The Dolder Grand (formerly known as Grand Hotel Dolder) is a 5 star superior hotel in the Swiss city of Zürich. It is located on Adlisberg hill, some 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from, and 200 metres (660 ft) above, the city centre. Built in 1899, the hotel spreads out over 40,000 square metres (430,000 sq ft) and offers 173 rooms and suites, two restaurants, a bar, 13 conference rooms and a 4,000-square-metre (43,000 sq ft) spa.
The Dolder Grand Hotel & Curhaus was built between 1897 and 1899, to a design by the architect Jacques Gros for the restauranter Heinrich Hürlimann. Hürlimann had previously developed the nearby Dolder Waldhaus hotel, also designed by Gros, and the Dolderbahn to serve it. The Dolder Grand opened on 10 May 1899, and was extended in 1924 and 1964.
In 2001, Urs Schwarzenbach became the majority shareholder, and in 2004 the hotel closed for an extensive renovation, reopening on April 3, 2008. The renovation and enlargement were led by Norman Foster and cost SFr 440 million. The restoration maintained the original appearance from 1899, and all the extensions added after that date were demolished. Two new wings were added, adjacent to the old building, whilst two additional floors were added below the existing building.
Before the hotel opened for guests, it had free open days when the public could visit the hotel on predefined paths. The people were waiting up to an hour to enter the new rooms.
On March 29, 2019, Dolder Hotel AG announced that Dolder Grand guests could pay their bills with Bitcoin as of May 1, making it the first Swiss luxury hotel to accept the cryptocurrency as payment. The hotel struck a deal with blockchain technology company Inacta AG to use its Inapay app, which converts Bitcoin into Swiss francs, thereby eliminating any currency risk for the hotel.
- O'Ceallaigh, John. "The Dolder Grand, Zurich, Switzerland". The Telegraph. Archived from the original on 13 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Urs Schwarzenbach – He renovated the famous Grand Hotel Dolder of Zurich". Hotelresortinsider.com. Archived from the original on 5 October 2015. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "225 - Zürich" (Map). Dolder (2017 ed.). 1:50'000. National Map 1:50'000. Wabern, Switzerland: Federal Office of Topography – swisstopo. 2013. ISBN 978-3-302-00225-5. Retrieved 2017-07-15 – via map.geo.admin.ch.
- "Directions - The Dolder Grand". Dolder Hotel AG. Archived from the original on 13 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "History - The Dolder Grand". Dolder Hotel AG. Archived from the original on 13 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Luxus im Luftkurort Zürich" [Luxury in the air cure Zürich]. Neue Zürcher Zeitung (in German). 16 March 2008. Archived from the original on 22 June 2017. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Innige Umarmung und enges Korsett". Tages-Anzeiger. Archived from the original on 12 September 2012. Retrieved 30 March 2008.
- "20 Minuten - Ansturm auf das Dolder Grand - Zuerich". 20 Minuten. Archived from the original on 1 April 2008. Retrieved 30 March 2008.
- "The Dolder Grand Hotel accepts payments in Bitcoin with new inapay app". www.presseportal-schweiz.ch (in German). 29 March 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grand Hotel Dolder.|
|This article about a Swiss hotel or resort is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|