Hyoyeon in April 2017
September 22, 1989
Incheon, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hyo-yeon|
Kim Hyo-yeon (born September 22, 1989), better known mononymously as Hyoyeon, is a South Korean singer and television personality. She debuted as a member of girl group Girls' Generation in August 2007, who went on to be one of the best-selling artists in South Korea and one of South Korea's most popular girl groups worldwide.
Hyoyeon was born in Incheon, South Korea on September 22, 1989. She grew up with her parents and her younger brother, Kim Min-gu. Hyoyeon's formal dance training started in elementary school. At her neighborhood's small hip-hop school, she learned hip hop, jazz and Latin dance. In 1999, she enrolled in Winners Dance School, a famous dance school in South Korea specializing in popping, locking, animation and various other hip-hop styles. At the school she met Miss A's Min, with whom she formed the dance team Little Winners (리틀위너스). The duo performed at various showcases and was spotlighted by HipHoper.com in 2004.
Hyoyeon auditioned for S.M. Entertainment at the age of 11 through SM 2000 Casting System. Hyoyeon said she auditioned because her mother brought her to the offices of S.M. Entertainment in the hopes of meeting H.O.T. Hyoyeon then danced in an audition show. In 2004, along with Super Junior's Siwon, she was sent to study Chinese in Beijing. She received dance instruction from the Electric Boogaloos and top choreographers such as Kim Hye-rang, Poppin Seen, Kwang Hoo (aka Crazy Monkey), Poppin DS, Kwon Seok-jin (aka Locking Khan) and Black Beat's Shim Jae-won. She also worked with one of Justin Timberlake's choreographers and a few foreign teachers.
Before debuting with Girls' Generation, she worked with Janet Jackson and was BoA's silhouette dancer during a performance at M.net KM Music Festival 2005. In 2007, she teamed up with Jae Won for a dance collaboration to "Anonymous". Hyoyeon was also picked as Korea's No. 1 idol dancer on Star News.
2007–14: Career beginnings
On March 7, 2010, Hyoyeon and fellow Girls' Generation members Jessica and Sooyoung played cameo roles in episode 7 of the SBS television mini-series Oh! My Lady, starring Chae Rim and labelmate Choi Siwon. In November 2011, Hyoyeon and fellow Girls' Generation member Sunny became cast members for the second season of Invincible Youth, a South Korean reality television show.
In April 2012, Hyoyeon became a contestant in the second season of Dancing with the Stars, a competitive ballroom dancing television show. Hyoyeon and her partner, Kim Hyung-seok, ended up winning second place. In October 2012, Hyoyeon participated in S.M. Entertainment's special dance group Younique. The group released a single titled "Maxstep" as part of the collaboration between S.M. and Hyundai.
In January 2013, Hyoyeon made a guest appearance on the television show Blind Test Show 180 Degrees, where she took on the challenge of dancing to various types of club music. In May 2013, Hyoyeon was chosen as an Asian ambassador for the Hong Kong branch of Topshop. In June 2013, Hyoyeon and fellow Girls' Generation member Yuri became coaches for the contestants on Dancing 9, a competitive dancing television show.
2015–present: Television roles and solo music
On February 12, 2015, Hyoyeon was featured in labelmate Amber's "Shake That Brass" music video, in which she plays a trumpet. On March 14, 2015, Hyoyeon was featured as the rapper in a performance by boyband S on Immortal Songs 2, with which they won with 423 points. In June 2015, Hyoyeon began hosting her own reality television show, Hyoyeon's One Million Likes, broadcast on OnStyle. Before the show was officially announced, an Instagram account was created where Hyoyeon posted pictures and videos with the goal of receiving one million likes from fans. On July 1, 2015, Hyoyeon became the first Girls' Generation member to publish a book with Hyo Style, in which she shares tips on beauty, fashion and lifestyle. The book contains 142 pages and comes with a DVD. In September 2015, Hyoyeon became a contestant alongside Seo In Young, MBLAQ member Mir and AOA member Hyejeong, among others, in a television show titled Mash Up, where they competed in DJ-ing. On September 11, 2015, Hyoyeon was featured in rapper Vasco's "Whoa Ha!" music video, where guest stars lip-sync along to the song.
On February 3, 2016, Hyoyeon was a special MC on the OnStyle television show Get It Beauty. In May 2015, she became a cast member of the Korean-Chinese reality television show Star Advent. The show followed 12 Korean and Chinese celebrities tasked with working as office workers in foreign countries and premiered on July 9. In June 2016, she became a contestant alongside Shinee member Taemin, Sistar member Bora and Infinite member Hoya, among others, in the Mnet television show Hit The Stage, where they collaborate with professional dancers to compete in different genres of dancing under a given theme.
Later in June 2016, Hyoyeon was featured in the song "Up & Down" from fellow Girls' Generation member Taeyeon's second mini-album Why. In August 2016, she collaborated with miss A member Min and 2AM member Jo Kwon to form a special group named Triple T and release a single titled "Born to Be Wild", featuring Park Jin-young, as part of S.M. Entertainment's Station music project. In December 2016, Hyoyeon released her first solo song since debut titled "Mystery" as another single for SM Station. To accompany her solo release, she performed the song on various Korean music shows and starred in her reality show, Hyoyeon's 10 Million Likes 2.
|As lead artist|
|"Mystery"||2016||19||—||12||N/A||S.M. Station Season 1|
(feat. San E)
|"Up & Down"
(Taeyeon feat. Hyoyeon)
(as part of Younique Unit)
||PYL Younique Volume 1|
|"Born to be Wild"
(as part of Triple T, feat. Park Jin-young)
|2016||59||164||11||N/A||S.M. Station Season 1|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|2012||I AM.||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2015||SMTown The Stage||Herself||Documentary film of SM Town|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||KBS||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo|
|2010||Oh! My Lady||SBS||Herself|
|2007||Cutie Honey, Mini Musical||KBS2||A bully||with Yuri & Jessica|
|2011–2012||Invincible Youth 2||KBS||Main Cast||with Sunny|
|2011||Dalgona||SBS||Herself||with Yuri & Sooyoung|
|2012||Dancing with the Stars 2||MBC||Main Cast||Hyoyeon & Kim Hyung-suk won 2nd place|
|2013||Blind Test Show 180 Degrees||Herself|
|Dancing 9||Mnet||Coach||with Yuri|
|2014||Jessica & Krystal||OnStyle||Herself||with Tiffany & Shindong|
|2015||Hyoyeon's One Million Likes||OnStyle||Herself|
|Channel Girls' Generation||With the other members of Girls Generation|
|Mash Up||SBS MTV||Contestant|
|2016||Get It Beauty||OnStyle||Herself|
|Star Advent||Shandong TV||Main Cast|
|Hyoyeon's 10 Million Likes||OnStyle||Herself|
|Hit The Stage||Mnet||Contestant|
|2012||MBC Entertainment Awards||Female Newcomer Show Variety for Dancing With The Stars 2||Won|
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 72. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- (in Korean) Girls' Generation UCC Story, July 19, 2007.
- (in Korean) 소녀시대 댄스퀸 효연 "초등학교 때 힙합스쿨 다녀", 뉴스엔, August 1, 2007.
- (in Korean) 민과 소녀시대 효연 데뷔전부터 친분사진 눈길, JESNews.co.kr, February 3, 2008.
- (in Korean) 귀여운 팝퍼, 리틀위너스, 힙합퍼, January 27, 2004.
- (in Korean) As seen on KBS 2TV Champagne (신동엽신봉선의 샴페인), March 14, 2009.
- (in Korean) As seen on MBCevery1 Flower Boys Generation (지금은 꽃미남시대), April 8, 2009.
- (in Korean) 효연, '댄스 DNA'를 타고난 춤꾼", 조엔 CHOEN, February 13, 2009. Retrieved on May 21, 2010.
- (in Korean) 세계 제패한 이효리춤선생 스타킹 깜짝출연 "최고의 댄서 교수 되고싶다", 뉴스엔, December 14, 2008.
- (in Korean) As seen on MTV Girls' Generation, Episode 8, October 25, 2007.
- (in Korean) 데프 댄스스쿨 강남점 소울 왁킹반 영진샘 프리스타일 영상, 데프댄스스쿨, May 8, 2010.
- (in Korean) Poppin DS Official website
- (in Korean) Locking Khan Official website
- Girls' Generation. HMI Magazine. 2010-12-15. p. 09.
Dancing queen of the next generation, Hyoyeon had received many dancing training from stars like Justin, Janet Jackson.
- (in Korean) 소녀시대 효연..."데뷔 전 연습생 시절 보아 선배 대역", 이데일리 SPN, August 7, 2007.
- (in Korean) 음악의 색깔, 멤버와 그룹의 이미지가 조화되는 것이 좋은 안무, 10 아시아, February 5, 2009.
- SM Entertainment Girls' Generation Profile SMTown.com. Retrieved on January 30, 2013.
- (in Korean) 소녀시대, 최시원과 의리 지키며 '오 마이 레이디'서 카메오 출연, 아시아경제, March 7, 2010. Retrieved on April 9, 2010.
- SNSD's Hyoyeon and Sunny confirmed for Invincible Youth 2 allkpop.com
- Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon to join the cast of 'Dancing with the Stars 2'
- pkdance (2012-10-30). "Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon wins gold medal in skiing competitionGirls' Generation's Hyoyeon poses for '0/1 Creative Book'". Allkpop.com. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- Hyoyeon show off her dance on 'Blind Test Show 180 degrees' allkpop
- "Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon chosen as a new Asian ambassador for Topshop Hong Kong". hellokpop. 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- Hyoyeon and Yuri will soon appear on "Dancing 9"
- Min-woo, Yu-ri, Hyo-yeon join Mnet’s ‘Dancing 9’ as K-POP dance masters Star.naver.com (June 17, 2013). Retrieved on December 11, 2014.
- S(Kangta, Lee Ji Hoon) bring out Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon for a collaboration on 'Immortal Song' allkpop.com
- (in Korean) [단독]소시 효연, 단독 버라이어티 도전…'효연의 백만 라이크'
- 'article of Hyoyeon's one million likes on soshified'
- SNSD's Hyoyeon's book 'Hyo Style' to release this July
- Hyoyeon, MBLAQ's Mir, AOA's Hyejeong, Seo In Young and Sleepy confirmed for upcoming show 'Mash Up' allkpop.com
- Vasco gathers up his celebrity friends in his new MV allkpop.com
- "당신을 바꿔줄 뷰티 습관 '겟잇뷰티 2016' 첫방송" (in Korean). newsfact.kr. February 3, 2016. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Girls' Generation's Sunny and Hyoyeon to team up on Chinese-Korean variety show 'Star Advent'". Allkpop. May 3, 2016. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Hyoyeon, Bora, Hoya, Momo, And More Confirmed For "Hit The Stage"". Soompi. June 24, 2016. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Mnet's new dance survival show 'Hit The Stage' confirms full lineup of idol competitors". Allkpop. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Which Girls' Generation member is featuring in Taeyeon's upcoming album?". Allkpop. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "S.M. and JYP join forces for epic collaboration". The Jakarta Post. August 25, 2016. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- Lee Da-hye (December 1, 2016). "효연, 첫 솔로곡 '미스터리' 베일 벗었다". Asia Today (in Korean). Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "Girls' Generations' Hyoyeon to put out new solo track". The Korea Herald. May 26, 2017. Retrieved June 16, 2017.
- Alibaba Music Chart
- ALIBABA PLANET. "Born to be Wild - Alibaba Music Chart (2016年8月21日 - 2016年8月28日)". xiami.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- ALIBABA PLANET. "Mystery - Alibaba Music Chart (2016年11月27日 - 2016年12月4日)". xiami.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- ALIBABA PLANET. "Wannabe - Alibaba Music Chart (2017年5月28日 - 2017年6月4日)". xiami.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- Peak positions on the Gaon Digital Chart:
- Peak positions on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart:
- "Born to be Wild - World Digital Songs (September 17, 2016)". Billboard Charts.
- "Mystery - Billboard World Digital (December 24, 2016)". Billboard chart.
- "Wannabe - Billboard World Digital (June 24, 2017)". Billboard chart.
- "2016년 27주차 Download Chart (see #42)". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 45, 2012 (see #188)". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- (in Korean) 'SM타운' 공연실황 다큐, 8월13일 국내개봉 확정
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Hyo-yeon.|