|Marketing target||Smartphones, tablet computers, laptops, and smartwatches|
|Default user interface||Graphical (multi-touch)|
Hongmeng OS (Chinese: 鸿蒙OS; pinyin: Hóngméng OS), alternatively Ark OS, is an Android-app compatible operating system under development by Huawei since 2012 towards their future products. To date and despite speculation, the company has not yet publicly designated an official name on the release of the operating system.
In a published newspaper interview with Die Welt, Huawei executive Richard stated that such an Operating System (OS) could be used as a Plan B if it were prevented from using Android or Windows as the result of U.S. restrictions, but that he would "prefer to work with the ecosystems of Google and Microsoft". Huawei, since June 2019, has been treating EMUI as an operating system, sparking rumours about Hongmeng OS' final naming. Some media outlets claim Hongmeng OS could be released in China in either August or September 2019 with a worldwide release in the second quarter of 2020.
It is not known whether or not Hongmeng OS will be based on AOSP. However, international trade lawyer Kevin Wolf explained that Huawei would not be allowed to use AOSP, since a considerable part of AOSP is made by Google, which is a US company, and thus, AOSP is subject to US trade regulations.
On 24 May 2019, Huawei registered "Hongmeng OS" as a patented trademark in China for active validity until 13 May 2029. That same day, Huawei registered the following trademarks with the European Union Intellectual Property Office and in the respective offices of member states
- Huawei Ark OS
- Huawei Ark
- Ark OS
It has been reported that Hongmeng OS will be called as such in China while being called Ark OS elsewhere. Some media outlets have reported the version outside China will be called Oak OS, but it is possibly a mispronunciation of Ark OS as Huawei has registered the trademark as Ark OS.
Android Green Alliance
Android Green Alliance is the Chinese counterpart to Open Handset Alliance, composed of Alibaba, Baidu, Tencent, NetEase, and led by Huawei. It sets development standards for Android apps in China.
- Li, Deng (May 24, 2019). "Hongmeng: Here's everything you need to know about Huawei's Operating System".
- Torres, J. C. (May 29, 2019). "HongMeng "Ark" OS – Huawei's Android replacement: what we know so far". SlashGear.
- "Huawei confirms it has its own OS on back shelf as a plan B". South China Morning Post. 14 March 2019.
- Faulkner, Cameron (14 March 2019). "Huawei developed its own operating systems in case it's banned from using Android and Windows". The Verge. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- Kharpal, Arjun (15 March 2019). "Huawei built software for smartphones and laptops in case it can't use Microsoft or Google". CNBC. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- Salza, César. "Huawei tiene nombre y fecha para el sistema operativo: reporte". CNET en Español.
- Warren, Tom (May 23, 2019). "Huawei's Android and Windows alternatives are destined for failure". The Verge.
- Kharpal, Arjun (May 23, 2019). "Huawei says its own operating system could be ready this year if it can't use Google or Microsoft". CNBC.
- Times, Global (June 7, 2019). "#Huawei is intensively testing its own operating system [...]". Twitter.
- Cherrayil, Naushad K.; phones, John McCann 2019-05-28T15:33:46Z Mobile. "Huawei says its Android OS replacement launch date is still undecided [Updated]". TechRadar.
- phones, John McCann 2019-05-28T09:07:56Z Mobile. "Huawei may be building an Ark (OS) as it prepares for life after Android". TechRadar.
- Blumenthal, Eli. "Huawei's HongMeng Android alternative launch date uncertain". CNET.
- Amadeo, Ron (June 10, 2019). "Huawei's export ban is wider in scope than most people imagine". Ars Technica.
- Reichert, Corinne. "Huawei OS may be called 'Hongmeng,' but it's reportedly 'far from ready'". CNET.
- "Who Needs Google's Android? Huawei Trademarks Its Own Smartphone OS". May 24, 2019 – via www.wsj.com.
- Jaszly, Airyl (May 24, 2019). "Huawei trademarks Hongmeng name, possibly for their upcoming OS".
- Lucic, Kristijan (2019-05-27). "Huawei's Android Alternative May Be Called "Ark OS"". Android Headlines. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- Pocket-lint (2019-06-10). "It sounds like Huawei's new OS is coming to the Mate 30 in October". Pocket-lint. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- "Huawei Oak OS Android alternative coming with Mate 30?". June 8, 2019.
- "Huawei platform apparently titled Oak OS and coming August or September". Android Authority. June 7, 2019.
- "Huawei's operating system expected to arrive this fall - GSMArena.com news". GSMArena.com.
- "Android green alliance was established to focus to enhance the Android user experience-IT - ChineseMicroNews". www.chinesemicronews.cc.
- Friedman, Alan. "Screenshots from patent filing could show Huawei's Android replacement". Phone Arena.