladesh National Assembly and the Honorable President gave consent to the act on 5 October 2010. (The Act was made effective from 22 December 2010 as per SRO No. 395-law/2010 date 20 December 2010 of the Ministry of Education. The Honorable Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, officially inaugurated BUTex on 15 March 2011.)
With the facilities and infrastructure, the academic program was started in three faculties and six departments.
On the other hand, a development project had been undertaken to upgrade the College of Textile Engineering & Technology to Bangladesh University of Textiles by enhancing the physical facilities of the institution.
(A meeting of the internal project evaluation committee of the Ministry of Education chaired by Secretary, Ministry of Education held on 08-09-2010 to consider the DPP of the proposed project submitted by the Directorate of Technical Education. As per decision of the meeting the name of the project was changed to “Establishment of Bangladesh University of Textiles” and (Annexure: VI), revised DPP had been submitted to the Ministry of Education which was sent to the MoF finance and Planning Commission. As per decision of the interministral committee for finalizing man-power requirement of the PIU, held on 21-03-2011 (Annexure: VII), the DPP had been revised. As the university had started functioning Directorate of Technical Education and was replaced by University Grand Commission as executing agency. The revised DPP was sent to the planning commission vide memo no. শিম/পরি শাঃ ৪/টেঃবিশ্বঃ/১৭/২০১০/৬৯৮ তারিখঃ ১১/০৭/২০১১ The planning commission vide memo no. পক/শিক্ষা/কাঃশিঃ/৯৮/২০১১/৮৮ তারিখঃ ৩১/১০/২০১১ (also DO letter from Finance Minister) informed the Ministry of Education that approval of the project was not possible in that financial year due to the shortage of funds, subject to the allocation of sufficient funds, the project may be considered in the next financial year. In that proposed DPP, the civil works had been estimated on the basis of 2008 PWD rate schedule and it was also necessary to revise the implementation period. According to advice of the Ministry of Education, the DPP had been revised with civil work estimation on the basis of PWD rate schedule Oct. 2011 and revised implementation schedule.)
At present, BUTex offers graduate programs in 13 specialization areas under five faculties to prepare its students for their careers.
A development project to improve infrastructure is under process for approval.
Faculties and departments
- Faculty of Textile Engineering
- Department of Yarn Engineering (YE)
- Department of Fabric Engineering (FE)
- Faculty of Textile Chemicals Engineering
- Department of Wet Process Engineering (WPE)
- Faculty of Fashion Design & Apparel Engineering
- Department of Apparel Engineering
- Department of Fashion & Design
- Faculty of Textile Management & Business Studies
- Department of Textile Engineering Management (TEM)
- Department of Industrial & Production Engineering (IPE)
- Faculty of Science & Engineering
|1||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Yarn Engineering)||80|
|2||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Fabric Engineering)||80|
|3||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Wet Processing Engineering)||80|
|4||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Apparel Engineering)||80|
|5||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Textile Engineering Management)||60|
|6||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Fashion & Design)||30|
|7||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Industrial & Production Engineering)||30|
|8||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Textile Machinery Design & Maintenance)||30|
|1||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Yarn Engineering)||15|
|2||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Fabric Engineering)||15|
|3||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Wet Process Engineering)||15|
|4||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Apparel Engineering)||15|
|5||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Textile Engineering Management)||15|
Approximately 1,380 students are enrolled, of which around 25% are female.
Since the introduction of the degree program, about 4,000 students have passed the B.Sc. in Textile Engineering from this institution.
Admission procedures and entry requirements
Admission to BUTex is highly competitive and needs a high academic attainment at the S.S.C. and H.S.C. level. Selection of the students for admission is made through an admission test of 200 marks and considering GPA of S.S.C. and H.S.C. or equivalent examinations (details in admission notice). Students get chance to take admission according to merit.
The requirements for admission test are:
- Students must be Bangladeshi by birth or legal immigration.
- S.S.C. or equivalent examination Passed from Science group and must obtaining 4.00 (without 4th subject) from any Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Education Board.
- H.S.C. or equivalent examination Passed from Science group of current academic year and must obtaining 4.00 (without 4th subject) and at least total GP 13.00 but individually not below grade point 3.50 in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Post-graduate courses (M.Sc. in Textile Engineering)
Post-graduate (M.Sc. in Textile Engineering) admission started from the session 2012-13 in BUTex, which is highly competitive and needs at least a 1st Class or equivalent CGPA in B.Sc. in Textile Engineering from any recognized university (Public/Private). Selection of the students for admission is made through an admission test of 100 marks (Details in admission notice). Students get chance to take admission according to merit.
Post-graduate courses (MBA in Textiles)
Post-graduate (MBA in Textiles) admission started from the session 2012-13 in BUTex, which is also highly competitive and needs at least a 1st Class or equivalent CGPA in B.Sc. in Textile Engineering from any recognized University (Public/Private) with at least 9 (nine) points through S.S.C to Master's level. Selection of the students for admission is made through an admission test (Details in admission notice). Students get chance to take admission according to merit.
Foreign students must apply to the Ministry of Education, Govt. of Bangladesh through Bangladeshi embassies in their own countries.
Academic year and medium of instruction
The academic sessions in BUTex begin on the 1st of July and ends on the 30th of June. The medium of instruction is English.
Honours and University Gold Medal
Students are awarded the degree with Honours if he/she has obtained cumulative GPA 3.75 or above.
University Gold Medal
The University Gold Medal is awarded to the students who secure the 1st position with cumulative GPA not below 3.75 in each department.
The university has a very rich collection of about 1,50,000 books and journals. These books and journals include technical and non-technical books. The library is open every working day from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Access is open to all but only teachers, students and staff of the university can borrow books.
Research and consultancy
The university offers a large range of consultancies focusing on the industry need. It allows testing, suggestion, research and upgradation of any textile raw materials or machinery. Mechanical instruments and textile automation related testing and support is also provided with high quality assurance. The university has a decade old fame for providing a huge number of textile industries with solutions and technical support.
BUTex runs a strong Students' Welfare Council that aims to protect students' right as well as helps the authority to form a well-organized student campus. The council is responsible for raising students' awareness towards their responsibilities, control any unwanted incident and help students build their career as industry leaders.
Workshop and laboratory
BUTes has 15 workshops and 84,000 sq. ft area for laboratories.
School workshops and laboratories are:
- The Yarn Laboratory provides knowledge of yarn preparing and engineering technology both short staple (cotton) and long staple (jute). The laboratory facilities includes conventional and modern machinery with new technology like open-end spinning and air-jet spinning.
- The Fabric Laboratory has facilities for weaving cotton, synthetic and jute fabric including tappet, dobby and jacquard loom, hand operated loom, ordinary power loom, automatic power loom and modern loom with CAD system. Modern looms include air-jet loom, rapier loom with electronic jacquard, projectile looms.
- The Knitting Laboratory is equipped with warp and weft knitting machinery. Warp knitting machinery includes raschel and tricot machines and weft knitting machines include circular (single jersey, interlock, rib, jacquard) and flat knitting machines.
- The Wet Process Laboratory includes machinery for singeing, desizing, mercerizing, dyeing, printing and finishing. The laboratory can dye material as fibre, yarn and fabric form and style of printing. The laboratory has a computerized data colour system, gas chromatography and mass spectrophotometer, light fastness and other quality control equipment required to ensure dyeing and finishing qualities.
- The Apparel Laboratory is equipped with cutting, sewing and finishing machinery used in garments industry. The laboratory is equipped with Lectra CAD-CAM system for computerized marker making and cutting and garments dyeing, washing and embroidery machine.
- The Testing Laboratory can test fibre, yarn and fabric. The laboratory has testing machines including evenness testing, Classimat, single yarn strength tester, multifunctional Superba tester, HFT and electronic microscope.
- The Computer Laboratory provides a facility for 40 students at a time. There are facilities to use the internet for teachers and students.
- The Electronic Laboratory is also equipped with pneumatic and electro-pneumatic control systems.
- The Physics Laboratory is equipped with machinery and equipment for graduate students.
- The Chemistry Laboratory provides for 40 students at a time.
- The Mechanical Workshop has lathes, universal strength tester, shaping machine, cutting machine, drill machine, welding machine, circular saw, tools for carpentry and many other common and heavy industrial machines.
The majority of the universities textile graduates take posts in the textile manufacturing industries as process or plant managers, development engineers or technologists. Graduates have found employment in production management, design, textile testing and quality assurance, new product development, buying house, commercial banks, customs, etc. A large number of BUTex alumni are working in the industries and academia both in Bangladesh and around the world.
Halls of residence
There are three residence halls to provide housing for BUTex students. Administrative head of a residence hall is its provost. The Sheikh Hasina Hall is for female students, and the remaining two halls are for male students studying in the undergraduate level. The halls are named after eminent figures (except the Sheikh Hasina Hall) in the history of Bangladesh. These are listed below:
- Badhon (voluntary blood donor organization), BUTex unit
- BUTex Anime & Comic Club
- BUTex Bondhushova
- BUTex Chess Club
- BUTex Cyclists Circle
- BUTex Debating Club
- BUTex Drama Society
- BUTex Film Society
- BUTex Gamer Maze
- BUTex Journalist Society
- BUTex Photographic Society
- BUTex Science Club
- BUTex Shuhrid Shomabesh
- Ekattor Cultural Club
- ExCa BUTex
- KhaddoShikari Goshthi of BUTex
- Megamind Invention Club
- Phothik BUTex
- Youth Against Hunger (YAH), BUTex unit
- BUTex Science Club
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
- Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET)
- Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET)
- Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET)
- Islamic University of Technology (IUT)
- Military Institute of Science and Technology (MIST)
- Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST)
- Textile schools in Bangladesh
- "Bangladeh University of Textiles". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "First and only textile university of Bangladesh".
- "PM opens first textile university of Bangladesh".
- "PM opens first textile university". bdnews24.com. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "BADHAN - A Voluntary Blood Donors' Organization". Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Log into Facebook - Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Ekattor cultural club". Facebook. Retrieved 16 June 2015.